Pre signing 2022 International Signing Class discussion

Just Regular

6 minutes ago, connja said:

FJKOoxoWYAMZGy6?format=jpg&name=medium

Leandro Arias is my birthday twin just like Hank Aaron and Roberto Alomar...keep it going, Leandro!

I hope Prieto is fast enough to use his Madrigal-skills from the left handed batters box to rush some infielders.   Basestealing skills look not that great...B-Ref has him with 20 SB and 16 CS in 4 seasons against Cuban batteries.

5 hours ago, connja said:

FJKOoxoWYAMZGy6?format=jpg&name=medium

A couple of thoughts about this class:

1.  Interesting that 10 of the 24 are from Venezuela.

2.  RHP Ezequiel Bonilla piques my interest.   Not only is he from a country (Panama) that isn’t as heavily scouted as the DR and Venezuela, but he’s also the youngest player in our class, born on 8/12/05.   He’ll still be 16 for most of the upcoming season.   He strikes me as a guy who other teams might have overlooked.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, Can_of_corn can sleep well tonight knowing that the O’s spent their entire allotment, according to Koby Perez.   Sounds like we got a bit lucky that we had unspent money and got Prieto for less than he otherwise might have been worth.    And finally, corroborating what some of us have been saying for years:

“These signings today, we’ve been working with them and their agents for three years,” Perez noted. “That is the reason we’ve been able to go a little bit toward the top of the signing classes. In future years, we’ll continue to do that. It takes time to get these players to commit to us and we’ve been working on these players for two or three years.”

So, I expected all along that it would take until this year until we were really fully equipped to compete for the top players, and now we are there.    No excuses given for this year, and none needed.    

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2022/01/os-add-braylin-tavera-at-17-million-as-signing-period-begins.html

That's a bit unfair.  I've not even suggested that the Os wouldn't spend their full allotment this period.

• Haha 2