O's trade Taylor Davis to Bucs for Jose Berroa

ChipTait

I remember one time reading an article that when the Astros were rebuilding,  they were king of the "back fields", and were aware of all kinds of young prospects that were way under the radar. 

Based on the last 3 years of trades, seems like Elias has carried that over (with Perez's help) in asking for this young International signees that are well off the beaten path of coverage. 

• Upvote 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Mateo has had some bad plays too. He booted one, had the failed play at 2nd where Gunnar got the error, and made a pretty weak throw on Friday night that allowed a runner to reach.
    • I wanted him in the offseason. 
    • Yeah, I don't get it. I mean, Urias can play 2B. Leave Westburg at 3B like they did with Gunnar at SS and let Mateo and Urias split 2B duties for now.
    • He doesn't have to. But yea, whomever is running him out there is going to decide to.
    • The Red Sox got picks 132 and 133 in 2023 for Eovaldi and Bogaerts. The Mets got 134 and 135 in 2023 for Bassitt and DeGrom. The Dodgers got 136 and 137 in 2023 for Turner and Anderson. The Yankees ended up keeping their guys, so they got nothing.  
    • I have attached a link to the latest SABR Defensive Index (SDI) player rankings, updated yesterday for games through June 7. (Although I'm pretty sure I've posted one or more of these in the past, I couldn't find a previous thread on SDIs. It doesn't quite fit under Gold Glove awards or discussions. But then again, I often can't kind my phone, my keys and/or my wallet, so there may be an extant thread that is eluding me.) https://sabr.org/sdi The SDI is a compliation of defensive statatics: "A composite measure of fielding based on five fielding metrics and computed by a committee working under the auspices of the Society for American Baseball Research. Four of the metrics comprising it are zone rating statistic; Chris Dial's Runs Effectively Defended, John Dewan's Defensive Runs Saved, Sean Smith's Total Zone Rating, and Mitchel Lichtman's Ultimate Zone Rating. The fifth metric, Michael Humphrey's Defensive Regression Analysis, is based on conventional fielding indices but uses statistical procedures to rid them of bias. The Index constitutes 25 percent of the method used to determine Gold Glove Award winners."  I belive zero is supposed to be league average. The Oriole highlight of the update is that Gunnar Henderson is first among MLB shortstops, is tied for fourth among all AL fielders (Texas' Marcus Semien is way ahead of the rest of the field), and is tied for seventh among all MLB fielders.  Here arevthe rankings for the Orioles among qualifying AL fielders, with comparisons to qualifiers on the team we're chasing right now. Some of the rankings seem quite odd to me, but in a rare moment of conciseness I'm refraining from comment. Pitcher -  Burnes is 21st, with a negative SDI. Three NY starters (Cortes, Stroman and Gil) are ranked higher than that.  Catcher - Rutschman is eighth. The NYYs' Jose Trevino and Austin Wells are third and tied for ninth. 1B - Mountcastle is fourth (highest among AL East 1Bmen). The NYYs' Anthony Rizzo is sixth. 2B - No Oriole qualifier. The NYYs' Gleyber Torres is seventh of nine qualifiers, with a negative SDI. SS - Training Gunnar in spots 2-4 are Volpe, then Seager and Witt in a tie. 3B - Westburg is fifth, one spot behind the NYYs' Oswaldo Cabrera.  LF - Cowser is third, well behind Verdugo in first. CF - Mullins is tenth (with a negative SDI). Judge is tied for fourth. RF - Santana is tenth (with a negative SDI). Soto is tied for second.   
    • I understand, but Crochet is going to run into an innings limit later this season.  He would then have to go to the pen this season.   We do need help, no doubt about it.  It will be very interesting to see how Elias handles who he targets and what he's willing to deal away.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now