O’s sign Jordan Lyles

LookinUp

34 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I don't think Elias is dumb. But ownership is a different story. The moves seems like it does not fit the plan that Elias has communicated to the media multiple times, seems desperate, and is overpaying for mediocrity. That is incredibly consistent with the way the Orioles operated during the naughts. 

In the naughts they'd sign a bunch of average-ish 32-year-olds for $7M, so they nonsensically paid good money for a 70-win team.  They paid above sticker for a Buick Encore.

This is $7M+ for a player who, on the surface, looks bad.  This is paying $22k for a 2011 Chevy Cruze, presumably on the hopes that they can stage 3 tune it without it blowing up.

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

In the naughts they'd sign a bunch of average-ish 32-year-olds for $7M, so they nonsensically paid good money for a 70-win team.  They paid above sticker for a Buick Encore.

This is $7M+ for a player who, on the surface, looks bad.  This is paying $22k for a 2011 Chevy Cruze, presumably on the hopes that they can stage 3 tune it without it blowing up.

Weren’t you upset last year about teams like the Orioles not being competitive at all? 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Weren’t you upset last year about teams like the Orioles not being competitive at all? 

Who isn't?  But I'm not at all convinced that signing a guy who's 2 wins below replacement for his career moves the needle towards competitiveness at all.

But I'm also not in any way a fan of signing a bunch of Kevin Millars.  The 1998-2011 Orioles won 72 games a year, spent nothing on development, still had an average payroll for God knows what reason, and it was almost miraculous they had a pretty good team from '12-16.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Who isn't?  But I'm not at all convinced that signing a guy who's 2 wins below replacement for his career moves the needle towards competitiveness at all.

But I'm also not in any way a fan of signing a bunch of Kevin Millars.  The 1998-2011 Orioles won 72 games a year, spent nothing on development, still had an average payroll for God knows what reason, and it was almost miraculous they had a pretty good team from '12-16.

I’m not convinced either. Those teams had a ton of those types of players. Lyles is one. 

I don’t care if they sign 2 more like him. The pitching last year was an embarrassment. It was pathetic. I would rather see a young kid soak up 150 innings but we see where that got them last year. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

You have been yelling for months/years about what a cheapskate the O's owner is and how Elias could spend much more on a variety for players of your choosing.  And certainly Elias has no history of over paying.

And you acknowledge that Elias is analytically driven.  

So maybe, just maybe he and Sig see something that you don't.  Maybe to get a starter to come to Camden Yard in the AL East for a last place team he had to pay.   But we will not know how good or bad an assessment Elias has made until after the season and if he is right it may not be true at all that this was the wrong thing to do.

It would be out of character for Elias to through 7m down the drain for no good reason when he has been trying to do nothing but cut payroll for 3 years.

Yea, you are overthinking this.

They are paying for innings.  They are paying for someone who takes the ball every 5th day.

They aren’t expecting more than that. They aren’t expecting a career renaissance.  They just hope he can make it through and eat innings.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, you are overthinking this.

They are paying for innings.  They are paying for someone who takes the ball every 5th day.

They aren’t expecting more than that. They aren’t expecting a career renaissance.  They just hope he can make it through and eat innings.

Also we just need a RH SP. Zimmerman, Akin, and Lowther have shown the most promise so far. Baumann, Bradish, ans Kremer need some more seasoning in AAA. 

36 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Also we just need a RH SP. Zimmerman, Akin, and Lowther have shown the most promise so far. Baumann, Bradish, ans Kremer need some more seasoning in AAA. 

Interestingly, Bradish has had more AAA innings (86.2) than Kremer (81.2) and Baumann (27.0), though he’s only played two seasons of professional baseball.  I don’t know that any of the three need more seasoning.  But, they need to be pitching well this spring and not get a job handed to them.    If not, back to AAA until they do pitch well for a good period.  

Considering what COVID has done to young pitchers, his 65 MLB starts between ages 20 and 22 look unusual, though some of that is just being who HOU had as things bottomed out.

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/strikeout-rate-surges-to-believe-in/

This piece shows only Dylan Cease improved his Swinging Strike rate more last year.  I know some fantasy types look at whiffs more than K's as a bigger and more granular data set.  The 10.5% last year was a career best.  He's probably hopeless, this is more in the trying to imagine what the team saw category.

• 1 year later...
On 12/3/2021 at 11:45 AM, sevastras said:

I still think they should move the fences back 20’. They could have one of the fastest outfields with Hays and Mullins. Also, their pitching would be better and they don’t have that much of a home run hitting team like years past. They could resign Bundy as well because most of his HRs allowed weren’t over 20 feet over. 

Its crazy all the stuff that's happened in 1.5 calendar years of baseball.

Please pardon the old bump as a kind of tribute - Lyles did a good job for us.    We all spent a year watching what his good games look like and some where he falls off the edge of the knife.     Today he's a yardstick for whatever this group of Bats is growing into.     

If Gunnar Henderson is on the bench again today, I will officially wonder if Luis Torrens is getting his roster spot.

We're now 7/32nds through the Kyle Gibson sequel, and if Elias can keep improving the brand by curating a performance that rates him a 2-year deal too, at which point he fades as a 2024 Orioles possibility, should we still need this character.

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Its crazy all the stuff that's happened in 1.5 calendar years of baseball.

Please pardon the old bump as a kind of tribute - Lyles did a good job for us.    We all spent a year watching what his good games look like and some where he falls off the edge of the knife.     Today he's a yardstick for whatever this group of Bats is growing into.     

If Gunnar Henderson is on the bench again today, I will officially wonder if Luis Torrens is getting his roster spot.

We're now 7/32nds through the Kyle Gibson sequel, and if Elias can keep improving the brand by curating a performance that rates him a 2-year deal too, at which point he fades as a 2024 Orioles possibility, should we still need this character.

How can they replace Henderson with Torrens!   That’s almost impossible.  A roster with no backup infielder and two LH 1B/OF?    I think Stowers goes again.   

24 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

How can they replace Henderson with Torrens!   That’s almost impossible.  A roster with no backup infielder and two LH 1B/OF?    I think Stowers goes again.   

Hope to god it's O'Hearn.  I thought that's why we paid him the big bucks was to shuffle a solid back-up between AAA and MLB as needed.