MASN Access Elias piece this evening

Just Regular

A primary source for much of the Roch/Connolly/Meoli/Trezza, etc. stuff that will come out this weekend.

Somebody did ask him a tough-ish followup to gain the info BAL is paying Galvis' roster bonus.

Burch, he lauded a stuff jump after shutdown.   Minors injury rundown, was my first time hearing it is turf toe for Yusniel, and Servideo recently had hernia surgery 4-6 extra weeks of sideline.   Vavra he did give specific of about 10 days away from rehab games, and that Fall Ball probably in his future for catch up.

Rutschman, he cited "long AAA" season as part of the gameplan.

• Upvote 1

My read is that he thinks we are close. He wants good players on roster for next year.  This upcoming offseason is going to be very interesting.  Folks should be happy he kept our guys.  Will be cool to look back on today in 5 years with all the wild moves.  A lot of teams sold the farm and hamstrung themselves down the line. 

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

My read is that he thinks we are close. He wants good players on roster for next year.  This upcoming offseason is going to be very interesting.  Folks should be happy he kept our guys.  Will be cool to look back on today in 5 years with all the wild moves.  A lot of teams sold the farm and hamstrung themselves down the line. 

For every team that sold the farm a team that wasn't the O's reaped the benefits.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

For every team that sold the farm a team that wasn't the O's reaped the benefits.

Who would you have traded?  Pretty tough when your best chips are under control for a long time.  Imagine they asked appropriate value.   

I think they move Mancini over winter.  Means has something to prove in next 2 months.  

4 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Who would you have traded?  Pretty tough when your best chips are under control for a long time.  Imagine they asked appropriate value.   

I think they move Mancini over winter.  Means has something to prove in next 2 months.  

Santander last year.

I agree the market for Means and Mancini were depressed.  I was just counter pointing the idea that teams were buying high.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Santander last year.

I agree the market for Means and Mancini were depressed.  I was just counter pointing the idea that teams were buying high.

I agree it was painful to sit on sidelines during fireworks, but I think it was the prudent move.  Santander was a missed opportunity. 

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

The offseason will be interesting. IMO, they have to invest $10M to $15M in FA signings if you want any hope of turning things around anytime soon. 

Obviously you shouldn't trade Fry, Scott, Sulser, etc unless you get a good offer. But if you're not going to participate in the trade market, you have to invest in some FA's. Or you have to understand that player development is going to be a long, long process. 

I think it's reasonable to expect some FA investments this offseason at a higher market rate, meaning $3M and $4M signings instead of $1M signings. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

The offseason will be interesting. IMO, they have to invest $10M to $15M in FA signings if you want any hope of turning things around anytime soon. 

Obviously you shouldn't trade Fry, Scott, Sulser, etc unless you get a good offer. But if you're not going to participate in the trade market, you have to invest in some FA's. Or you have to understand that player development is going to be a long, long process. 

I think it's reasonable to expect some FA investments this offseason at a higher market rate, meaning $3M and $4M signings instead of $1M signings. 

I’m right there, too.  This off-season is going to be interesting/telling.  The milestone elephant is 14 months out and I think that plays heavy.  He held onto his guys.   Money “frees up” in 2023.  He could make a statement this off-season, but it’s likely he’s playing for next.  I’m excited to see how roster shakes out for spring training 2022.  

I’m right there, too.  This off-season is going to be interesting/telling.  The milestone elephant is 14 months out and I think that plays heavy.  He held onto his guys.   Money “frees up” in 2023.  He could make a statement this off-season, but it’s likely he’s playing for next.  I’m excited to see how roster shakes out for spring training 2022.  

If they bring back essentially "this roster" for Opening Day, Severino is replaced with a defense only catcher, Stewart, Franco, Valdez gone, with the only FA signings being a Franco equivalent third baseman and say Matt Harvey and Lopez or equivalents brought back, would you feel good about that?

You'd reasonably expect Rutschman after his early season "polishing" is finished, maybe Neustrom and Jones start the year with the O's. You could expect some bounce back from one of Akin, Lowther, or Kremer. Maybe Zimmerman finishes this year where you feel good about him. Rodriguez and Baumann up by the end of May/early June.

Would that be enough?

30 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

If they bring back essentially "this roster" for Opening Day, Severino is replaced with a defense only catcher, Stewart, Franco, Valdez gone, with the only FA signings being a Franco equivalent third baseman and say Matt Harvey and Lopez or equivalents brought back, would you feel good about that?

You'd reasonably expect Rutschman after his early season "polishing" is finished, maybe Neustrom and Jones start the year with the O's. You could expect some bounce back from one of Akin, Lowther, or Kremer. Maybe Zimmerman finishes this year where you feel good about him. Rodriguez and Baumann up by the end of May/early June.

Would that be enough?

I’d like a solid FA SP acquisition on a short deal to help Means welcome the young pitchers.  

I’d like a solid FA SP acquisition on a short deal to help Means welcome the young pitchers.  

Agreed. 

But I think there needs to be more invested, adding a solid reliever and infielder. Hopefully 2 starters.