Another Urias Thread

Moose Milligan

2 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Bumped to 2nd tonight - Brown in top of the 1st on broadcast said it was first time this year.

I have to imagine he is more comfortable playing 2b.  I hope he continues to hit cover off ball.  He’s been fun to watch. 

28 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I have to imagine he is more comfortable playing 2b.  I hope he continues to hit cover off ball.  He’s been fun to watch. 

OrioleDog meant batting second in the lineup, if I'm not mistaken.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Dare I say that he’s reached “nugget” status?  

I think so. Solid player. Always has good ABs. I wonder if he can hit the gym hard in the off-season and develop just a bit more pop. I like that he can cover any infield position so we have some flexibility while waiting to see which of our infield prospects pan out. 

• 3 weeks later...

At 247 at-bats now, roughly half a season, Urias' hitting stats are holding up: .275 / .361 / .413 / .774 (109+). The .361 OBP stands out to me, as well as his much-needed skill for situational hitting. Frankly, his ability to go with the pitch for a clutch single or double reminds me of Nick Markakis even--it's been that long! Plus, as several posters have suggested, he might be able to develop more power as soon as next year.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• The being horrible in clutch is immensely frustrating and inevitably what draws the most ire. He’s similar to the offensive equivalent of Akin, whose numbers are actually pretty good but by being a fan watching the games everybody thinks he stinks. And in terms of actually impacting W/L, they have both been really bad - their WPA is awful this year, and they are two of the few year-long regular team members with a negative WPA - it’s just not predictive going forward. I’m much more confident that the clutch performance will even out over time than the xwOBA/wOBA difference. That’s one of the core analytics tenets that I don’t think has ever been meaningfully challenged, it just takes a larger sample. If Cowser has performed anywhere close to his non-clutch/RISP level in clutch/RISP situations, I don’t think there’d be anywhere near the level of angst around him that there is now. The frustration with Kjerstad and Mayo smashing their way through AAA for so long also makes everybody want to find somebody to make space.
    • He probably could play third but I don’t think they have ever tried him there. We don’t even hear about him taking grounders at third.
    • Right..that’s what I mean by we need him healthy.  We just don’t know when he starts to play second base again. They will not bring him up before that happens and he shows he can do it pain free. 
    • The rain ended up being a pretty short nothing burger as the storms really died out as they approached Baltimore and Anne Arundel County. I was at the game so we all just went inside for a few minutes and came back out.  Obviously it did not affect the Orioles bats as they couldn't hit before, or after the rain delay. lol
    • I would say what Gunnar is doing (especially considering that they are the same age) is a bit… No, actually WAY MORE impressive.
    • You think Mateo can play 3rd base as well?  If so, no reason to have Urias at that point?
    • the way its going their both going to be September call ups
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now