Santander and Hayes both look hurt

accinfo

3 hours ago, Ripken said:

Good because he's no 2B.  

The OF was a source of excitement for me this winter.  Now, Hays and Santander keep right on proving they can't stay healthy.  Mountcastle and Stewart are not OFs.  Does anyone still believe in McKenna or Diaz?  And then there's poor Heston.  <insert Yaz comment here for those who want to gripe.>  Amazing how we went from too many good OFs to one, and that's the guy we all thought was not very good.  I hope ME doesn't respond by drafting Frelick.

Absolutely the biggest disappointment to date for the season. This was supposed to be a position of strength and there is precisely one OF on the team with an OPS above .710, if we're not counting Mountcastle as an OF.  

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Absolutely the biggest disappointment to date for the season. This was supposed to be a position of strength and there is precisely one OF on the team with an OPS above .710, if we're not counting Mountcastle as an OF.  

I agree but I have not given up on Santander or Hays.  The story continues.

I think we all are pulling for both Santander and Hays because they are very talented, but at some point, we have to realize that their bodies do not allow them to play at a high level very long before getting hurt. It's like Hunter Harvey. Talented arm, but no way you can count on him to make through the season at this point. 

It's just the nature of the beast and unfortunately, the Orioles have three youngish talented major league players in Hays Santander and Harvey that you can not count on to stay healthy and one minor league prospect in Yusniel Diaz. 

I wonder if moving Hays or Santander to more of a 4th outfielder position would help them stay healthy? I don't know, but I do know if you run these guys out just about everyday they are going to break because they always have. 

They have starter's talent, but fragile bodies. It's really the worse combination because teams will always think "This time, they are healed and will stay healthy."

I guess the only good news is we are finding out about these guys before the team really starts to count on them to help win games for a competitive team.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Hays is in the lineup today in left with Santander on the bench.

Almost posted this in the rants thread, but also, can we please spell players names correctly, especially in thread titles.

I don’t get irked too much by misspellings, but I’ve seen “Ripkin” typed on this forum this year. ?

Poor Matt Wieters every thread ever posted on him had at least two variations on the spelling of his last name. 

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don’t get irked too much by misspellings, but I’ve seen “Ripkin” typed on this forum this year. ?

Poor Matt Wieters every thread ever posted on him had at least two variations on the spelling of his last name. 

Or “Cisco,” even when his name is in the thread title or in a reply to a quote with his name…

Hays now with a line of 224/289/394

Santander 234/268/374

Stewart 207/316/366

At what point do they go in another direction with these three and call up Jones and McKenna? Im not ready to think Diaz is going to stay healthy but he is in AAA for the first time ever this week.  

7 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Hays now with a line of 224/289/394

Santander 234/268/374

Stewart 207/316/366

At what point do they go in another direction with these three and call up Jones and McKenna? Im not ready to think Diaz is going to stay healthy but he is in AAA for the first time ever this week.  

You don’t “go in another direction” unless you mean the IL.  

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You don’t “go in another direction” unless you mean the IL.  

Right.  As long as they are healthy (and I really don't think 2 of those 3 are), you keep playing them every day to see what you've got.   Of course, Jones should be up here now playing second over the embarrassment they have had there all season. 

And yes, I am aware that Jones isn't the greatest defensive second baseman, and Phillip will have a cow reading this post, but he should absolutely be up here. 

Just now, Yardball85 said:

Right.  As long as they are healthy (and I really don't think 2 of those 3 are), you keep playing them every day to see what you've got.   Of course, Jones should be up here now playing second over the embarrassment they have had there all season. 

And yes, I am aware that Jones isn't the greatest defensive second baseman, and Phillip will have a cow reading this post, but he should absolutely be up here. 

Right…you see what he looks like at second.  We heard that Schoop wasn’t a good defensive second baseman either and he was fine.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Right…you see what he looks like at second.  We heard that Schoop wasn’t a good defensive second baseman either and he was fine.  

Exactly.  Get him some MLB experience there, let him work with the major league coaches, and see what you've got.  He's been hitting great for several weeks down in AAA, I believe his OPS is still above 1.000. 

38 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Exactly.  Get him some MLB experience there, let him work with the major league coaches, and see what you've got.  He's been hitting great for several weeks down in AAA, I believe his OPS is still above 1.000. 

Jahmai Jones OPS is 1.044 for the season and I'm ready to give him a chance. Valaika and Wilkerson are just awful and it's time to give an opportunity to a player who might hit a little.