Henderson vs. Mayo at Delmarva

Frobby

GH: 35 G, 157 PA, .312/.369/.574, 8 HR, 39 RBI, 14 BB, 46 K’s

CM: 20 G, 78 PA, .325/.429/.565, 4 HR, 19 RBI, 11 BB, 20 K’s

Mayo has almost exactly half the plate appearances Henderson did, and is keeping pace with or exceeding Henderson in almost every category.  Impressive!

I’m pleasantly surprised by the high BA and relatively modest (by today’s standards) K rate.  I knew he had power, but his bat to ball skills have been better than I’d expected.  

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

His stock is way, way up after this year. He's absolutely mashing and he's still a teenager.

The infield prospect depth is encouraging right now. Gunnar, Mayo, Servideo, Norby, Ortiz, Westburg, Adam Hall, Vavra, etc. Aberdeen and Bowie will have some crowded infields to start next year!

I think Darell Hernaiz bears watching also. 

• Like 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

That doesn't sound like in fairness to me.

What do you think about the pitching Elias has drafted?

I think it is very shortsighted to look at one draft pick and try and make an overriding statement about Elias' drafting.

And I didn't look at one pick and declare Elias a genius. But I can see where Mayo is your worst nightmare because he would cut the legs out of your speech against an underslot approach.

Should we look at pitching that Elias has brought into the MiLB system, or only what he's drafted?

I'm on board with Elias drafting assets, valuable players, without regard to position. Players that other organizations will pay a premium for. No organization develops a major league roster simply from draft picks.

• Upvote 3

Just now, 7Mo said:

And I didn't look at one pick and declare Elias a genius. But I can see where Mayo is your worst nightmare because he would cut the legs out of your speech against an underslot approach.

Should we look at pitching that Elias has brought into the MiLB system, or only what he's drafted?

I'm on board with Elias drafting assets, valuable players, without regard to position. Players that other organizations will pay a premium for. No organization develops a major league roster simply from draft picks.

Worst nightmare?

Hyperbole much?

And I wasn't talking about you anyway, I was talking about the person who does evidently want to look at one draft pick and make a determination about Elias' draft strategy.

I never said you couldn't hit on an underslot pick.  Great if he does.  I'd rather take my chances hitting on the 1-2 pick.  That was always my take. 

As for what we are looking at...well the person I was responding to was specifically talking about the draft so yea, let's keep it to the draft.  Since that was the focus of the comment.  That would seem to be the reasonable thing to do...right?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Worst nightmare?

Hyperbole much?

And I wasn't talking about you anyway, I was talking about the person who does evidently want to look at one draft pick and make a determination about Elias' draft strategy.

I never said you couldn't hit on an underslot pick.  Great if he does.  I'd rather take my chances hitting on the 1-2 pick.  That was always my take. 

As for what we are looking at...well the person I was responding to was specifically talking about the draft so yea, let's keep it to the draft.  Since that was the focus of the comment.  That would seem to be the reasonable thing to do...right?

Sorry, I'll leave it so you can discuss with Wildcard.

IMO, Elias has drafted well. Looking at what a guy is doing at A+ or AA is fun, but it really doesn't mean anything yet. They still have big steps to take. But I don't think there's any question that prospects have been upgraded substantially. And I think that has been the goal rather than some rule where you have to choose this many from Column A and this many from Column B.

I'd guess if we look at pitchers about to start games for playoff teams, less than 24% were drafted by the team they start for. 

In 2 years, are we going to have 5 starters going 6 innings? Or 2 with 3 openers/bulk guys? 

In 2 years, this roster will turnover in a big way. To think you have to be able to look at A+ or AA and identify our next 5 starters is silly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Worst nightmare?

Hyperbole much?

I get the feeling you've been making a conscious effort to derail every positive thread that's been started of late. You took one comment from Wildcard on Elias' drafting strategy and took that as your opportunity to drive home your concerns over Elias' drafting strategy despite the fact that you've made this argument in several other threads that more closely follow that topic.

Can we just try and keep on the subject of the thread. Maybe just think to yourself, if you feel a rant coming on, go check the title of the thread and determine if it fits in that subject, if not, maybe make your own thread.

Thanks for keeping things on subject in the future.

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

GH: 35 G, 157 PA, .312/.369/.574, 8 HR, 39 RBI, 14 BB, 46 K’s

CM: 20 G, 78 PA, .325/.429/.565, 4 HR, 19 RBI, 11 BB, 20 K’s

Mayo has almost exactly half the plate appearances Henderson did, and is keeping pace with or exceeding Henderson in almost every category.  Impressive!

I’m pleasantly surprised by the high BA and relatively modest (by today’s standards) K rate.  I knew he had power, but his bat to ball skills have been better than I’d expected.  

I've been very impressed overall. As I said on Bob and Vinnie, he's first 19 year I've watched play in the Orioles system since Manny Machado that looks special.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I get the feeling you've been making a conscious effort to derail every positive thread that's been started of late. You took one comment from Wildcard on Elias' drafting strategy and took that as your opportunity to drive home your concerns over Elias' drafting strategy despite the fact that you've made this argument in several other threads that more closely follow that topic.

Can we just try and keep on the subject of the thread. Maybe just think to yourself, if you feel a rant coming on, go check the title of the thread and determine if it fits in that subject, if not, maybe make your own thread.

Thanks for keeping things on subject in the future.

Or I made a simple reply to a comment Wildcard made and another poster decided to come at me for it.  In the interest of "fairness".

My post was nothing close to a rant.  Someone else decided to get personal, escalate and attempt to expand the scope of the conversation.

It's fair to say that Mayo will be ranked quite highly after this season. It's also a great debate about who should be the higher ranked prospect between him and Henderson.

I know the hype is with Mayo right now, and rightfully so. I love the kid too, but to be fair...

Henderson still has the possibility of being a SS on defense. Mayo may not stick at 3B.

Henderson is a level higher and about the same age.

Henderson bats LH.

That said, we've seen some warts exposed on Henderson this year. Too many errors. Not hitting LHP very well. We'll have to see how he progresses to know what he'll be. We also will likely see more warts on Mayo when he moves to a higher level. 

• Upvote 2