Correa (Update, signs with Twins)

Yardball85

8 minutes ago, waroriole said:

My guess is the O’s did make a significant offer to Correa but he has no interest in signing because of how the team has been run the last few years. He’s probably desperately seeking a comparable offer so he doesn’t feel forced to go to Baltimore by MLBPA. 

Bunch of scuttlebutt, but I'll continue playing along...

If I'm the O's, and IF the O's put in a larger offer, and IF Correa signs for less to play in Houston, then I would share that publicly after the fact.  Sure it's a little black-eye for the team, but it's not like we don't have that already.  But it clearly shows Correa's desire to compete is aligned with fans interest.  And not the main issues that MLBPA or owners in the recent CBA...  

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't doubt that Elias wants him.   Or that Angelos would approve the offer.    I doubt the offer because no one credible is reporting it.   Not even Heyman who would probably know if Boras wanted to leak it.

This is a very weak reason for not thinking its credible.

The idea that you believe Angelos would offer it but its not real because Heyman isn't reporting it is kind of funny.

29 minutes ago, waroriole said:

My guess is the O’s did make a significant offer to Correa but he has no interest in signing because of how the team has been run the last few years. He’s probably desperately seeking a comparable offer so he doesn’t feel forced to go to Baltimore by MLBPA. 

$300 million probably won't sign Correa, and I don't think it is the best use for the O's if they can only afford one mega contract.  I would rather use the money to extend Mullins, Adley, or G Rod, and put the rest in the "war chest".  With the funds from not signing Tex, Vlad (1st contract), etc it should be a huge war chest for when the O's are ready to contend and need to add pieces. 

Just now, jabba72 said:

I really dont want Correa for 10 years, because he wont be a good SS at 37.  8 is the highest I would go. Even that number im expecting  a few below average or worse years. 

I have said 8/280 with 180M in the first 4 years and an opt out after that. (I would put in an opt clause for every year after the 4th year).

Thats a big offer.  May not get him but that would be my preference over 10/300.  

That said, I do not think we get him without going longer.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

$300 million probably won't sign Correa, and I don't think it is the best use for the O's if they can only afford one mega contract.  I would rather use the money to extend Mullins, Adley, or G Rod, and put the rest in the "war chest".  With the funds from not signing Tex, Vlad (1st contract), etc it should be a huge war chest for when the O's are ready to contend and need to add pieces. 

They easily can do all of this and even if you extend GRod or Adley tomorrow, they won't start making "real money" for 5 more years.

Even that first year of arbitration will only be 4-5M.

The idea of extending Mullins shouldn't even be a consideration right now and you have him for a while longer anyway.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I definitely consider Correa elite.  The main reservation I have with him is durability.   

His durability concerns me as well, especially since so much of his value is tied to his defense and that tends to start slipping once you get into your 30s even if you're not banged up.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

To be clear, Ben Verlander didn’t confirm anything.  He just quoted Ryan’s article and said it appears Correa has been offered this deal by the Os.

Very different than him confirming it.

His article said he confirmed it with multiple sources. 

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I have said 8/280 with 180M in the first 4 years and an opt out after that. (I would put in an opt clause for every year after the 4th year).

Thats a big offer.  May not get him but that would be my preference over 10/300.  

Its just not realistic to expect a SS to be useful after age 35 in todays game. Im hoping this rumor is false. 

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t like this. You’re basically signing him for 4/180, unless he sucks or gets hurt. We’re unlikely to be a contender for at least 1 of those years. Then you’re giving him another 4/100 to be a drain on the payroll. 

Either way, you’re probably right that it doesn’t matter because we’ll need the best offer by far. 

6 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Its just not realistic to expect a SS to be useful after age 35 in todays game. Im hoping this rumor is false. 

But he could be a useful third baseman.  The back end of the contract will probably suck but if you win a title in the meantime, who cares.

He will also be surrounded by cheap guys who could be elite, so that makes it even easier.

29 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I was wondering that too.  

The longer this goes on, I think the further he gets away from Houston but it allows for some mystery team out of nowhere to swoop in and sign him.  

The more it drags on I think th likelyhood he ends up back in HOU increases.  The Astros don't seem like they were anxious to get rid of him and I don't get the impression he was unhappy there.

If Boras is unsuccessful getting anyone to bite on the type of deal he wants I think Houston is the most likely fallback on a shorter term deal. It would allow Boras to try again in a year or two for the massive deal.

• Upvote 1