Final Call: Who do the O's protect from the Rule 5 draft?

wildcard

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Jones is another guy who's main quality he has going for him is that he's already on the 40 man. 

Jones is being squeezed between Urias and Mateo in the majors and Vavra, Ortiz and Cullen pushing to get to AAA.   I can see Elias trying to find a team that would want Jones in exchange for a younger player at the single A level.  That would free up 40 man roster space.

On 11/14/2021 at 4:33 PM, Can_of_corn said:

With the top rated farm system shouldn't we be at the point in which we are using all 40 slots for our own guys?  If someone can't make another team's 40 why would we want to add them to our 26?

In a world where everyone makes perfect decisions, yes, we would. It's entirely possible some other team leaves a guy off their roster who is better than/Elias likes more than our top 40. I think it's fine to potentially expose our 40th best player to take advantage of such an opportunity

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

There are so many guys the could come off the 40 man roster before opening day.  It would not surprise me to see  any of Jones, Nevin, Martin, Diaz. Smith, Fry, Kriske, Krehbiel, Mattson, Bannon either released or traded for younger  prospects.

Mattson clearly has compromising pictures of Elias. I'm starting to think maybe Bannon does, too.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Jones has to hit a whole lot better to be useful in the outfield.

He's an easy guy to root for, and I think he survives the offseason on the 40, but he's going to have to put up offensive numbers or he's definitely in danger. With the number of middle infielder and outfield prospects we have rising through the system, it's hard to foresee a long term place for him. 

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Jones is being squeezed between Urias and Mateo in the majors and Vavra, Ortiz and Cullen pushing to get to AAA.   I can see Elias trying to find a team that would want Jones in exchange for a younger player at the single A level.  That would free up 40 man roster space.

Also the fact that he can't hit or play plus defense at any position :)

2 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

In a world where everyone makes perfect decisions, yes, we would. It's entirely possible some other team leaves a guy off their roster who is better than/Elias likes more than our top 40. I think it's fine to potentially expose our 40th best player to take advantage of such an opportunity

The O's 40 man roster is not that deep. Many of the prospects that make the O's farm system rated high do not have enough playing time  to need to be protected on the 40 man roster.

1 minute ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Mattson clearly has compromising pictures of Elias

His 2021 season was really bad. His prior statistical history in the minors was pretty damn solid. I'm guessing they want to give him a normal offseason and see what they have in ST before cutting him loose. Unless of course there are compromising pictures. 

4 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Mattson clearly has compromising pictures of Elias. I'm starting to think maybe Bannon does, too.

These are players that a year ago Elias needed to protect to keep them in the organization.  But they had bad years that exposed their weaknesses.     They could both be DFA'd if Elias needs  40 man roster space this off season.

22 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I feel like we're not focusing on the best part of today. It's not that we finally find out who we're going to protect from the Run V. It's that we soon get to geek out about which player we can steal from any of the other organizations with the first overall pick. 

This is when I miss Luke.   But, at least he’s giving the Orioles his views.  

I keep checking the MLB transactions page, but it’s not loading, probably because 20 million baseball lovers are doing exactly the same thing, trying to see how those rosters are going to end up. I’m fascinated by what the Yankees are going to do. They have a full 40 man roster right now, but in an article at Pinstripe Alley, much hand wringing was going on over a bunch of excellent prospects who needed to be added.

I am personally interested in whether Mike will make any trades before the deadline. Anybody he adds would also be rule five eligible, but it would result in better quality guys on the 40 man, and that will be an interesting development during the day.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Philip said:

I keep checking the MLB transactions page, but it’s not loading, probably because 20 million baseball lovers are doing exactly the same thing, trying to see how those rosters are going to end up. I’m fascinated by what the Yankees are going to do. They have a full 40 man roster right now, but in an article at Pinstripe Alley, much hand wringing was going on over a bunch of excellent prospects who needed to be added.

I am personally interested in whether Mike will make any trades before the deadline. Anybody he adds would also be rule five eligible, but it would result in better quality guys on the 40 man, and that will be an interesting development during the day.

Doing a little poking around, it seems like the Dodgers and Yankees could have some issues finding room for their guys.