Flurry of moves, Henderson promoted.

eddie83

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

So I guess all that freaking out that Gunnar wasn’t promoted three weeks ago was much ado about nothing.   I’m interested to see how he handles high A.   Westburg had to adjust a bit, but seems to have done so.   Mundy is dominating there and may need to move to Bowie.  

I want to see Mundy to AA too.  I don't believe the O's have found the level that challenges Mundy yet.

Frobby is right about Mundy.  Move him up.  Has a 1200 OPS.  Not sure what to make of him right now.  He had zero buzz.  Whether the light just turned on or he was vastly underrated, he is destroying the baseball right now.  

Get him to where he is challenged and see what happens.  If he keeps this level of play up, he figures into the ML picture next year.

2 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Don't agree with this shot.  I think he should have either started at Aberdeen or been moved there more quickly.

I don’t see it as a shot, but I’m not speaking for Frobby. Several of us said, just wait a few weeks, it will happen. And it did. There was quite a frenzy of disgruntled people all over the net, but then he had a four strikeout game and that quieted some. He needs time to learn and gain experience playing in professional games. 

12 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I don’t see it as a shot, but I’m not speaking for Frobby. Several of us said, just wait a few weeks, it will happen. And it did. There was quite a frenzy of disgruntled people all over the net, but then he had a four strikeout game and that quieted some. He needs time to learn and gain experience playing in professional games. 

There are just some on here that believe pushing a guy quickly is the way to go. It's there right to have that opinion, but I don't think they really understand the complexities of what the organization is evaluating before moving guys. But hey, it's a message board and when a guy goes 4-for-4, he clearly needs to be promoted! lol

Saying that, I prefer to see guys challenged once they've shown they're handling their current league, as long as there is a playing time positionally for them. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

We all figured he'd probably be promoted in a few weeks.  That wasn't the point.  The point was that he should've been promoted then, or more appropriately started at Aberdeen.  You're correct, he needs time to learn and gain experience.  He should have been doing that at this level from the start.  Now he's just now starting his High-A education.  

Grand scheme of things, will a few weeks one way or the other affect his development long term?  Probably not, but I continue to believe that Elias is delaying promotions to align with some arbitrary and unstated window that he has in his head for when the MLB team should start be more competitive.

Anyway, don't feel like having this argument again.  We probably know where most folks stand on this at this point and no one will change each others mind.  Here's hoping Gunnar continues to play well so Elias can call him up by 2024 :).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

We all figured he'd probably be promoted in a few weeks.  That wasn't the point.  The point was that he should've been promoted then, or more appropriately started at Aberdeen.  You're correct, he needs time to learn and gain experience.  He should have been doing that at this level from the start.  Now he's just now starting his High-A education.  

Grand scheme of things, will a few weeks one way or the other affect his development long term?  Probably not, but I continue to believe that Elias is delaying promotions to align with some arbitrary and unstated window that he has in his head for when the MLB team should start be more competitive.

Anyway, don't feel like having this argument again.  We probably know where most folks stand on this at this point and no one will change each others mind.  Here's hoping Gunnar continues to play well so Elias can call him up by 2024 :).

I think we agree on many things. He is a special talent, no doubt about it. Where we disagree is in the actual value of Gunnar’s previous experience. The alternate site was valuable for many things related to training, but it did not replace actual games played. Nothing they can do replicates this. A few weeks in the GCL, and he came from the Alabama HS ranks before that. Alabama is not a hotbed of talent or competition. 

I am not convinced that Elias is delaying development for a competitive window, but I can see the argument. I think there is a hierarchy in the glut of infield prospects, separated by experience and talent. Elias obviously values those things. 

We do agree that I also have no desire to have this discussion again. lol

On 6/20/2021 at 5:20 PM, eddie83 said:

Henderson biggest name moving up. 

Welk and Stowers get a chance to show if they are legit prospects. The Bundy trades looks better with two of the arms in the upper minors, Bradish and Brnovich. Peek is looking good too. 

Overall, we have a lot of prospects now in AAA/AA. They’re getting closer. 

On 6/21/2021 at 11:40 AM, glenn__davis said:

I'm not mad though. I enjoyed his short time at Delmarva. Watching him really made me feel old. He looks like he's 13, but a load of talent there.