BA: Os have 5 top 100 prospects

Sports Guy

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Adley shouldn’t be #1, so it’s not surprising it’s not a consensus.

Is this just so you can remind us again that you preferred Bobby Witt Jr. who has turned into a great prospect but who carried much more risk on draft day?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Nice to see it.  Curious to see what other times since 1990 we've had 5 in the top 100, but at the same time I don't want to trigger the PTSD.  

I think there’s a good chance that we could have as many as 8 top 100 guys by mid season…just depends on the status of Adley and GRod.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think there’s a good chance that we could have as many as 8 top 100 guys by mid season…just depends on the status of Adley and GRod.

My guess is Adley’s off the list no later than mid-June.   Anyway, who are your other three — Mayo, Westburg, Kjerstad (if he reestablishes himself)?   Or are you counting whoever we draft at 1:1?

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My guess is Adley’s off the list no later than mid-June.   Anyway, who are your other three — Mayo, Westburg, Kjerstad (if he reestablishes himself)?   Or are you counting whoever we draft at 1:1?

I was thinking Mayo, Kjerstad and the first pick.  I guess Westburg could factor in as well.

The first pick is a given.  The rest depends but I think they could all move quickly, especially if we see a lot of promotions off the top 100 list.

BA posted average exit velocities and average fastball velo for everyone in the top 100.  Almost everyone fell between 86-91 for hitters but surprisingly Adley measured on the low end at 87.  Cowser at 88.  Henderson at 89.  Witt Jr. at 90.  Austin Martin at 86.  No one lower than 86.  Pirates SS at 94!  No one else above 91.

Rodriguez and Hall both at 97 for average fastball velo.

• Thanks 1

Some points from the top 100 chat on BA:

• Molly (New Jersey): Thanks everyone for the chat! Who are some prospects not currently on the list that you could see rocketing up it this year? Similar to a Cavalli or Moreno ascension last season

Geoff Pontes: Hi Molly! Thanks for joining us today. A few names that came up in conversations with contacts that just missed are the Brewers Sal Frelick, the Dodgers Andy Pages, the Reds Matt McLain, and the Orioles Coby Mayo. I'm not sure any have that sort of climb in 2022 but they're early enough in their careers that a jump could happen. - Geoff

• Zach (Baltimore): Mayo and Kjerstad both seem like guys that can enter the top 100 with a good 2022 season. Is there a chance a healthy Carter Baumler does enough this season to warrant consideration?

Geoff Pontes: Hi Zach, thanks for your question. I agree with your point around Coby Mayo and Heston Kjerstad having a good shot to crack the top 100 with strong seasons. Baumler on the other hand would really have to set the world one fire - a la Eury Perez - to push his way into consideration. The expectation is he'll likely begin his career in the GCL, and that really limits the amount of innings he'll see. That's not even factoring the injury and the time it takes to get back to 100%. - Geoff

• Upvote 1

• Jason (Chicago, IL): Which pitchers in the Top 100 have true #1 / #2 upside?

Geoff Pontes: Hi Jason and thanks for the question. There's a few that come to mind but first and foremost Grayson Rodriguez, Shane Baz, and George Kirby. They all have a mix of stuff and command that puts them in a different tier. As far as stuff is concerned Daniel Espino, Eury Perez, and D.L. Hall all have top of the rotation stuff, but each has some question they will need to overcome in order to get there. - Geoff

• Casey (Maryland): Is there a scenario where Colton Cowser rises to the top half of this list if he continues his success from the end of the last season?

Kyle Glaser: Cowser certainly has some believers as a guy who could rise into the top half of the list next season. It's not universal, but there are some evaluators who really believe in his bat and think he could be an All-Star-caliber hitter.

RE: Austin Martin debate

• Ross (Boss): Who were the most divisive prospects on the list as it was being compiled?

Kyle Glaser: Austin Martin continues to be an extremely divisive prospect. If you like him, you see a mature hitter who makes contact, gets on-base and capably handled a difficult jump straight to Double-A in his pro debut. If you don't like him, you see a light hitter who doesn't have a position and needs to improve his power, arm and defense substantially to be even an average regular. There's merit to both perspectives, and his jump to Triple-A next season will be instructive.

• Jeff (Atlanta): How is Coby Mayo not in this top 100? You have 2020 Zac Veen , amd Mayos # are much better, am I missing something other then Veen was 1st rounder ? Not hating on Veen but stating facts

Kyle Glaser: Veen played a full season at Low-A. Mayo played in the complex leagues and 27 games of Low-A at the end of the season. The level of competition they faced is hugely different, and frankly not comparable.