DJ Stewart to 60 Day IL and Cesar Valdez called up from Norfolk

OsFanSinceThe80s

On 9/22/2021 at 8:59 AM, jamalshw said:

I tend to agree with this, but the big roster crunch this offseason may see him get cut from the 40-man. They could use Neustrom (who I'd rather keep over Stewart) in the 5th OF role early in the year. Hays, Mullins, Santander and McKenna, obviously, being the other four. And then, as you noted, Stowers is eventually likely to break in next year, too. 

Stewart probably makes it through the first cut when the 60-day IL guys are added back. Lopez, Abad, Harvey, Eshelman, Valdez, Hannold, Martin, Valaika, Guitierrez, Diaz, Bannon, Wade, Watkins, and a number of others are all ahead of him on DFA train, but once you make room for all the 60-day IL guys, all the guys we need to protect against Rule-5, and the couple guys we MAY add to the team via Free Agency, Rule-5 draft, and/or trade, his number may end up being called. 

I  don't think reliever Lopez is going anywhere.

When talking about Hays, Mullins, Santander, McKenna and Neustrom all it takes is one injury and Stewart is on the 26 man roster. He has an option left. For that reason I think there is a good chance they stick with the low salaried Stewart until Stowers is ready for the  majors.

29 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I  don't think reliever Lopez is going anywhere.

When talking about Hays, Mullins, Santander, McKenna and Neustrom all it takes is one injury and Stewart is on the 26 man roster. He has an option left. For that reason I think there is a good chance they stick with the low salaried Stewart until Stowers is ready for the  majors.

Don’t forget, Diaz is still on the 40.

• 1 month later...

Stewart health update from Roch: 

“Stewart had a .349 OBP after the All-Star break and slashed .205/.367/.564 in 49 plate appearances in August, but he missed the last two weeks of the season and underwent surgery on his right knee. A procedure to correct an “osteochondral defect,” which also is known as “osteochondritis dissecans” - damage to the cartilage surrounding the knee joint and the bone underneath the cartilage.

“The knee required treatment for about two months, according to Hyde, and necessitated the surgery. The Orioles felt he would be fine for spring training, unlike the surgery in October 2019 to repair a microfracture in his ankle.

“The latest update, provided yesterday, stated that Stewart is six weeks post-op and will be in Sarasota for his follow-up examination this week. He should be running over ground by end of this month and starting some baseball activities in early January.

“The Orioles say Stewart is achieving all relevant clinical milestones.

“Now he’ll hope that a healthy knee allows him to chase some on-field milestones and solidify his place in the organization.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/11/can-stewart-solidify-his-spot-on-40-man-roster.html

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Stewart health update from Roch: 

“Stewart had a .349 OBP after the All-Star break and slashed .205/.367/.564 in 49 plate appearances in August, but he missed the last two weeks of the season and underwent surgery on his right knee. A procedure to correct an “osteochondral defect,” which also is known as “osteochondritis dissecans” - damage to the cartilage surrounding the knee joint and the bone underneath the cartilage.

“The knee required treatment for about two months, according to Hyde, and necessitated the surgery. The Orioles felt he would be fine for spring training, unlike the surgery in October 2019 to repair a microfracture in his ankle.

“The latest update, provided yesterday, stated that Stewart is six weeks post-op and will be in Sarasota for his follow-up examination this week. He should be running over ground by end of this month and starting some baseball activities in early January.

“The Orioles say Stewart is achieving all relevant clinical milestones.

“Now he’ll hope that a healthy knee allows him to chase some on-field milestones and solidify his place in the organization.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/11/can-stewart-solidify-his-spot-on-40-man-roster.html

Sounds to Me like a DFA. He’s going to be expensive, he’s definitely damaged goods, and not a good cup of Joe when he’s healthy.

I bet no one will claim him either.

Edit: Correction. He is Not expensive. He still minimum wage, but I don’t think he’s worth it.

Edited by Philip
Correction

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think Stewart is the 4th/5th OF until after the trade deadline and we deal Mancini and Santander. Then Stowers in RF with Stewart being the full time DH. Neustrom could be in the mix as well. 

Stewart doesn’t hit well enough to be a DH. Stowers in Neustrom are both better than he is, or at least are unproven possibilities to be better than he is, And both of them may make it up this season.

also I remain convinced that Mancini will not be traded.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Stewart hasn’t hit well enough to be a DH. Stowers in Neustrom are both better than he is, or at least are unproven possibilities to be better than he is, And both of them may make it up this season.

also I remain convinced that Mancini will not be traded.

Fixed that for you.   No question Stewart hasn’t hit well enough to be a full time DH, especially last year.  But sometimes inexperienced players (which he still is) make a big jump from one year to the next, so we’ll see.    I definitely wouldn’t want that to be Plan A.

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fixed that for you.   No question Stewart hasn’t hit well enough to be a full time DH, especially last year.  But sometimes inexperienced players (which he still is) make a big jump from one year to the next, so we’ll see.    I definitely wouldn’t want that to be Plan A.

You’re not incorrect, but my point remains valid. He offers no defense value, a dedicated DH takes a roster spot That is better used for a more versatile player, and he doesn’t hit well enough to be a DH. Yes I am predicting that he will not improve enough to be a meaningful DH, he can certainly improve, and still not be good enough to be a productive designated hitter.

If we designate him, I guarantee you somebody will pick him up lickety-split, on the grounds that they can fix what ails him, But I would also wager my last five years that whoever picks him up will not keep him long.

Also, it is telling how little he was used before his injury; even on last year’s dreadful team, there were too many better options. And if there’s anywhere we have a surplus, it is in outfielders with potential, one of which he is not.

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

You’re not incorrect, but my point remains valid. He offers no defense value, a dedicated DH takes a roster spot That is better used for a more versatile player, and he doesn’t hit well enough to be a DH. Yes I am predicting that he will not improve enough to be a meaningful DH, he can certainly improve, and still not be good enough to be a productive designated hitter.

If we designate him, I guarantee you somebody will pick him up lickety-split, on the grounds that they can fix what ails him, But I would also wager my last five years that whoever picks him up will not keep him long.

Also, it is telling how little he was used before his injury; even on last year’s dreadful team, there were too many better options. And if there’s anywhere we have a surplus, it is in outfielders with potential, one of which he is not.

I’d say his upside is roughly his career MiL slash line: .255/.358/.432.    Maybe 10-15 points lower on the BA/OBP lines.  That would compare OK to the average DH slash line, which last year was .248/.321/.455.   But that’s his upside.   His downside is basically what we saw last year.   

Neustrom I think will be quite similar, and an upgrade on defense but not by a whole lot.   Stowers I think will be an upgrade on both sides of the ball.   But you never really know until the get to the majors and their weaknesses are exposed.  

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d say his upside is roughly his career MiL slash line: .255/.358/.432.    Maybe 10-15 points lower on the BA/OBP lines.  That would compare OK to the average DH slash line, which last year was .248/.321/.455.   But that’s his upside.   His downside is basically what we saw last year.   

Neustrom I think will be quite similar, and an upgrade on defense but not by a whole lot.   Stowers I think will be an upgrade on both sides of the ball.   But you never really know until the get to the majors and their weaknesses are exposed.  

It seems as if you are providing rebuttals to your own argument. If I take your meaning correctly, you’re saying that if Stewart’s MLB matches his upside as defined by his minor-league experience, He “would compare OK to the average DH slash line” Which definitely sounds like damning with faint praise.

Based on how the team used him, I think they’ve probably already decided to move on, but they might wait until Stowers is ready.