Rutschman to Norfolk

Frobby

10 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Just don't bring him up to the bigs this year. No point wasting service time on a team that is going nowhere. 

Say he OPS's 1.400 in AAA; still don't bring him up?  You don't think that sets a bad example?  

11 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

The system is definitely broken. Hopefully the new CBA ties free agency to age (say 30 for college draftees, 29 for high school draftees) rather than years and he can start next Opening Day with the O's.

I like the idea of age but I think it should be 27 for high schoolers and 28 for college players. This way they have an opportunity for Free agency as they are entering their prime. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

The system is definitely broken. Hopefully the new CBA ties free agency to age (say 30 for college draftees, 29 for high school draftees) rather than years and he can start next Opening Day with the O's.

I completely agree, but 30 for college and 29 for high school is pretty team friendly.  At least for stars.  If you're an 18-year-old high school draftee you have no say in your employer for 12 years.  They also have some work to do to figure out the details.  Someone like Machado or Harper coming up at 19, are they going to have seven arb years?

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

I completely agree, but 30 for college and 29 for high school is pretty team friendly.  At least for stars.  If you're an 18-year-old high school draftee you have no say in your employer for 12 years.  They also have some work to do to figure out the details.  Someone like Machado or Harper coming up at 19, are they going to have seven arb years?

Yeah, you and Tony are right, that age number I threw out is a little high. 

I don't know what the right number is, but the current system that leads to lesser players getting MLB service time while better players are stuck in the minors for an extended period of time needs to change.

The system that's in place was agreed to by the players and owners.  Chris Davis is not giving money back.  He used the system to his advantage.  As a fan, I want to see Adley Rutschman in an O's uniform for as long as possible.  And, given the system, as is, any team in our position wouldn't even consider bringing him up this year.  And, with the possibility of a work stoppage at the start of next season, there's no reason to put him on the 40 man roster just to have him sitting at home in April when he could be playing in Norfolk.  

Now, while AR's numbers don't look great at first glance, from MLBTradeRumors - Rutschman "posted a .271/.392/.508 batting line with 18 home runs, 16 doubles and nearly as many walks (15.4 percent) as strikeouts (15.9 percent).  That slash was good for a whopping 144 wRC+ in the very pitcher friendly Double A setting - the tenth best mark of any qualified hitter in Double A this season.  While he's now technically just one step from the big leagues, it's hard to imagine Rutschman would be summoned to the Majors before season's end.  The Orioles have just a 38-72 records on the season and they'd gain another year of control by waiting until the third week of the 2022 season to promote him to the big leagues, barring any changes to service time structure in collective bargaining talks...

12 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

You guys prove once again that you would be upset about winning the lottery. What a sorry lot. That being said, very happy for Adley and I imagine Grayson will be the next up soon.

Don't generalize about the board. Calling this board "a sorry lot" is a great way to make friends and influence people. No one forces you to stay here. If you dislike so many people that you feel a need to call them names, feel free to exit right. 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m so tired of seeing “there is no reason in bringing him up this year”

There is plenty of reason to do it but it’s getting close to the point of, why bother bringing him up right now?  You might as well wait until late April.  

Kind of how I feel at this point.   If he was going to be called up this year, I would have preferred it be in June/July to maximize the experience he would gain.   At this point I’d probably prefer they just let him adjust to AAA and have him make the final jump early next year.