Joey Ortiz 2022

SilverRocket

1 hour ago, deward said:

I think the only question next year is whether or not Mateo can hold off Ortiz at short. Urias shouldn't stand in the way of Gunnar at 3b and 2b is wide open for Westburg

Hard to believe they turn over the entire infield. Best defensive alignment is probably 3B Henderson, SS Mateo, 2B Ortiz.   Urías could be super sub or traded.  Westburg could be super sub.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, joelala said:

Ortiz has almost guaranteed himself at least one or two top 100 placements on prospect lists this winter I think. 

Depends how closely the national pundits are paying attention.  His overall numbers at Bowie are not overwhelming and he was relatively old for that level.  There’s still about 16 AAA games to go, more than the 11 he’s played so far.  If he keeps his AAA OPS over 1.000 the pundits will have to pay some attention.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Depends how closely the national pundits are paying attention.  His overall numbers at Bowie are not overwhelming and he was relatively old for that level.  There’s still about 16 AAA games to go, more than the 11 he’s played so far.  If he keeps his AAA OPS over 1.000 the pundits will have to pay some attention.  

I imagine they’re paying attention now, especially with all the other top 100 guys who they’re  conceivably getting live looks at.

I agree with Tony I think. Ortiz has jumped Westburg for me. 

Having seen both in person a few times each now (Westburg much more), IMO Ortiz has jumped Westburg.  His ABs are very impressive, he’s showing the pop, he’s a tick faster, and the defense is special.  Westburg is a fine player but on D he is prone to the occasional botched routine play & the arm can get a little off at times.  He’s prone to extended cold streaks at the plate.  Pretty fantastic we have both!!!

Yeah, I don't think it has to be Ortiz vs. Westburg.  Both can factor into a future Oriole IF and I could even see Westburg moving to 1B or a corner OF position.    Our infield prospects are outperforming our OF prospects and that is even moreso with the terrible start at AAA for Cowser.   I can definitely see players like Westburg and Norby finding spots on an outfield corner or 1B if they aren't traded.

I love Ortiz but am also a big fan of Westburg.   He has a nice all around game as well and I think he's got a big power bat.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

You have to take the defense into consideration. Westburg's arm strength makes him questionable on the left side of the infield but with shifts getting abolished next year, he should be able to handle 2B. Ortiz is a plus defensive SS and could very well be a gold glove 2B. Ortiz's significant defensive plusses makes him a better overall prospect for me than Westburg, who has also some hit tool questions due to his streakiness. 

You are right, Ortiz does not have a sustained track record, but watching his PAs, it's not like you see him over matched and his ability to drive the ball to all fields is really impressive. 

If you go back to May 28th, he's slashed .314/.371/.530/.901 in 381 PAs with 15 home runs, 22 2Bs and a 32 to 51 BB/K rate. I don't really think he's was healthy until late June but even if you take all of June, he's had a pretty good run for a guy who is an elite defender at SS.

He probably wasn’t even a consideration for a top 200 player coming into the year.

Rightly or wrongly, his path to get to a top 100 guy is a long one and I doubt he appears on the lists.

Not that it matters though.

18 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Hard to believe they turn over the entire infield. Best defensive alignment is probably 3B Henderson, SS Mateo, 2B Ortiz.   Urías could be super sub or traded.  Westburg could be super sub.  

That probably is the best defensive alignment, but the question is whether Mateo's progression with the bat was real or illusory. If they think Mateo's bat is real, then Ortiz and Westburg will have to duke it out in spring training for 2b. I'm not betting on Urias to be on next year's team.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’d be surprised if he landed on any top 100 lists.

Ortiz has basically had like 2-3 great months in the minors.  Mediocre otherwise.

Yes he had the injury but you still need to show more to get on the lists.

Westburg has been a more steady performer.

You may be correct but I think Ortiz might sneak into the high end of the top 100.   These organisations really put some effort into being correct.  And they seemed to follow Gunnar and move him up laser fast this last year.   Should be interesting seeing the end of year write ups on prospects.   

21 hours ago, joelala said:

I imagine they’re paying attention now, especially with all the other top 100 guys who they’re  conceivably getting live looks at.

I agree with Tony I think. Ortiz has jumped Westburg for me. 

I know the Ortiz’s age has been hammered to death. He will be 25 years next year - how many top 100 prospects are that age last 5-10 years? 

Keep in mind, many fans here were complaining Adley was too old at 24 years for not being promoted last year or during the start of year (I know he was injured).

1 hour ago, Chaka Garcia said:

I know the Ortiz’s age has been hammered to death. He will be 25 years next year - how many top 100 prospects are that age last 5-10 years? 

Keep in mind, many fans here were complaining Adley was too old at 24 years for not being promoted last year or during the start of year (I know he was injured).

We've been over this before. He's 24 until next July.  Covid was a thing.  That's one year missed.  Labrum surgery is another thing.  The time he missed last year and not being full strength to begin this year is another year.  To think of him as a typical 24 yo who is just reaching the majors is JUST WAY WRONG!!!