2021 1st round pick (5): Colton Cowser - OF - (Junior) Sam Houston University

I don't hate this pick.  The guy walks more than he strikes out.  That's something this organization has needed and needed for a long, long time.

Here's the deal...all of you guys who are pissed about this are pissed because of what we *could* have had instead.  If you keep looking at Lawler, etc, you're not going to give this guy an honest look.  

There are some things to like here.  I'm not thrilled with it, but at #5 you're gonna get a player with some good upside no matter which way you go.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did he face a lot of high velocity in that conference?

Perhaps with Team USA. 

And it’s not like the big conferences have the market cornered on guys with big arms. There is high velocity all over college baseball, but it might not have as much control. 

For example, I just watched a kid in A ball a few nights ago that was touching 101. He was from Arkansas-Little Rock. So I’m sure there were some good arms that he faced in the Southland Conference. Maybe not as many as if he played in the SEC, but I’m sure it happened. 

Ugh, I actually really dislike the pick. I was hoping they wouldn’t get cutesy like they did last year. Our number 2 pick from last year is already a whiff, it’s gonna really set this whole rebuild back if this draft doesn’t pan out and by not picking best player available you’re placing risky bets. Not what I wanted to see personally...but whatever. We went from a glut of promising OF prospects to almost none so I can’t hate on a college OF bat I guess.

They drafted a good player..probably a relatively safe player.  But Lawlar is a high upside elite talent.  You had that sitting there for you and you went underslot.  

Watson seems to have been overrated and im not upset you passed on the 5’9” player.  

Looks everyone is going underslot which of course means it will be that much harder to find those guys who drop…that can be the problem with that strategy.  It’s like tanking.  If you are the only one doing it, great…but when several others are doing it, the strategy isn’t as good.

• Upvote 2

While I was initially not happy with this pick and even yelled a bit at the TV, after thinking about it a bit more I'm not quite as upset.  I wanted to see us take one of the high school shortstops, especially seeing that 2 of the top 3 were there for us to pick.  But as I stated in the draft thread, I wonder if taking a college bat was always in the cards.  I think that Elias is seeing the youth growing up in the minors and is expecting us to be competitive in the next 2 years.  IF that's the case, then a college bat at #5 is much more likely to be a part of helping that window open sooner than later.  Cowser SHOULD get to the MLB quicker than any of the high school kids would have done.  I'm still not in LOVE with the pick, and only time will tell how it plays out, but I wonder if we were going to take the top college bat at this spot.