Rays are calling up MLB’s #1 prospect(Wander Franco). Will MLB’s #2 prospect(Adley) be next?

higgybaby

1 hour ago, Philip said:

There’s no way of knowing that for sure, but consider, it’s a power-play. Yes, it’s about money but it’s about power and control, and Tony Clark is not very good. He’s not a trained lawyer he’s not a trained negotiator he’s a former baseball player Who “…was close to finishing his degree in history in 2013.” I am a union member and I have many colleagues who have been incredibly involved with union who haven’t the slightest idea what they’re doing. Clark seems to be more of that.

The owners are willing to give on this or that if it keeps the balance of power, and therefore the money, in their hands. Giving up a little bit on free agency will allow Tony to save face, without really changing anything.

I cannot count the number of negotiations I’ve been involved in where my group got absolutely nothing we wanted, got everything we didn’t want, but were Granted one tiny little thing, upon which the union leadership leaped, to show that we had won. That actually has happened in every single one of them, five or six in 30+ years. There’s much more at stake here, and the players have a very poor leader, 

With that in mind, the simplest change would be to free agency. They might endorse the expanded DH, As an inexpensive sop to the opposition, but I hope they don’t. 
We will of course see what actually happens, but I am confident that all this “service time” malarkey’s going away.

I think maybe you're a little dismissive of the collective experience and expertise of the group of people representing the players association. 

It's not just one former player who will be making decisions or negotiating. 

The AR decision is based on whether the next CBA is in place or not.  If there is a stop work stoppage, it makes sense to leave AR down.  AR could have at lot of experience with DL Hall, Gray Rod and others in the minors when the majors may be shut down.  OTOH, if there is no work stoppage , AR gets called up when he is ready.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, EricK said:

The AR decision is based on whether the next CBA is in place or not.  If there is a stop work stoppage, it makes sense to leave AR down.  AR could have at lot of experience with DL Hall, Gray Rod and others in the minors when the majors may be shut down.  OTOH, if there is no work stoppage , AR gets called up when he is ready.  

That's nebulous.

Unless the He you were referring to is Elias.

1 hour ago, 7Mo said:

I think maybe you're a little dismissive of the collective experience and expertise of the group of people representing the players association. 

It's not just one former player who will be making decisions or negotiating. 

I’m not dismissive at all. as a reluctant union member I have been a participant in negotiations for close to 35 years. And I can tell you that Tony is the boss, And he was apparently elected unanimously. Remember the room full of guys is only as smart as the one who makes the final decision.  He can get all the advice in guidance he wishes, and it won’t do a damn bit of good, Unless he first admits that he’s in over his head and asks for help.

I am not dismissive, I am mildly pessimistic, and I am very realistic. I have very little interest in what they accomplish for themselves, but I don’t want them to do anything to mess up the game. My own personal goal is that the minor leaguers should have a living wage, And be treated far better than they are, but the MLBPA does not give a damn about guys who are not a member of their organization,  and they are not going to even think about the minor leaguers.

Edited by Philip
Typos

38 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m not dismissive at all. as a reluctant union member I have been a participant in negotiations for close to 35 years. And I can tell you that Tony is the boss, And he was apparently elected unanimously. Remember the room full of guys is only as smart as the one who makes the final decision.  He can get all the advice in guidance he wishes, and it won’t do a damn bit of good, Unless he first admits that he’s in over his head and asks for help.

I am not dismissive, I am mildly pessimistic, and I am very realistic. I have very little interest in what they accomplish for themselves, but I don’t want them to do anything to mess up the game. My own personal goal is that the minor leaguers should have a living wage, And be treated far better than they are, but the MLBPA does not give a damn about guys who are not a member of their organization,  and they are not going to even think about the minor leaguers.

Are you seriously comparing your experience as a high school teacher who happens to be in a union to the army of attorneys who represent the players association who have been working on this upcoming negotiation for years?

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is Google broken on your internet accessing device of choice?

He was signed as an Intentional Free agent.  Was the top ranked player in his group, got 3.85M as a bonus.

No, I’m certain it was a trade. But for whom? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 7Mo said:

Are you seriously comparing your experience as a high school teacher who happens to be in a union to the army of attorneys who represent the players association who have been working on this upcoming negotiation for years?

No, I’m not a high school teacher,I’m a member of American Federation of musicians, and I stand by every word I said. Tony Clark Is not a lawyer, he’s a baseball player. He may not even have finished his college degree. He is advised by lawyers, and we shall see how things work out.

13 hours ago, EricK said:

All. Of. This.

Nobody knows if there will be a ML season next year. I personally think it's dead 50-50.

And I like AR and all our good prospect pitchers (and all the other players) going into the trenches together. learning how to win together. Getting to know one another.

But yes, if there is no work stoppage, AR gets called up when he's ready, probably opening day.

edit: But for this year, leave him down. All year.