Which of the remaining Free Agents are the best fit for the O's?

wildcard

I know there's literally zero chance this happens, but I'd go after... Carlos Rodon.  He's a major injury risk, and supposedly that's gonna keep everyone from offering him more than 2 to 3 years.  So offer him 4 years.  He showed last season that when he's 100% healthy, he's a legit TOR starter, but after coming back from the injured list in August, his velocity was down, and he didn't do well in the playoffs.  But he just turned 29.  White Sox decided not to make him an 18.4 mil qualifying offer - an indication they don't think there's a big market for him.  Give him a 4 year contract that includes incentives for number of starts.  

Then make the trade with Miami to get Lopez and Meyer.  Our starting rotation at the end of the year would be Rodon, Means, Lopez, GrayRod, and Meyer - with Hall next in line.    

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I know there's literally zero chance this happens, but I'd go after... Carlos Rodon.  He's a major injury risk, and supposedly that's gonna keep everyone from offering him more than 2 to 3 years.  So offer him 4 years.  He showed last season that when he's 100% healthy, he's a legit TOR starter, but after coming back from the injured list in August, his velocity was down, and he didn't do well in the playoffs.  But he just turned 29.  White Sox decided not to make him an 18.4 mil qualifying offer - an indication they don't think there's a big market for him.  Give him a 4 year contract that includes incentives for number of starts.  

Then make the trade with Miami to get Lopez and Meyer.  Our starting rotation at the end of the year would be Rodon, Means, Lopez, GrayRod, and Meyer - with Hall next in line.    

The WS, a playoff team, not willing to take a 1 year, 18M risk on him tells me they don't feel very confident about his health for THIS season.

35 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

We have no idea if Miami will trade with us. We have no idea if Rodon will agree to a contract that essentially isn't guaranteed. I would be OK with both ideas but it takes two sides to agree. 

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

We have no idea if Miami will trade with us. We have no idea if Rodon will agree to a contract that essentially isn't guaranteed. I would be OK with both ideas but it takes two sides to agree. 

I started out by saying I realize it has no chance; it's what I would try to do.    

Any trade idea we'd come up with has an extremely small chance of happening.  The point is to discuss its merits if we were running the team.  

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

I started out by saying I realize it has no chance; it's what I would try to do.    

Any trade idea we'd come up with has an extremely small chance of happening.  The point is to discuss its merits if we were running the team.  

Edit - Any acquisition idea...

10 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

... which is what I said.  

You said we should offer him a 4-year contract when the team that knows his situation best, and is a contender, wouldn't gamble 1/18 on him.  I  don't think we are saying the same thing.  I would be very weary of offering him a 4 year contract and it's unlikely he signs one with a low base and heavily incentivised.  It's not a bad idea if he would.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You said we should offer him a 4-year contract when the team that knows his situation best, and is a contender, wouldn't gamble 1/18 on him.  I  don't think we are saying the same thing.  I would be very weary of offering him a 4 year contract and it's unlikely he signs one with a low base and heavily incentivised.  It's not a bad idea if he would.

I said: "White Sox decided not to make him an 18.4 mil qualifying offer - an indication they don't think there's a big market for him."  

The O's are obviously not a team that the better free agent pitchers are going to consider - all things being equal, so they need to be creative and take a chance or 2 - if they're going to be successful.  

And the salary minimum that's likely to be included in the next CBA will likely require them to spend some money.  I'd like to see them take a chance on something that could be better than mediocre.  I'd rather not spend the money on guys like Zach Davies, Brett Anderson, and Drew Smyly.  Try things like front-loading a contract - so they get closer to the salary minimum in the first 2 years while not paying as much later in the contract.    

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Try things like front-loading a contract - so they get closer to the salary minimum in the first 2 years while not paying as much later in the contract.    

The current cap is calculated using AAV, I'm positive any future floor would be as well.  Front loading is almost always a bad idea.