Keith Law on the Orioles draft

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's one of the reasons I don't like the strategy.  I guess if you have draft in which you have a lot of picks, like Arizona in 2019, it makes more sense. (16, 26, 33, 34, 56)

Yeah, like I’ve said, you definitely can’t count on one specific guy being there to spend the overslot money on.  You need to be very confident that there will be multiple attractive options available. 

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, like I’ve said, you definitely can’t count on one specific guy being there to spend the overslot money on.  You need to be very confident that there will be multiple attractive options available. 

Do you think the front office believed they weren't taking their top available player? I don't. I also don't think what's happening with Lawlar and Watson and even House right now should be discounted. 

Just now, LTO's said:

Do you think the front office believed they weren't taking their top available player? I don't. I also don't think what's happening with Lawlar and Watson and even House right now should be discounted. 

I don’t know.    Could be they thought Cowser was the BPA, could be they thought Cowser plus the excess cash brought more value than the other alternatives.   No way to know without being in the room.   But I do think they’re very high on Cowser.   

How do we know Fabian was plan A.  He could have been B or C.   Norby might have been plan F.    Who knows who is going to drop.   I don't see why people want to criticize Elias for having multiple contingency plans and being flexible in a very fluid environment.

To act like they screwed up by signing Cowser for underslot  and then not getting their plan A seems very simplistic and not understanding the process.   I suspect they knew Fabian might very well not be there and had other plans on the table which is exactly what happened.   Fabian definitely sounds like one of those high upside low floor guys though.    I wonder how the rest of the draft would have played out if they had gotten Fabian for 3M.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

How do we know Fabian was plan A.  He could have been B or C.   Norby might have been plan F.    Who knows who is going to drop.   I don't see why people want to criticize Elias for having multiple contingency plans and being flexible in a very fluid environment.

To act like they screwed up by signing Cowser for underslot  and then not getting their plan A seems very simplistic and not understanding the process.   I suspect they knew Fabian might very well not be there and had other plans on the table which is exactly what happened.   Fabian definitely sounds like one of those high upside low floor guys though.    I wonder how the rest of the draft would have played out if they had gotten Fabian for 3M.

No one said otherwise????

• 9 months later...
On 7/18/2021 at 7:21 AM, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

People will make excuses for Elias for another 10 bad drafts as Martin & Lawlar have great careers with the Blue Jays & Sox. This draft in particular was just plain awful. Last year, at least I saw the logic despite not agreeing with it but what a demoralizing approach when trying to close the gap in organizational talent (largely between the two above mentioned teams).

I don't think Martin is going to have a great career but the odds are even greater it won't be with the Blue Jays.

Let's see how you do with Lawlar.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I don't think Martin is going to have a great career but the odds are even greater it won't be with the Blue Jays.

Let's see how you do with Lawlar.

Will do. I strongly believe Lawlar was the pick. Even the guy the Nats picked. 

but nothing personal man, appreciate your commentary 

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Will do. I strongly believe Lawlar was the pick. Even the guy the Nats picked. 

but nothing personal man, appreciate your commentary 

I'm just making the point that you felt pretty strongly about Martin too.   Do you think maybe you were wrong on that one?    

31 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I'm just making the point that you felt pretty strongly about Martin too.   Do you think maybe you were wrong on that one?    

No. I wanted Lacy but would have taken Martin too. I think both had higher ceilings. Lacy I really liked.

Like I said, love your posts/commentary. Appreciate it. 

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

No. I wanted Lacy but would have taken Martin too. I think both had higher ceilings. Lacy I really liked.

Like I said, love your posts/commentary. Appreciate it. 

I quoted you. You specifically said that Martin would have a great career. Didn't you?  Do you still feel that way?

52 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I quoted you. You specifically said that Martin would have a great career. Didn't you?  Do you still feel that way?

Looks like an upside of super utility type but obp always plays. I don’t feel as strongly now of course, no. But you go bpa, period. Any number folks below may be better but he didn’t think Kerjstad was better.