Tuesday, June 22: Orioles vs Astros

SteveA

11 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Is Lopez getting his footing or is it going to be luck?   He does seem to have good stuff.  I hope this is a sign the kid is going to become an asset.  

He had everything working tonight.   Command of all his pitches.  Best I've ever seen him look, eye-test wise.   (I'm turning into Bill O'Donnell in my old age.   He'd use that phrasing all the time:  "Glove-wise, Belanger is a really good fielder").

I do think that we have been a bit biased against Lopez because of the lack of run support.   There were a few games early in the year especially when he was in a tight pitchers' duel and then would give up say 2 in the 6th and leave a couple men on.   And that would doom us because we weren't scoring that night.   And we would blame Lopez.   Same game, if we had 6 on the board and he got us into the 6th and then gave up some stuff, we'd be satisified with the exact same outing.  That one bad inning hurts a lot more in a 1-1 game.

8 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Is Lopez getting his footing or is it going to be luck?   He does seem to have good stuff.  I hope this is a sign the kid is going to become an asset.  

Lopez has really good stuff and has dominated for short stints.  It would be a windfall  for the O’s if he could get some consistency.  He reminds me a little of Arrieta in Baltimore.  

Little fun in Philly.   As part of the new routine, the umps checked out Max Scherzer for illegal substances in the 1st and 3rd inning.

Then in the 4th, Girardi claimed to see something suspcious and exercised his right to ASK the umps to check Scherzer again.   They did, and Scherzer was demonstrably pissed off and griping at being checked the 3rd time.

Wonder if Girardi really saw something or if he was just trying to get in Max's head a little?

Well, I have been working and see Lopez pitched 6.1 innings. He started the seventh inning with 90 pitches And he should not have started the inning. He was fortunate to get as far as he did, and I don’t know why Harvey didn’t start a clean inning.