New CBA proposal on draft lottery

oriolediehard

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The sport really does need a complete overhaul. There is a lot that should change.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The only thing that really hurt them over the last 2 years was the pandemic.   The sport is not hurting in the least if that doesn't happen.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Arbitration is something the owners don't like but are  stuck with.   If the formula now is  3 year players get 40% of the open market,  4 year get 60% and 5 year get 80% and the union believe these players should get more while in their age 20s then increasing those levels to 50%, 70% and 90% would help.    

There is no formula.   Those 40/60/80 figures are back of the envelope estimates of what happens in reality, but they aren’t used by arbitrators or found in the CBA.   And honestly, I think the 40/60/80 estimate is probably pretty far off base and varies a lot by the quality of the player.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There is no formula.   Those 40/60/80 figures are back of the envelope estimates of what happens in reality, but they aren’t used by arbitrators or found in the CBA.   And honestly, I think the 40/60/80 estimate is probably pretty far off base and varies a lot by the quality of the player.  

Maybe they sure create a formula then.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If they think they are close why have a sense of urgency?

The general public isn't worked up about this.  They've got time.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not in April.  They'd wait until later in the year when the revenue generation favors owners more.

Yeah you’re probably right. That puts a lot more pressure on the owners. Either way, I suppose the owners know this and have no intentions of lifting the lockout without an agreement. They also likely have little motivation to agree to something early on with little money being made, so I guess us fans will have to be content with minor league baseball for a while. 

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Anyone who thinks the players union is doing anything to better baseball or the fan experience is fooling themselves. Everything they want is about raising their already outrageous paydays because what really need is more Ubaldo Jimenez's making $12 million a year. That's fun.

What percentage of players are making $12 million a year and for how many years? The median income for MLB players is $1.15 million which is vastly different than how you're framing it. The average salary is declining. I really don't understand the "millionaire vs billionaire" framing of this dispute. Most players don't make nearly as much money as some think they do and most don't have long careers to make that money. Owners are sitting on a cashcow that steadily increases in value that is independent from how they earn their wealth anyway. I don't understand how Ubaldo getting $12 million is somehow worse for the average fan. Put me on the team of guys like Mullins over the owners any day of the week.  

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, LTO's said:

What percentage of players are making $12 million a year and for how many years? The median income for MLB players is $1.15 million which is vastly different than how you're framing it. The average salary is declining. I really don't understand the "millionaire vs billionaire" framing of this dispute. Most players don't make nearly as much money as some think they do and most don't have long careers to make that money. Owners are sitting on a cashcow that steadily increases in value that is independent from how they earn their wealth anyway. I don't understand how Ubaldo getting $12 million is somehow worse for the average fan. Put me on the team of guys like Mullins over the owners any day of the week.  

The question I have is what is the median income for Union Representatives?

Are the Union Reps going to lay it on the line to make big improvements for the 0-5 service year guys or are they more interested in improving things for the post free agent crowd?

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Are the Union Reps going to lay it on the line to make big improvements for the 0-5 service year guys or are they more interested in improving things for the post free agent crowd?

From what I’ve read about the MLBPA proposals, it seems they are operating with these players in mind. Higher minimum salary, earlier FA, 100 mil bonus pool for high-performing pre-arb guys.

I guess it depends on what it means to lay it on the line.

7 minutes ago, LTO's said:

From what I’ve read about the MLBPA proposals, it seems they are operating with these players in mind. Higher minimum salary, earlier FA, 100 mil bonus pool for high-performing pre-arb guys.

I guess it depends on what it means to lay it on the line.

I'd prefer if they did.

I'm just interested in seeing where things end up.

4 hours ago, LTO's said:

It seems like the union has been more interested in the past in improving the pay of the guys making 20 mill/yr than in improving the earnings of those making $2 million or less.  There is always a big push to get an increase on the largest contract or highest salary per year.  Seems like the less well paid players would have a bigger voice.  I guess seniority rule and mega salary guys have 6-20 years of experience vs the 5 years or less just trying to keep their spot and find a voice.