John Means 2022

Il BuonO

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

A few points:

1) I don't expect the O's to rush to put Means on  the 15 day IL.  They don't want to lose him for that long if they don't need to.

2) If the MRI doesn't show damage in the elbow or forearm they will probably rest him for a few days and then test it out by throwing.

3) His turn will not come up until the 19th because of the off day.

4)  They already have 14 other pitchers of the 28 man roster.

5) There are already several pitchers on the O's pitching staff that can fill in the rotation.  Lyles, Zimmerman, T Wells,  Baumann, Watkins, Akin, A Wells. So I don't expect a  call up if they can keep Means from going on the 15 day IL.

6) Elias may not be ready to call up Bradish.

7) Calling up Ellis or anyone else not on the 40 roster requires the O's to DFA someone.   And while it would not be terrible to DFA Bannon, he is doing well at AAA right now and may not pass through waivers.

8  They will need a roster spot for Grayson when he is promoted and Bannon may be the player to go at that time.

Just my thoughts.

Re: #1....Until May 2, the pitcher IL is 10 days.   It returns to being 15 days for pitchers, just like position players, on May 2 when the roster drops to 26.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

Re: #1....Until May 2, the pitcher IL is 10 days.   It returns to being 15 days for pitchers, just like position players, on May 2 when the roster drops to 26.

Thanks for that information.  I could not find it when  I wanted it.

5 hours ago, interloper said:

So after a pretty healthy spring, starting to build a little list of injuries. Most are minor so far, thankfully, though I obviously will be expecting the worst for Means until proven otherwise.  

Means
Diaz 
Adley
Stowers (Has anyone ever missed like 4 games from a freaking bruise? Talk about being overly conservative...)
Kjerstad (Nearly forgot he existed again...) 

Stowers played yesterday so at least that was nothing serious.  

Good news from an MRI could clear Means to throw in a few days, but his next start might be pushed back. The discomfort is believed to be muscular. Means said there’s not “a ton of concern.”

Not really an update. Just some info from Roch's blog this am. 

Placed LHP John Means on the 10-day Injured List (left elbow strain, retroactive to 4/14)

LHP Kevin Smith cleared outright waivers and assigned to Triple-A Norfolk

Selected the contract RHP Travis Lakins from Triple-A Norfolk

looks like Lakins is coming up.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

From Roch

Update: Orioles manager Brandon Hyde told reporters at Camden Yards that Means is getting additional testing and the club doesn't know how long he will be out.

Of course they don't.

They couldn't come up with an accurate assessment of a triceps pull for goodness sake.

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

It’s TJ … we are cursed

We're not there yet, I'm going to let this play out. I will say my hope of trading John Means for a Godfather offer isn't going to happen now.

Elias might trade Means at some point in the future, but I'm not getting my hopes up over the potential return. 

But yeah, not the news we wanted to hear today.