Who is the Orioles 2021 #2 prospect?

Tony-OH

Who is the Orioles 2021 #2 prospect?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Orioles 2021 #2 prospect?

• Colton Cowser - OF
    • D.L. Hall - LHP
    • Gunnar Henderson - SS
    • Grayson Rodriguez - RHP
    • Kyle Stowers - RF

This poll is closed to new votes

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep…I think the rest of the top 10 is tricky.  There are a lot of ways these guys can go.  No wrong answers imo, it’s just guessing what Tony goes with.

Like always! :D

Hopefully though my answers and rankings have merits on why one is ranked ahead of another. Saying that, I've always said the write ups are more important than the rankings.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Like always! :D

Hopefully though my answers and rankings have merits on why one is ranked ahead of another. Saying that, I've always said the write ups are more important than the rankings.

Yep..I think it’s a good thing too. 

This isn’t a case of ranking mediocre guys high because of the lack of depth/talent.

This is having a lot of talented and skilled guys and just figuring out what you value.  

The question for these lists is always, how are you ranking them?  Are you doing it by talent and upside?  Doing it by production/age/level of the minors?

I think a guy like Pinto, for example, is tough to rank.  I think he’s the third best pitching prospect we have and Hall, who is ahead of him, certainly has his issues.

OTOH, Pinto has only produced in low A while we have seen guys like Baumann and Bradish, perform well at the upper levels.  Does that trump the idea of Pinto’s upside?

To me, that’s where these lists get tricky and quite frankly, it’s so difficult to stay consistent on that.

I mean, if you were ranking pure upside and talent, doesn’t Basillo have to be in the top 10 and maybe higher? But are you putting him there with so little experience?  

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep..I think it’s a good thing too. 

This isn’t a case of ranking mediocre guys high because of the lack of depth/talent.

This is having a lot of talented and skilled guys and just figuring out what you value.  

The question for these lists is always, how are you ranking them?  Are you doing it by talent and upside?  Doing it by production/age/level of the minors?

I think a guy like Pinto, for example, is tough to rank.  I think he’s the third best pitching prospect we have and Hall, who is ahead of him, certainly has his issues.

OTOH, Pinto has only produced in low A while we have seen guys like Baumann and Bradish, perform well at the upper levels.  Does that trump the idea of Pinto’s upside?

To me, that’s where these lists get tricky and quite frankly, it’s so difficult to stay consistent on that.

I mean, if you were ranking pure upside and talent, doesn’t Basillo have to be in the top 10 and maybe higher? But are you putting him there with so little experience?  

Well remember, I go one one rule of thumb when ranking them, if I could only have one, who would I want in my system. Now saying that, you always have to put in the risk for each player despite the talent. Players that are farther way carry more inherent risk than players who performed well in AA and AAA. Saying that, I've always given upside a higher weight because I'd rather have a guy who still might become a starter or every day regular than a guy I think is going to the pen, going to be a 5th starter, or who is a 4thoutfielder/utility guy.

Where is really gets hard is the 1st year guys who weren't bonus babies. 

• Upvote 1

Toney, are you doing this by yourself or did you find somebody to do it with you? It’s a real hard task to do alone, not least because there’s nobody to argue with while preparing the list.

Im interested in how Kjesteds illness affects his placement, but even I have confidence in the first 5-6 guys.

4 hours ago, Philip said:

Toney, are you doing this by yourself or did you find somebody to do it with you? It’s a real hard task to do alone, not least because there’s nobody to argue with while preparing the list.

Im interested in how Kjesteds illness affects his placement, but even I have confidence in the first 5-6 guys.

That's not even close ---- just messin' with ya.

5 hours ago, Philip said:

I'm doing all the write ups and the list by myself this year although I have spoken with many people to get additional takes on players. Kjerstad is an interesting case to put on the list, but the upside talent if he can ever recover it is there.