Who do you trade when you are building towards winning?

Sports Guy

35 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

Unless I missed something, why would the Padres even consider trading Abrams at this point?

Everyone can be had.  The closest player to untouchable not named Trout is Wander Franco.  

Abrams could definitely be had if the Pads deem a need to be there and the player they get is an elite guy.

2 hours ago, Gentile4 said:

Unless I missed something, why would the Padres even consider trading Abrams at this point?

Means. They’re in 3rd place right now.  If the Dodgers and Giants get involved, the right bidding war could take place.  Big “if” though  , they can avoid that WC game  

All of the focus by Os fans is how hard it is to compete against Boston and NY and while they definitely have a spending advantage, they don’t have an intelligence advantage and to me, that is far more deadly.

When evaluating things, we are so far behind Tampa right now.  We certainly can close that gap quickly if players develop and the team spends money but Tampa currently has one of the best farm systems we have ever seen.  

When deciding who we trade and who we keep, we have to keep in mind what everyone else is doing and where they are at and the focus, imo, should be on Tampa, not Boston and NY.

I may even put Toronto over them Too.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

COUGH COUGH BRITTON!!!!!!!!!!!! COUGH COUGH

I wanted the Orioles to shop Britton after 2016 to see if any irresistible trade offers would be made. Very few relievers will have a long run like Mariano Rivera or Trevor Hoffman, and you're doing your franchise a disservice by not cashing in high on a dominate relief pitcher. 

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I wanted the Orioles to shop Britton after 2016 to see if any irresistible trade offers would be made. Very few relievers will have a long run like Mariano Rivera or Trevor Hoffman, and you're doing your franchise a disservice by not cashing in high on a dominate relief pitcher. 

I've exhausted this argument over the years but I firmly believe that trading Machado and Britton after the Encarnacion walkoff was the best path forward for an organization that had received clear signals Machado was definitely gone. It would have been terrible PR, yes... but they could have turned the minor league talent situation around quickly.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I've exhausted this argument over the years but I firmly believe that trading Machado and Britton after the Encarnacion walkoff was the best path forward for an organization that had received clear signals Machado was definitely gone. It would have been terrible PR, yes... but they could have turned the minor league talent situation around quickly.

Not trading them at that point is arguably the worst decision the organization has ever made.

Way worse than the Ubaldo or Davis signings.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Yep. They waited wayyy too long, and they also ran themselves into a corner whereby nearly every impact player was coming up on the end of their contract/control at the same time. So there was no way to do a "soft" rebuild while remaining not embarrassing. Their only option was to trade guys at the bottom of their value and play with a bunch of scrubs. 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

When evaluating things, we are so far behind Tampa right now.  We certainly can close that gap quickly if players develop and the team spends money but Tampa currently has one of the best farm systems we have ever seen.  

What the Rays do optimizes $$$/WAR but that is different from fielding the best team, or even respecting the play of a sport and the basic pursuit of excellence.

Their competitive level ongoing probably will be affected more than any club if the Union succeeds at re-working the system some to get players paid when they are good.   I believe Adley will at some point in 2023 get to talk smack to Wander in the general area of, "Tyler Glasnow sure was hard to hit when I broke in, too bad he's gone".    

Whereas I expect the peak Adley teams will intemittently enjoy stuff like Eduardo for Andrew Miller, or more ideally Joe Musgrove, etc for Gerrit Cole happening.

I think outside of Mountcastle and maybe Mullins every one on the ML roster should be available if the deal is good enough. 

Can't afford another Machado situation where the return is severely lessened by waiting too long to make a deal.