2021 1st round pick (5): Colton Cowser - OF - (Junior) Sam Houston University

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This draft is also showing you that the pre draft rankings mean next to nothing.  Watson goes 16th..House 12th.  Everyone had Mayer first and goes 4th.

Again, I think Cowser was the wrong pick but you may be able to argue that he was the second or third best player on the board.

It's really starting to appear that it's hard to call him a "reach" or even an "overdraft."

Just now, Pickles said:

It's really starting to appear that it's hard to call him a "reach" or even an "overdraft."

I don’t think that was ever the right characterization.  I do think it’s fair to say he wasn’t BPA.

As I said before, I think there is a chance the team had Kjerstad as the BPA.  I just don’t believe they valued Cowser as BPA over Lawlar.  Maybe they did but I don’t buy it.  But it’s possible, especially after seeing how things played out, that they had him over Watson and House.

Just now, gman082288 said:

I have no idea if we got good players or not, nor do you. Time tells with all drafts. That theoretical trade is exactly what we did last year. We went undersold at 1 and used that money at 4/5 INSTEAD of taking a player that the industry believes is vastly superior. The goal was to spend that money at 1A/2 but clearly that strategy didn't work - which is my criticism. No one thought or currently thinks that those players Mayo/Baumer are top prospects.

Not exactly since they would have ended up with slot players in the fourth and fifth round so it wouldn't be a three for one deal.

• Upvote 1

Glad to see people turning around. This draft class is talented but is unlike that last two years’ draft classes. There aren’t undeniable players. There are however good scattered players throughout. Us being number 5 overall couldn’t have happened at a better time. Perhaps next year’s draft will have a top two that are unmistakable.

9 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Not even close. Nats are a well run franchise, Rizzo comes from a scouting background and it very good, hate them or love them. Elias? He’s smug and won on a franchise that stole signs. Maybe he should get a Belicheat hoodie for press conferences. 

Pretty sure this guy used to post here under the name Rene88.

Same social justice warrior/Nats fanboy vibes. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm going to take this and run with it to prove my point of view.

So this guy that loved him didn't have him fifth. 

Right..he had Rocker (who we were never drafting imo), Watson and Lawlar ahead of him.

Lawlar is the swing and miss for me.  I am Ok with passing on Watson and Rocker for Cowser though.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

You keep saying this like it's fact, but are you talking about the Austin Martin with two home runs and slashing .773 in 198 AA PAs while splitting time between SS (.908 Fld %) and CF? 

Clearly with Kjerstad's illness, and Baumler's injury, it certainly doesn't look good, but Martin has already shown some of the issues people had concerns with including a lack of position and power. 

Whether Elias did the right thing will be determined years from now, but it's not like he passed over a Machado-like talent to draft Kjerstad.

You didn’t like Lacy’s potential in a division where an elite left hander could make a difference? I wanted Lacy, he may not work but pitching and a little luck wins championships. Not underslot deals.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not sure I ever remember a team making a top 5 pick taking an underslot player so they scan spend more later. Typically teams save money by taking $10K players in rounds 5-10 in order to save money. Guess we'll see how it works out. 

Last year there was the partial year and only five rounds so it made a little sense. 

I'm not saying this is a bad pick or a bad strategy, it's just unique. I probably would have wanted a little more impact with a top five pick. At least Kjerstad, prior to his illness, had top level power. 

Correa signed for $4.8m when his slot value for 1-1 was $7.2m

• Upvote 1