The 2021 Orioles may have sucked, but I am going through major withdrawal

Frobby

It was a painful year.   Lots of games I turned off in disgust, lots of games I never turned on because they were out of hand by the time I finished dinner, lots of games I watched for three hours only to have defeat snatched from the jaws of victory in the bitter end.   

And yet, baseball >>> no baseball.    And for me, no Orioles baseball = no baseball.   Because I don’t care.    

It’s been two days and I’m already bored with the offseason, looking for minutiae about this past season I can explore to keep me occupied.    

It’s going to be a long winter.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Same here.  Can we get the playoffs over already so free agency and other roster moves can be made?

I'm really looking forward to our 2022 team.  We won't have a great record, but it will be awesome seeing our next great team really start taking form.

No kidding. I miss being pissy about no minor league games on Mondays. I miss weekly dumpster diving the waiver wire for starters. I miss trying to out-suck Arizona for a first round pick that we’ll go underslot on anyhow. I miss bitching about when a prospect will finally get promoted. It sounds like I’m being sarcastic….I’m not! I really miss the baseball season, even when we completely suck. And I’m 100% clear that Mark Turgeon will only make the off-season even more soul-sucking. The only upside is I have a glimmer of hope that we might pursue a player or two this off-season who might actually improve the team. That, and spring training will be amazing next year. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It was a painful year.   Lots of games I turned off in disgust, lots of games I never turned on because they were out of hand by the time I finished dinner, lots of games I watched for three hours only to have defeat snatched from the jaws of victory in the bitter end.   

And yet, baseball >>> no baseball.    And for me, no Orioles baseball = no baseball.   Because I don’t care.    

It’s been two days and I’m already bored with the offseason, looking for minutiae about this past season I can explore to keep me occupied.    

It’s going to be a long winter.

Happens every Fall my friend. I love being able to plop down into my favorite chair from April to September to watch the O's. October is miserable until the Terps start playing basketball. 

Have to say, these last few years with crappy O’s teams I’ve been much more interested and invested in the post season. After suffering through some awful games it’s fun to watch competent teams. And after finally having experienced that atmosphere in 2012 and 2014 I can live vicariously through the fan bases and be all the more desperate to be the there again.

This is really the first season where I never watched an inning of Orioles baseball. I've been a fan for about 35 years. 

I read the Hangout multiple times a day, but I just can't get behind where the team is at currently. Maybe once football is over I'll miss it, hopefully by then though the off season will have a clearer picture.

1 hour ago, maybenxtyr said:

This is really the first season where I never watched an inning of Orioles baseball. I've been a fan for about 35 years. 

I read the Hangout multiple times a day, but I just can't get behind where the team is at currently. Maybe once football is over I'll miss it, hopefully by then though the off season will have a clearer picture.

Despite all the drek, it was gratifying and entertaining to watch some individual breakouts and inspired team efforts from time to time. Mullins, Mountcastle, Tyler Wells, Hays... even plucky K. Gutierrez or R. McKenna with some moments. In the end, even Skanky fans are reduced now to the same kind of consoling nostalgia, as will the other playoff contenders yet to fall, when only one team stands alone. Except, for them the memories will be all the more bitter, from high expectations.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I hope they give some indication of how the team views 2022 early.

That and the new CBA gets done early and not in May.

I think one of the best things the FO could do for its fan base is to make some legitimate free agent signings as soon as possible. Something — anything — to let everyone know that we will not have to endure another season like this yet again. Even if there is no likely chance to contend in ‘22, it’s nonetheless time to open the purse strings and at least put something watchable on the field. 

• Upvote 1

One week until Arizona Fall League opening day.

If anyone is fluent in it, I heard (but never attempted) this spring there was some kind of hack involving GameID numbers where you could get them from a spring training game in a Savant-equipped ballpark, go to Savant, open a box score type thing, change the GameID in your URL bar and see the usual MLB outputs for games involving minors guys.   In case it hasn't been closed...

I'm still waiting for a Stowers EV tidbit, but guess gearing up to try for self-reliance.

I've been to one AFL game, and saw Matt Wieters triple in it.

• Like 1