Universal DH likely?

Sports Guy

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

SD does seem like a good destination for Mancini.  I would like to get Reggie Lawson from them.  He is a power arm that has had command issues. May never harness it but if he does, scouts think he could be a starter or a really good BP arm.

If you can get him and perhaps one of their many int’l FA lottery ticket type guys, that would be good imo.

Lawson is a borderline top 10 guy in their system and they have several international players in the 15-35 area of their organization.  

They have a few ML BP arms that are making 3-4M that were good last year but are older.  I would assume they want to keep those guys since they performed well but if for some reason they feel they are deep down there and want to have some salary trade off, taking back Garcia or Stammen is something we should do as well.

I agree, if we can get anything for Mancini we should probably take it. I can see the case for both Knehr and Lawson. Elliot looks interesting too. And you can't go wrong with a name like Gasser for a pitcher. 

Florida also had league worst offense and has pitching to spare as you know. Maybe McCambley? 

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I agree, if we can get anything for Mancini we should probably take it. I can see the case for both Knehr and Lawson. Elliot looks interesting too. And you can't go wrong with a name like Gasser for a pitcher. 

Florida also had league worst offense and has pitching to spare as you know. Maybe McCambley? 

The Marlins could be a destination. I would think they would prefer Santander because of cost but its possible.

I still would love to see a Mullins/Santander for Meyer/Lopez/Anderson deal.   

MIA does not seem like they would be buyers.  Even with the DH.  Their organization goals would be very similar to the O's by targeting windows of competitiveness and stockpiling minor league talent.  Can't see them trading away any type of prospect off-season (maybe mid-season if they are in the hunt).  Especially with the defending WS champs (ATL), the 3rd highest payroll (NYM), and throw in PHI for good measure of teams MIA needs to measure up with.  

SD, MIL, and SF currently seem like teams who could use an extra 1B/OF/DH type bat in the NL.  Maybe STL, PHI, LAD (injury depth).

Some potential AL suitors:  DET, SEA, TB?, and can always count on NYY being buyers.

12 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

MIA does not seem like they would be buyers.  Even with the DH.  Their organization goals would be very similar to the O's by targeting windows of competitiveness and stockpiling minor league talent.  Can't see them trading away any type of prospect off-season (maybe mid-season if they are in the hunt).  Especially with the defending WS champs (ATL), the 3rd highest payroll (NYM), and throw in PHI for good measure of teams MIA needs to measure up with.  

SD, MIL, and SF currently seem like teams who could use an extra 1B/OF/DH type bat in the NL.  Maybe STL, PHI, LAD (injury depth).

Some potential AL suitors:  DET, SEA, TB?, and can always count on NYY being buyers.

It's true, they won only 67 games last year but they have been net buyers this offseason. Nothing major but they signed Avisail Garcia and traded for Wendle. They've got some good young pitching in the majors now with more to come. 

18 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Miami thinks they can contend this season. They are in the market for a top CFer and reportedly, Ketel Marte is in their sites (Os need to send them Mullins).  They have a lot of young talent and must think they are ready to really contribute, especially since they are so deep in starting pitchers.  

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Miami thinks they can contend this season. They are in the market for a top CFer and reportedly, Ketel Marte is in their sites (Os need to send them Mullins).  They have a lot of young talent and must think they are ready to really contribute, especially since they are so deep in starting pitchers.  

Hmm...  I missed/disregarded those headlines... 

Marlin revenues are around $100-150m.  Really seems odd...  Very slim chance they are legit bidders on a big bat in FA.  Maybe one of the second/third tier FA bats.  (Feels like the DH would put a team like the Marlins even more behind the competitive curve...)  

Seeing the Reynolds/Mullins/Marte chatter now.  

I'll take Perez+ or Cabrera+ for Mullins.  No real interest in Sixto or Luzardo if they are shopping them.

26 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Hmm...  I missed/disregarded those headlines... 

Marlin revenues are around $100-150m.  Really seems odd...  Very slim chance they are legit bidders on a big bat in FA.  Maybe one of the second/third tier FA bats.  (Feels like the DH would put a team like the Marlins even more behind the competitive curve...)  

Seeing the Reynolds/Mullins/Marte chatter now.  

I'll take Perez+ or Cabrera+ for Mullins.  No real interest in Sixto or Luzardo if they are shopping them.

That seems unbelievable.

In 2019 they received 70M in revenue sharing.  In 2020 they received 20 million for their local cable deal.  In 2022 they will be getting 60.1M in national TV money.

That's 150M right there.

https://dodgerblue.com/mlb-teams-receive-at-least-100-million-annually-from-tv-rights-contracts/2022/02/11/

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-update-the-estimated-local-tv-revenue-for-mlb-teams/

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2021/12/16/22831008/mlbs-revenue-sharing-problem-and-how-to-solve-it

• Upvote 1

D

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

That seems unbelievable.

In 2019 they received 70M in revenue sharing.  In 2020 they received 20 million for their local cable deal.  In 2022 they will be getting 60.1M in national TV money.

That's 150M right there.

Does $150+m ($200-250m?) move them out of the bottom 5 in total revenues?  Or at least into a place to compete for higher priced FA bats?

1 minute ago, btdart20 said:

D

Does $150+m ($200-250m?) move them out of the bottom 5 in total revenues?  Or at least into a place to compete for higher priced FA bats?

That's on ownership.

I'm of the camp that every team can afford a couple market priced higher end free agents.

They do appear to have one of the smaller revenue streams.

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's on ownership.

I'm of the camp that every team can afford a couple market priced higher end free agents.

They do appear to have one of the smaller revenue streams.

The Orioles found the cash to sign Davis for $160M despite being in the bottom third of revenues. For a year or two their payroll was in the $150M range.

Plus it's the Marlins.  They'll sign you to a 10/450 deal, declare you are the franchise for now and ever, and trade you three months later to the Yanks.

13 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Were they right to sign him?

Guess it depends on how you look at it.

I think it was a dumb contract both at the time and in hindsight.  

But that doesn’t mean it was a bad idea to sign him.  It just depends on what else you are willing to do around a contract like that.