Mountcastle's bruise could leave O's shorthanded

wildcard

O's have been going with a three man bench.   Hyde announced that Hays would not be available for today's 1 pm game because of a tight hamstring.   So the drops the bench to two.   Then Mountcastle got hit on the hand.   Hyde said he will not know Mountcastle's availability until he can test it this morning.  That could make the bench only the backup catcher.

So what did O's management do last night.  Did the put someone from the Tides on a plane from Charlotte?   And how would they make space?  Hays and Mountcastle aren't likely to go on the IL over short term injuries.  Do they option or DFA a pitcher?    There are more questions than answers at this point.

McKenna has not been in the minors for 10 days yet so the call up, if there is one, will not be him.

So you are telling us Hays may not be available because of a sore hamstring? Weird, he's such an ironman. ;)

I'm sure the Orioles will just start Wilkerson out there. Can't have enough outfielders who dive 8 feet short of a ball. 

Ok, enough sarcasm (might as well smile at this train wreck than despair), Wilkerson and Valaika have enough versatility that it's ok to be short a few games but if if we're looking at 5-6 days, they probably need to option a pitcher like Akin once McKenna is available to be recalled.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

O's have been going with a three man bench.   Hyde announced that Hays would not be available for today's 1 pm game because of a tight hamstring.   So the drops the bench to two.   Then Mountcastle got hit on the hand.   Hyde said he will not know Mountcastle's availability until he can test it this morning.  That could make the bench only the backup catcher.

So what did O's management do last night.  Did the put someone from the Tides on a plane from Charlotte to BWI?   And how would they make space?  Hays and Mountcastle aren't likely to go on the IL over short term injuries.  Do they option or DFA a pitcher?    There are more questions than answers at this point.

McKenna has not been in the minors for 10 days yet so the call up, if there is one, will not be him.

With Diaz hurt and McKenna not eligible, it would likely be one of the 40-man infielders if they recall someone. Martin is hurt, so that leaves Bannon, Urias, Nevin and Jahmai Jones. None are doing particularly well at Norfolk. Jones is hitting the best so he makes the most sense.

You can recall someone like McKenna who has been down for less than 10 days if he is replacing an injured player.  Hays has his monthly hamstring injury now, why not just get out in front of it and IL him?  At worst it costs us what........maybe 4 or 5 games that he could have been back for sooner?     Not sure we should care.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

With Diaz hurt and McKenna not eligible, it would likely be one of the 40-man infielders if they recall someone. Martin is hurt, so that leaves Bannon, Urias, Nevin and Jahmai Jones. None are doing particularly well at Norfolk. Jones is hitting the best so he makes the most sense.

According to Norfolktides.com, Jones is on the IL.

Just now, Aglets said:

You can recall someone like McKenna who has been down for less than 10 days if he is replacing an injured player.  Hays has his monthly hamstring injury now, why not just get out in front of it and IL him?  At worst it costs us what........maybe 4 or 5 games that he could have been back for sooner?     Not sure we should care.

I don't think Hays is that far away, he may well be available tomorrow. There is enough detrius that can be optioned in the bullpen, that I wouldn't IL Hays. If you absolutely must recall McKenna,, who is to say that one of the ineffective pitcher didn't step into a pothole on their walk to the hotel last night?

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

So you are telling us Hays may not be available because of a sore hamstring? Weird, he's such an ironman. ;)

I'm sure the Orioles will just start Wilkerson out there. Can't have enough outfielders who dive 8 feet short of a ball. 

Ok, enough sarcasm (might as well smile at this train wreck than despair), Wilkerson and Valaika have enough versatility that it's ok to be short a few games but if if we're looking at 5-6 days, they probably need to option a pitcher like Akin once McKenna is available to be recalled.

The outfield is probably Stewart in left, Mullins in CF, Santander in right.   Wilkerson and Valaika will be a 2B and DH. Its hard to be versatile when playing DH.