(Edit: Orioles get 1st pick after walkoff homer by Diamondbacks)

Greenpastures23

Just now, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I'm quoting you, but anyone can answer this question.

Does anyone know if there's been multiple articles written about the Diamondbacks and how they're ruining the sport with their tanking?

But the Dbacks have been good recently.  The talk of the Os isn’t because they are garbage for one year.  It’s because they have been garbage for a lot of years and a team that had the #1 pick in the 2019 draft isn’t really any better since then.  That’s pretty bad and it’s fair to point that out.  

Just now, Sports Guy said:

But the Dbacks have been good recently.  The talk of the Os isn’t because they are garbage for one year.  It’s because they have been garbage for a lot of years and a team that had the #1 pick in the 2019 draft isn’t really any better since then.  That’s pretty bad and it’s fair to point that out.  

Fair enough.  Good points.  

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, it is.  

Now, not all of those teams were tanking.  Minnesota, DC and the Cubs were playoff hopefuls entering the year.

But overall, you will have about 1/3 of the league finishing with 70ish wins or less.  That’s pretty bad.  You will always have bad teams but it seems like the number of bad teams is constantly going up.

I can see both sides to the argument.  

I mean, no one really cares if the Orioles are this bad outside of the casual Orioles fans that are out there.  The diehards like us, will always remain.  

But say you're a Seattle Mariners fan.  Do you really care if the Orioles are tanking?  

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I can see both sides to the argument.  

I mean, no one really cares if the Orioles are this bad outside of the casual Orioles fans that are out there.  The diehards like us, will always remain.  

But say you're a Seattle Mariners fan.  Do you really care if the Orioles are tanking?  

Yes and no.  The Mariners are fighting for a playoff spot with Boston and NY. Those teams get to play us.  Now, Seattle gets Texas and teams like Oak and LA are easier to play than Tor and TB but still, I can see why other fans would get annoyed…although it only matters if your team is contending. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes and no.  The Mariners are fighting for a playoff spot with Boston and NY. Those teams get to play us.  Now, Seattle gets Texas and teams like Oak and LA are easier to play than Tor and TB but still, I can see why other fans would get annoyed…although it only matters if your team is contending. 

Let's say you are a Mariner fan and you are considering you entertainment options.  You see a team like the Rangers or Orioles are in town.

Are you less likely to go to a game?  I would be.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Exactly.  It only matters if your team is contending.

We know attendance and interest in the Orioles is down but we also know that OPACY gets full when the team is good.  I'm not concerned.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Let's say you are a Mariner fan and you are considering you entertainment options.  You see a team like the Rangers or Orioles are in town.

No, because I know I'm probably going to go see my team win.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Outside of seeing a superstar, I don't think the visiting team moves the needle much on ticket sales. If anything, I think fans prefer seeing their teams win, so they wouldn't mind seeing them play a lousy team.

I mostly avoid Yankees and Red Sox games because I don't like being surrounded by their fans, but I would rather attend an Orioles-Royals game than an Orioles-Rays game, because the O's have a better chance of beating the Royals.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Exactly.  It only matters if your team is contending.

We know attendance and interest in the Orioles is down but we also know that OPACY gets full when the team is good.  I'm not concerned.

No, because I know I'm probably going to go see my team win.  

I'd rather seen what is more likely to be a competitive game.

54 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The Mariners haven't made the playoffs in 20 years and have never won a pennant. Their fans should be happy there are tanking teams to get the national media to talk about something other than what is probably the longest string of ineptitude in sports. 

42 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Outside of seeing a superstar, I don't think the visiting team moves the needle much on ticket sales. If anything, I think fans prefer seeing their teams win, so they wouldn't mind seeing them play a lousy team.

I mostly avoid Yankees and Red Sox games because I don't like being surrounded by their fans, but I would rather attend an Orioles-Royals game than an Orioles-Rays game, because the O's have a better chance of beating the Royals.

It's come around again, but I always avoided Red Sox and Yankees games during the dark years of the 2000's. I used to work downtown near the Inner Harbor and the Red Sox tourists were always the most obnoxious and unbearable. 

We really need Arizona to win tonight. 12 of their next 18 are on the road.  SEA, LAD, HOU, and SF. They might go 2-10 in those games at best. 

Arizona also just drafted SS Jordan Lawler with the pick after ours in this most recent draft. I doubt, even with Lawler’s injury, that they go HS SS again. Greene is looking like they’d take him. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1