Colton Cowser 2021

Tony-OH

I do wonder if he starts at AA next year if he's eligible for the Arizona Fall League and suceeds. Seems really advance with the bat and plays above average defense.

Also, anyone notice OF John Rhodes played first base last night? Maybe due to logjam in the outfield.

Edited by Chaka Garcia

37 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Eventually we’re going to try and group all of our milb talent together in the minors. So that may fast track someone like Cowser, compared to the “slow track” that AR had. I don’t think Bowie is out of the question for him next season. 

Really hard to compare since we have no idea what Rutschmans path would have been like without the covid year. Rutschmans feels slow but he advanced multiple levels this year. Will be interesting to see where they start Kjerstad. He and Cowser could be fun to watch together.

On 8/22/2021 at 11:15 AM, Aristotelian said:

Really hard to compare since we have no idea what Rutschmans path would have been like without the covid year. Rutschmans feels slow but he advanced multiple levels this year. Will be interesting to see where they start Kjerstad. He and Cowser could be fun to watch together.

Right. This is Rutschman's first professional season. If this was last year, would anyone be upset that he's in AAA to end the year and on the cusp of the big leagues? The missed COVID year makes some of these promotions seem slow, but honestly, Elias has pushed several prospects through multiple levels this year.

On 8/22/2021 at 11:23 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m thinking Cowser is fast tracked to try and form a core for 2023. Especially given Elias’ comments about the losing. I see them playing it real safe with Kjerstad next year. Even if that means FCL with docs monitoring at the team facility. 

I do think we'll see players like Cowser and Norby fast tracked a bit. I think they both start the year in Aberdeen but could move to Bowie if they can get off to good starts. it's not out of the question that they get moved to AA to start the year next year.

• Upvote 2

The jump to Aberdeen wasn't easy for Henderson and the jump to Bowie hasn't been easy for Westburg.  It will be interesting to see how this group advances.  But, there's certainly a lot of excitement in Salisbury right now.  And, while their wins last week were against poor competition, last night's win came against a better team.

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Inauspicious start for a guy we passed on. Have to wonder if this is been or if he had scary medicals. Either way, hope he comes back strong.

Wow!   That's in Kjerstad territory for bad luck.   Can only imagine the bad karma it would feel like if we had drafted him.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Wow!   That's in Kjerstad territory for bad luck.   Can only imagine the bad karma it would feel like if we had drafted him.

Apparently it’s his left shoulder, so at least it won’t hamper his throwing.  I think Joey Ortiz had a similar injury.   

I feel sorry for the young man but it sounds like he’ll be able to play most of next season if all goes well with the surgery.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Apparently it’s his left shoulder, so at least it won’t hamper his throwing.  I think Joey Ortiz had a similar injury.   

I feel sorry for the young man but it sounds like he’ll be able to play most of next season if all goes well with the surgery.  

If you want to go way back, I think Val Majewski had it on his non throwing shoulder as well.  My memory tells me he was coming off a really impressive AA season and never quite made it.  Whether the surgery made any difference I have no idea.

Just now, RZNJ said:

If you want to go way back, I think Val Majewski had it on his non throwing shoulder as well.  My memory tells me he was coming off a really impressive AA season and never quite made it.  Whether the surgery made any difference I have no idea.

I had thought it was his throwing shoulder, but I could be wrong.  Maybe I just assumed it was.   Too bad what happened to him, he was looking like a solid prospect.