Ramon Urias?

wildcard

21 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I didn’t act like it’s always the case. Guess I should have made the comment “sometimes a better option” in bold so you could read it and not just assume something. Especially in a case like Urias, who, like you said, was slumping and had inconsistent playing time. Some players need a reset in a lower stress environment. Some are just running into bad luck. 

I feel pretty confident that if they just handed him the job and played him everyday, as they should have, that he would have been able to work it out up here.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I feel pretty confident that if they just handed him the job and played him everyday, as they should have, that he would have been able to work it out up here.

Possibly, but they weren’t just handing him the job. Look at Mullins a few seasons ago. Could they have just let him “work it out” in Baltimore or did getting demoted (twice) help him recover and find what he needed to do?

• Upvote 2

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule for sending players up and down.  Some guys need it and respond well to it, others don't need it and need to work it out at the big league level.

I will say that I do believe a player reaches a point at the ML level...either they've got it or they don't. 

• Upvote 1

ZiPS liked Urias a decent amount, predicting a 106 OPS+. He's got a 121 right now over 102 AB. That's pretty nice man. I've really enjoyed watching him recently. 27, some guys get comfortable around this time in the big leagues and his minor league numbers are pretty solid to back it all up. 

That he ever got time over Valaika annoys me, but hopefully the 2nd half remedies that as I don't think Pat is long for the 40-man. 

Bumping this thread to say, I think Urias is underrated.

The 27-year old now has the:

2nd best OPS on the team: .789

2nd best OBP on the team: .352 (love to see that)

Baseball Reference rates him as a plus defender and already has him at 1.0 WAR through 39 games.

Still a relatively short sample size (110 AB), but seems like he deserves a bit more credit and consideration going forward...

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Baseball Reference rates him as a plus defender and already has him at 1.0 WAR through 39 games.

Still a relatively short sample size (110 AB), but seems like he deserves a bit more credit and consideration going forward...

That would put Urias on pace to be a 4 WAR player over a 162 games schedule. Obviously we're still in the small sample size realm with Urias, but he's have a good season and I want to see if he can keep playing at this level in the second half. 

1 hour ago, TommyPickles said:

The guy can hit and get on base. But a plus defender? Not at SS, maybe at 2B, but the sample size is vary small. I think he might hit enough to be an everyday second baseman, but he's not much of a SS defensively -- unless you're limited to the category of Freddy Galvis Is Hurt (or It's 2022 and Galvis Is No Longer on the Team) and Who Can We Put at Shortstop without Spending Money?

4 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

95th percentile MLB-wide in O-Swing so far this month, right next to Max Muncy.

6 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

The guy can hit and get on base. But a plus defender? Not at SS, maybe at 2B, but the sample size is vary small. I think he might hit enough to be an everyday second baseman, but he's not much of a SS defensively -- unless you're limited to the category of Freddy Galvis Is Hurt (or It's 2022 and Galvis Is No Longer on the Team) and Who Can We Put at Shortstop without Spending Money?

Might as well keep him there for the rest of the year.  I would rather see an O's prospect that whatever veteran the O's can entice for the smallest amount above league minimum. 

23 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

Thanks for posting these stats. They're nice I enjoy watching Urias' approach at the plate. That said, I'm not going to base any expectations going-forward on such few season and career at-bats.

On 7/4/2021 at 7:58 PM, wildcard said:

What do you think of him?  I remember Tony liked him earlier this year.

I never understood why second base was not his once they parted ways with Sanchez. He's a better defender at 2B than SS overall, but he's been adequate while filling in for Galvis. Urias is the guy that the Orioles had the least data on and the only guy who had not had a real chance yet so it just seemed strange they decided to dump him into the minors and even brought up Valaika over him.

Glad to see him finally getting a chance. He's probably not quite as good as he's been hitting overall, but he's better than Ruiz, Valaika and Wilkerson, all of which for some reasons got shots over him as an everyday second baseman. 

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I never understood why second base was not his once they parted ways with Sanchez. He a better defender at 2B than SS overall, but he's been adequate while filling in for Galvis. Urias is the guy that the Orioles had the least data on and the only guy who had not had a real chance yet so it just seemed strange they decided to dump him into the minors than even bring up Valaika over him.

Glad to see him finally getting a chance. He's probably not quite as good as he's been hitting overall, but he's better than Ruiz, Valaika and Wilkerson, all of which for some reasons got shots over him as an everyday second baseman. 

Truly bizarre that it took this long for him to play over the guys you mentioned. 

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I can see why they tried to give Valaika an opportunity. He put up close to .800 OPS and was on pace for something like 1.5 WAR over a full season in 2020. Honestly sticking with Ruiz as long as they did was the head scratcher. The guy was not even a 2B. 

The whole late signing of Franco, and late-in-spring-training cut of Yolmer Sanchez, was odd.   I think it was caused by some factor we don't know anything about, and the strange and hasty move of Rio Ruiz to 2B with a week left in spring training was a by product of whatever unexpected thing happened.