Austin Wynns in Baltimore per Roch

rm5678

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes I agree. He’s a shill. But I was actually talking about Hyde. It is kind of nauseating that these guys jump through hoops to avoid saying anything negative about players. It is entirely possible to be honest and tactful at the same time.

Sorry, I misunderstood your original point. I think it's a fine line for managers in criticizing the play of their team to the media. I don't care what's said to the press so much as it gets addressed with the players behind closed doors.

The way the media likes to create controversies out of the smallest things today and players taking offense to public criticism, I can understand dancing around this topic with sports writers. It would be nice if managers could be more open and direct to the fans, but I think those days are gone. 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Actually yea, I would start Severino over Wynns.  Wynns isn’t a good option.  The only hope is that he can hit for a few weeks because he is hitting well right now. 

But he’s not good.

Neither is Severino.  At least Wynns may have improved a bit with some more maturity and experience.  Severino is what he is...a poor hitter and a poor receiver.  I don't 'like' either one, but right now I'd rather see Wynns get at bats and time behind the plate than Severino.

Just now, glenn__davis said:

It says a lot more about what people think about Severino than about Wynns.  Severino can't catch the baseball. 

Wynns didn't look plus to me behind the plate but when you compare him to Severino and Sisco...

If you got three guys that can't hit you might as well go with the one that can field.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wynns didn't look plus to me behind the plate but when you compare him to Severino and Sisco...

If you got three guys that can't hit you might as well go with the one that can field.

If only we had a guy in the minors that could do both. 

7 hours ago, Philip said:

You can be honest without being rude, and I the players would respect it. If you say, “player X is not playing up to the standards that we require” Does anybody on the team, including player X himself, disagree with that? You haven’t been rude, you haven’t engaged in hyperbole or been insulting, you’re just being honest. Nobody in the clubhouse would have a problem with that, I think they would respect it. Don’t you think that those guys go home and tell their wives, “Man that shortstop of ours is terrible I wish they’d get rid of him,” or “I hate pitching with that second baseman behind me because he’s such a lousy glove.”

Hyde Needs to have the guts to be honest, and I think that he will get more respect if he does so.

It doesn’t matter what he says in public. It matters what he says behind closed doors.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, survivedc said:

I think Nuanced Philip is complaining about Hyde, not Roch. He wants Hyde to publicly criticize his players abilities. Why Hyde won’t do that we’ll never know.

Hello - because he's Mr. Hyde.  Dr. Jekyll would, of course.  ?  Oh wait - do I have that reversed????

• Haha 1

In over 2000 career PA in the minors, Wynns has an OPs of 707.

His highest OPs in a full season is 796...at AA at the age of 26.  He has had a sub 700 OPS in 4 seasons, including the 2019 AAA season, at age 28, where everyone was hitting well.

He has a 610 OPS in his ML time.

Defense will likely be improved but not the point where it will really matter.

Couple interesting comments from Roch’s Blog:

• You may have miss the comments of Palmer yesterday when he said, "I NEVER threw a pitch to a Catcher who didn't give me a TARGET". That was a true statement about Seve. He does it too often and it hurt pitchers with their ability to focus on what the two of them are trying to do.

•  

BigDaddyDK  Todd Beall4 hours ago

And, what, 22 wild pitches while he's behind the plate? A lot of that's on pitchers but catchers have to help them out some. If you can't trust your catcher, the pitch in the dirt isn't a part of your arsenal.

14 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Wynns signed, Sisco optioned, Martin to 60 day IL.

I was wondering which move I wanted to see: dumping Severino, dumping Sisco, or just optioning Sisco. I wanted to dump both but that wasn’t an option.

Failing that, I wanted to dump somebody. Not option but send away, far away, where we’d never see them again and could pretend this unpleasantness was just a bad dream.

This is not the best outcome. But it’s sure better than the way things were yesterday.

I would have preferred a focus on defense. Wynns is not the best defender among the available options and he doesn’t hit well. I’m sure he’s an improvement but a defense-first catcher would have been more significant.

Why are the guys only focusing on offense? Sisco isn’t hitting as well as Severino so he’s the one who goes, without consideration of defense? And Wynns only comes up because he’s been hitting well on the farm?