Jordan Lyles agrees to 1-year deal with O's

Natty

The whole Lyles discussion is kind of interesting, in an odd way.   None of us object to having him on the team per se.   If he was a cheap late February pickup in a normal offseason I think a lot of folks would say, hey, not a bad idea, he might eat some innings, maybe his September is a sign of something, if not, it's no big deal.   Our entire complaint is that we clearly overpaid.

And yet in every other topic lately, our complaint is that the Orioles are cheap and don't spend ENOUGH.   They are cutting corners in many visible ways and that, rightfully, upsets us.

So 90% of the time we are upset that the team doesn't spend enough, but here in the Lyles thread we are upset they spent too much.

It's just really odd.   Alanis Morrisette might go so far as to say it's ironic.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Agreed on that…if, but why that much money? He didn’t exactly have teams lined up for his services, right? We can’t any major league contracts but he’s spending $7m on this guy that wasn’t in high demand? Doesn’t make sense. 

We don't know the demand for him and again, if they saw something and think he's worth it because of the new slider, then why not? Can't complain about the Orioles signing a guy for too much money and then turn around and call them cheap! lol 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

The whole Lyles discussion is kind of interesting, in an odd way.   None of us object to having him on the team per se.   If he was a cheap late February pickup in a normal offseason I think a lot of folks would say, hey, not a bad idea, he might eat some innings, maybe his September is a sign of something, if not, it's no big deal.   Our entire complaint is that we clearly overpaid.

And yet in every other topic lately, our complaint is that the Orioles are cheap and don't spend ENOUGH.   They are cutting corners in many visible ways and that, rightfully, upsets us.

So 90% of the time we are upset that the team doesn't spend enough, but here in the Lyles thread we are upset they spent too much.

It's just really odd.   Alanis Morrisette might go so far as to say it's ironic.

Well, I don’t think the advocates for more spending want to see the team buying mediocre assets for more than market value.   Some might be willing to overpay for a high quality player, but not for a guy who isn’t expected to move the needle much.  

12 minutes ago, SteveA said:

This signing never bothered me even if its an overpay by a few million. Its really the nature of the business when you've lost 100 games 3 out of the last 4 years. The people who said they'd rather have Harvey instead of Lyles are the ones I dont get. Harvey isnt wanted back for a reason.

10 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

This signing never bothered me even if its an overpay by a few million. Its really the nature of the business when you've lost 100 games 3 out of the last 4 years. The people who said they'd rather have Harvey instead of Lyles are the ones I dont get. Harvey isnt wanted back for a reason.

Harvey is likely to be unable to play this year d/t legal problems.  If he was eligible to play, I understand the O's need to get a higher caliber of pitcher.  Whether Lyles is better than Harvey is in question.  I doubt he's $6 million better.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Akin has one pitch.  His fastball.  Everything else gets hit hard.  Lyles is a better pitcher.

Also Akin's 4.73 ERA was at AAA.

Lyles had a 85 ERA+ and -0.1 bWAR and he’s an 11 year vet. Not exactly screaming to be signed as a FA.

Akin has had one full year as a ML starter and has a similar ceiling. His FIP was better than Lyles last year. 

I scanned his BB-ref stats for any glimmer of what the O's see in him besides "innings eater" (Russ Ortiz, anyone?) and note only one season (2019) with a positive ERA+ (106). That's pretty recent, so combined with last Sept. they must see some potential there. Plus, ye olde #1 pick, by Houston (2008) is another tattered feather in his cap.

Honestly I never heard of him before the signing.

9 minutes ago, now said:

I scanned his BB-ref stats for any glimmer of what the O's see in him besides "innings eater" (Russ Ortiz, anyone?) and note only one season (2019) with a positive ERA+ (106). That's pretty recent, so combined with last Sept. they must see some potential there. Plus, ye olde #1 pick, by Houston (2008) is another tattered feather in his cap.

Honestly I never heard of him before the signing.

I guess you did not read my post earlier in this thread.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, I don’t think the advocates for more spending want to see the team buying mediocre assets for more than market value.   Some might be willing to overpay for a high quality player, but not for a guy who isn’t expected to move the needle much.  

If the O's offered Lyles what you think he is worth do you think he would have signed with the Orioles?

24 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I guess you did not read my post earlier in this thread.

You're right, I missed that. Catching up, I appreciate the extra info you reveal there, which explains the optimism.

But still, 5 starts? I hate to make the analogy, but it reminds me of Ubaldo's 5 starts in Sept. 2016: 3-1, 2.31, 0.829 WHIP.

Anyway, sure, I'll play... not my $7 million, as they say. :)