Joey Ortiz 2022

SilverRocket

51 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

We've been over this before. He's 24 until next July.  Covid was a thing.  That's one year missed.  Labrum surgery is another thing.  The time he missed last year and not being full strength to begin this year is another year.  To think of him as a typical 24 yo who is just reaching the majors is JUST WAY WRONG!!!

I don't really care if Ortiz is ever a top 100  prospect.  If he can play then he can play.

Just now, wildcard said:

I don't really care if Ortiz is ever a top 100  prospect.  If he can play then he can play.

I don't care 

7 minutes ago, EASTERNSHOREFAN said:

Is Westburg the second coming of Mountcastle offensively?

A better version, IMO.  Power is similar but Westburg has more patience at the plate.  

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don't care 

A better version, IMO.  Power is similar but Westburg has more patience at the plate.  

I don’t know if I’d say the power is similar, but the plate discipline is definitely better. Mountcastle has big time power, he just chases too much to make good use of it. 

17 minutes ago, EASTERNSHOREFAN said:

There is no camparison being made.  I asked a question based off of other posts in the thread discussing Westburgs streakiness at the plate.

I don't see Westburg as being very streaky.   He was hit by a pitch on his foot on July 26th and that caused him some trouble for a few games but overall he has been pretty consistent.

28 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I don’t know if I’d say the power is similar, but the plate discipline is definitely better. Mountcastle has big time power, he just chases too much to make good use of it. 

Westburg has 23 home runs on the year. He's a big boy with very good power.  

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I don't see Westburg as being very streaky.   He was hit by a pitch on his foot on July 26th and that caused him some trouble for a few games but overall he has been pretty consistent.

26 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Why would you compare the two?

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He had a .561 OPS in July and was up and down in April and May, but overall consistent month to month except for July.  He has had some very cold streaks over the last two years.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Westburg has 23 home runs on the year. He's a big boy with very good power.  

Mountcastle hit 33 in Baltimore last year. At this point, they’re not the same from a power comparison. 

That said, I’m a big fan of Westburg. I think he’s probably the most overlooked player in our minor league system and I see no reason why he isn’t in Baltimore, instead of Aguilar or Vavra. The deal breaker for Westburg will be his position in MLB. There seems to be questions about his arm strength, which might limit him to 2B or 1B. 23 HR is a lot more impressive from a guy who can play SS/3B. 

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He had a .561 OPS in July and was up and down in April and May, but overall consistent month to month except for July.  He has had some very cold streaks over the last two years.

He does seem to take time to adjust to a league, other than Norfolk when he was promoted during a hot streak. This is all the more reason to be getting his feet wet in Baltimore this year. 

8 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Mountcastle hit 33 in Baltimore last year. At this point, they’re not the same from a power comparison. 

That said, I’m a big fan of Westburg. I think he’s probably the most overlooked player in our minor league system and I see no reason why he isn’t in Baltimore, instead of Aguilar or Vavra. The deal breaker for Westburg will be his position in MLB. There seems to be questions about his arm strength, which might limit him to 2B or 1B. 23 HR is a lot more impressive from a guy who can play SS/3B. 

MLB  Pipeline rates his arm 55.  I don't think he arm limits him.  He doesn't have the range to play SS vs  Mateo, Gunnar and Ortiz but he can play 2B/3B.  He is a big guy at 6'3" that could backup 1B.  He has the power to DH.  And I think he has the power, speed and arm to play LF in Camden if given the chance.

Westburg is very valuable and the reason I think he is not with the O's is that he does not have to put on the 40 man this off season to be protected from the Rule 5 draft.

I don’t see Westburg and Mountcastle as similar types of hitters.  Westburg has an 11.7% walk rate.  As a minor leaguer, Mountcastle was at 4.6%.  Mountcastle has the better hit tool and somewhat more power.   Westburg can play competently anywhere in the infield; Mountcastle is an okay 1B.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I disagree. They are very similar from a power perspective.   Mountcaste hit 25 homers and slugged .527 in AAA.   Westburg has 14 homers and a .497 SLG in little more than half a AAA season.   Mountcastle hit for a higher avg which factors into slugging. Westburg takes more walks which affects OBP.  Westburg AAA OPS .850.  Mountcastle AAA OPS .871