New CBA proposal on draft lottery

oriolediehard

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If someone told you that the Orioles will be a few games over .500 for a few years before falling back into irrelevance but they'd had to lose awful like they have over the last three years, would you do it?

We have no guarantee this pain will lead to any success, certainly not two decades worth.  Look at the Phillies rebuild.

Well, we do know that starting off with 47 wins , Angelos budgets, and a D-grade farm system was going to lead to a lot of pain no matter the course.  Well, as long as the course didn't involve Saudi Arabia buying the team and allocating $200M a year to new player acquisition.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Sure, and I get why they did it.  Elias really didn't have a choice.  He inherited a 47-win team with budget constraints and a terrible farm system.

But I think MLB should be setting up incentives so that blowing your team up and not trying to win for a while is absolutely a last-ditch resort. Not something the Nats and Cubs do when they're five games out in July and they don't have all their potential free agent contracts lined up quite right.

Those small market Braves had a nice little teardown and rebuild.

22 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Sure, and I get why they did it.  Elias really didn't have a choice.  He inherited a 47-win team with budget constraints and a terrible farm system.

But I think MLB should be setting up incentives so that blowing your team up and not trying to win for a while is absolutely a last-ditch resort. Not something the Nats and Cubs do when they're five games out in July and they don't have all their potential free agent contracts lined up quite right.

Heaven forbid they impose a tax or fine on teams not in it to compete....Let's just give them draft picks for sucking and letting their best players go on to real teams. I'd LOVE for a committee of owners that forced sales of crappy owners who have no desire to win...but none of this will happen.... 

On 2/1/2022 at 12:30 PM, Frobby said:

There is no formula.   Those 40/60/80 figures are back of the envelope estimates of what happens in reality, but they aren’t used by arbitrators or found in the CBA.   And honestly, I think the 40/60/80 estimate is probably pretty far off base and varies a lot by the quality of the player.  

There’s a piece on Fangraphs today discussing how Super 2’s get compensated each year they are eligible for arbitration.   It’s broken down into three categories, position players/starters/relievers.   The position players and starters are very close to each other in $/WAR, but the relievers are a lot different.   I’ll leave out the details, but I’d say the scale is more like:

Arb 1: 15-20% of FA value

Arb 2: 30-35% of FA value

Arb 3: 45-50% of FA value

Arb 4: 67-75% of FA value

Now, Super-2’s do get dinged a bit for their lack of seniority, so for regular Arb 1/2/3 it’s probably more like 20/35/50.

Think about Manny for example, worth $30 mm/yr as a free agent.   In Arb 1 he made 17% of that, Arb 2 38%, Arb 3 53%.   

Here’s the Fangraphs piece.  https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-super-two-compensation-update/