Frederick's Pitching

orioole28

With all the talent in Frederick starting rotation it has to be a major dissappointment on the progress of our young pitchers. Erbe, Hernandez, Berken, and now Bergesen, while Spoone has held up it has to be a major concern. Although those pitchers do need to hold some accountability, so does the coaching staff and it's their job to develop those young pitchers. I know that those pitchers must be frustrated and the fact that they have to figure it out on their own is just BAD. I know it's too late for some because they will be moving up next year, but for those who have to repeat Frederick, I believe there has to be some changes. IMO

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bergesen just got there and has to adjust. Don't know why you mention him. That's what the minors are for.

He had a very good first start, but the last 2 haven't been so, now we will see if he has to figure it out on his own like the rest have too. That was my point, I didn't mean to lump him with they others but we will see how he does on his next start. Because if he has another bad start then we have to be concern. IMO

He had a very good first start, but the last 2 haven't been so, now we will see if he has to figure it out on his own like the rest have too. That was my point, I didn't mean to lump him with they others but we will see how he does on his next start. Because if he has another bad start then we have to be concern. IMO

Yes because as we all know 4 starts at A ball gives us all the information we need to know about a pitcher. :rolleyes:

Somehow Frederick managed to graduate; Liz, Olson, Lewis, and Hoey last year with the same coaching staff.

This "the sky is falling" or "He needs to have a good start or we should be concern" act is getting quite old.

There is something awry in Frederick. If there was just one or two pitchers having problems, then it's just normal routine growing pains. But Erbe, Hernandez, Bergesen and Berken are all having issues. I'm not removing these guys from my prospect lists or even moving them way down, but you have to wonder what has caused them to struggle mightily as a group.

Bergesen is not having "issues", whatever that means, after two down starts. Come back to us on this after two down months.

I think it's clear that the O's farm teams could use better coaching up and down the system. Frederick's staff looks lost now. I remember when McGregor had Lewis, Paul Henry and others and we all thought the same thing. In general--and for years--players haven't developed. Is a coaching overhaul in order from top to bottom?

Bergesen is not having "issues", whatever that means, after two down starts. Come back to us on this after two down months.

You wouldn't be concern if he had another bad start??? :confused: I would!! Or is it that High A is that much better. I believe that it is but I would be concerned a little.

Erbe is the only one you can make a strong case for, IMO. Berken was good, but not dominant at Aberdeen. This is a two level jump for him. It's not surprising that he's struggling a bit. Hernandez isn't pitching a lot differently than he did last year at Delmarva. Good K numbers but very inconsistent and overall mediocre. Bergesen just made a jump. Hard to believe new coaching has hurt him after just a few starts. Spoone seems to be making definite progress this year while Erbe has definitely regressed.

I would have to disagree just a little. Hernandez was Pitcher of the Month in April, which he dominated and doing fine in May until June and July came.

Which probably means the league got used to him and he hasn't adjusted.

David should take some responsiblity but where is the coaching in all this. That's the point I'm making is that Hernandez shouldn't have to do it all. That's where the coaching come in.

David should take some responsiblity but where is the coaching in all this. That's the point I'm making is that Hernandez shouldn't have to do it all. That's where the coaching come in.

So they could coach in April and May, but they forgot how to in June & July? :confused:

Looks to me like he pitched above his head early on and now is coming back to earth. It's not like he dominated the Sally league last year, a 4.24 ERA is nothing to write home about. So a year later and a level higher he is pitching about where everyone should expect.

So they could coach in April and May, but they forgot how to in June & July? :confused:

Looks to me like he pitched above his head early on and now is coming back to earth. It's not like he dominated the Sally league last year, a 4.24 ERA is nothing to write home about. So a year later and a level higher he is pitching about where everyone should expect.

This thread wasn't about Hernandez and his problems!! It was about the Frederick starting rotation pitching below their expectation. Explain that!! I really believe that they expected more from their prospects this year. So I truly believe that there is something wrong when you have a whole rotation having problems, with the exception of Spoone.

Archived