Cedric Mullins: Human Highlight Reel

Tony-OH

From that article:

“Ranging 69 feet to his right, Mullins needed just four seconds to take an extra-base hit away from Villar with a diving catch in the left-center-field gap.

Per Statcast, the play registered as 25 percent catch probability, making it the lowest (most difficult) converted by an Orioles player this season. He used a jump that was +8.3 feet compared to the MLB average on similar plays. “

What I want to know is, is there a place you can go to see this data about an individual play?   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

From that article:

“Ranging 69 feet to his right, Mullins needed just four seconds to take an extra-base hit away from Villar with a diving catch in the left-center-field gap.

Per Statcast, the play registered as 25 percent catch probability, making it the lowest (most difficult) converted by an Orioles player this season. He used a jump that was +8.3 feet compared to the MLB average on similar plays. “

What I want to know is, is there a place you can go to see this data about an individual play?   

Whenever I search Statcast myself, I get info about the result (pitch data, exit velo, distance, result) but I never find the Statcast fielding info. I don't see much reason to 'hide' fielding data or put it behind a paywall, so I have to wonder if it's my input that's at fault. I searched this play too but only see the basic info on the pitch/play, nothing about Mullins.  

6 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

Whenever I search Statcast myself, I get info about the result (pitch data, exit velo, distance, result) but I never find the Statcast fielding info. I don't see much reason to 'hide' fielding data or put it behind a paywall, so I have to wonder if it's my input that's at fault. I searched this play too but only see the basic info on the pitch/play, nothing about Mullins.  

There are times l’ll watch a play and wonder what the Statcast data was for that play.  I wish there was a way to get it (or if there is, that I knew what it was).

I remember reading post after post last year on here how he is a 4th OF at best with a weak arm and would never hit at the major league level. Many were calling for him to be removed from the 40 man even. Just something to remember when you read “analysis” on here. 

Edited by NelsonCruuuuuz
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I remember reading post after post last year on here how he is a 4th OF at best with a weak arm and would never hit at the major league level. Many were calling for him to be removed from the 40 man even. Just something to remember when you read “analysis” on here. 

Where did you rate him last year?  Where did you rate a 25 y/o OFer who was awful in 2019 in AAA, when everyone had a big year and showed no progress and no signs that he could even make a Ml roster.

How good did you think he was last year and where is the post that supports what your stance?

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Where did you rate him last year?  Where did you rate a 25 y/o OFer who was awful in 2019 in AAA, when everyone had a big year and showed no progress and no signs that he could even make a Ml roster.

How good did you think he was last year and where is the post that supports what your stance?

For the record, I never wanted to get rid of Mullins, and never understood those who did, though I’ve vocally supported getting rid of others.

But the real question is how long a chance should a player get and why? Sisco was horrible for a long time after a promising beginning. We kept Wright and Hess and Smith JR long after they'd shown their limitations. I was happy to give Mullins a longer look because he offered excellent defense even if he didn’t hit well.

So there should be some kind of “this long and no longer” concept with players. Every guy should have a real chance, but how long it is is the real question.

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I don’t recall a lot of posters calling for Mullins to come off the 40-man.  

When analyzing prospects or just about anything else in baseball, the main thing is to have some humility.   Nobody knows for sure what will happen, so nobody should talk as though they’re the one savant with perfect foresight who knows all.    We all have opinions, and sometimes we even have good reasons for those opinions, but sometimes those opinions are wrong.   Players are humans and they are capable of change for better or worse.   I actually enjoy the fact that I’m wrong half the time.   At least, I enjoy it when an Orioles player does better than I expected.   And I wouldn’t want to follow a sport where I could always tell how a player would turn out or how a team would do. 

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I fully admit to being in the 4th OF group and I am delighted he is proving me wrong. FWIW I took a look at the 2021 roster prediction threads and everyone had him on the roster. Could be wrong but I don't think anyone had him as starting CF.

That's where I was at also. I'm delighted to be wrong. He's been everything anyone could have hoped for.

• Upvote 2

Last night is an example why baseball is the best sport to follow. Even in the crappiest possible season with the most frustratingly indifferent front office, you still get incredible moments like this. What's the NFL equivalent of what the Orioles are currently doing, maybe the Jets' 2-14 season last year? Are any Jets fans going to look back fondly on either of those two wins years from now? Of course not. Yet I will remember being at Cedric Mullins T-Shirt Night for a good long while.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

There are times l’ll watch a play and wonder what the Statcast data was for that play.  I wish there was a way to get it (or if there is, that I knew what it was).

That's the thing. You'd have to be able to see ALL of the plays, ALL the data, to compare them. One single outlier doesn't tell you much.