Orioles promote 1 Coach, hire second

Legend_Of_Joey

28 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I wonder how major league hitters will react to a guys with limited or no pro experience as a hitting coach. 

Remember, doing a thing well and coaching a thing well are two different skill sets, The only hitting coach worse than Barry bonds was Ted Williams.

Having said that, I’ve never been around 15 guys were huge egos, So I cannot anticipate the dynamic. However, I am extremely interested in the dynamic of two Coaches who have never worked with each other. How are they going to handle the differences in philosophy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I wonder how major league hitters will react to a guys with limited or no pro experience as a hitting coach. 

Well I hope the roster improves, but the past few years a lot of Orioles were only MLB ball players because they played for this organization. It is an interesting dynamic though and something to watch next year. 

Baseball America wrote about the topic a couple years ago. 

Ask BA: How Many MLB Hitting Coaches Never Played For An Organization?

That’s actually not as uncommon as you might expect. Albert is one of three current head hitting coaches who lacks any affiliated pro experience. The two others (the Mets’ Pat Roessler and Pirates’ Rick Eckstein) did not have any games of pro playing experience, either in affiliated or indy ball. Both did play college ball.

Two other MLB hitting coaches never reached Double-A as a player. The Twins’ James Rowson, played 128 games of affiliated baseball in short-season, rookie and Class A leagues and John Mallee had 115 games in rookie ball and Class A.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

If Adley says he is a good coach it will carry a lot of weight with the rest of the team.

Huh? I love Adley.  But this is a weird take.  It falls in line with Adley being the second coming of Jesus in cleats.  "If Adley says so, he must be right".  I heard Adley really liked working with Tom Eller at Aberdeen.  Therefore, he is the right guy for the job.

52 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

Huh? I love Adley.  But this is a weird take.  It falls in line with Adley being the second coming of Jesus in cleats.  "If Adley says so, he must be right".  I heard Adley really liked working with Tom Eller at Aberdeen.  Therefore, he is the right guy for the job.

Adley will be a leader on the 2022 O's.   Maybe not the only leader but a leader.  The players know the kind of player he is and how baseball smart he is.  And he worked well with Fuller at Bowie.

Only swing at the pitches that you can hit hard.   That is Fuller philosophy that he has spread through he minors has minor league pitching coordinator.   And he will work with Mountcastle, Hays and Santander to try to raise their OBP while making the balls they hit more productive.

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well can’t hurt to try anything with the coaching hirings this year. It’s likely Hyde’s last season so a new coach will actually want to bring in his guys. If we can convince someone other than Hyde to manage this team. 

Holt and Fuller are Elias coaches.

9 hours ago, Philip said:

Remember, doing a thing well and coaching a thing well are two different skill sets, The only hitting coach worse than Barry bonds was Ted Williams.

The first year Williams managed the Senators, their offense improved by 170 runs.  And he was spending all his time working with the hitters.   Admittedly, they got worse from there.   

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Only swing at the pitches that you can hit hard.   That is Fuller philosophy that he has spread through he minors has minor league pitching coordinator.   And he will work with Mountcastle, Hays and Santander to try to raise their OBP while making the balls they hit more productive.

Please stop.  You obsessed over Holt, called him a wizard and acted like he was some savior..and he didn’t have much of an impact.

Before you start all your grand proclamations of the greatness of people, let’s just see how they work out.

Something as simple as Fuller seems like a good hire and he got a lot out of the hitters will suffice.

Im glad they promoted him up here.  I like what I have heard and seen but let’s stop thinking hes got magic fairy dust and will start to make impatient hitters patient, etc…

38 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Adley will be a leader on the 2022 O's.   Maybe not the only leader but a leader.  The players know the kind of player he is and how baseball smart he is.  And he worked well with Fuller at Bowie.

Ok. But he is Adley Rutschman. Not Buster Posey.  One is going to the Hall of Fame. The other hasn't seen a major league pitch.

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Please stop.  You obsessed over Holt, called him a wizard and acted like he was some savior..and he didn’t have much of an impact.

Before you start all your grand proclamations of the greatness of people, let’s just see how they work out.

Something as simple as Fuller seems like a good hire and he got a lot out of the hitters will suffice.

Im glad they promoted him up here.  I like what I have heard and seen but let’s stop thinking hes got magic fairy dust and will start to make impatient hitters patient, etc…

I'm still think highly of Holt.  I think missing a month hurt. 

I don't know how  Fuller will work out but he will surely will be bringing the philosophy he has been successfully preaching in the minors.