Joey Ortiz 2022

SilverRocket

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

We've been over this before. He's 24 until next July.  Covid was a thing.  That's one year missed.  Labrum surgery is another thing.  The time he missed last year and not being full strength to begin this year is another year.  To think of him as a typical 24 yo who is just reaching the majors is JUST WAY WRONG!!!

Respect!

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I don't see Westburg as being very streaky.   He was hit by a pitch on his foot on July 26th and that caused him some trouble for a few games but overall he has been pretty consistent.

Westburg has had consistent long streaks of struggling followed by streaks of being red hot since he's hit Bowie last year. He's literally been the definition of streaky. But this is Ortiz's thread.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I disagree. They are very similar from a power perspective.   Mountcaste hit 25 homers and slugged .527 in AAA.   Westburg has 14 homers and a .497 SLG in little more than half a AAA season.   Mountcastle hit for a higher avg which factors into slugging. Westburg takes more walks which affects OBP.  Westburg AAA OPS .850.  Mountcastle AAA OPS .871

Westburg also is a year older than Mountcastle was at Norfolk.   

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Westburg also is a year older than Mountcastle was at Norfolk.   

Yes, but Mountacastle as a HS draftee had about 2 times the pro AB’s and experience. I’m just saying I think Westburg is capable of 25-30 homers just as well as Mountcastle is.   Westburg is a big guy who can give it a ride too.

RE Ortiz making top 100 lists, I think he will get consideration.  I imagine he'll make Keith Law's list for sure.  Additionally all of @RZNJ points regarding Ortiz, from the age, draft status, etc.  also can apply to another rookie that just made the leap and has had success at the MLB level, Jeremy Pena.

Pena was always a plus glove plus speed prospect with room to grow into average power.  Pena also came from a mid major college, similar draft spot to Ortiz, and debuted in the MLB at the age of 24.  Only difference is Pena never showed the discipline or plate skills that Ortiz has demonstrated the last 3 months.

AND Pena was 24th on Fangraphs list, 72nd at BA, and 16th at Baseball Prospectus.  I think people always thought that Pena would grow into more power once he grew up, but Ortiz is now combining plate skills, that Pena never had with power numbers, that Pena only demonstrated in the band box at Sugar Land.

No knocks on Pena, but Pena and Ortiz's trajectories feel so similar that if prospect aggregators processes are consistent Ortiz should climb in a similar manner than Pena.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

This could be 3 months consecutive with an OPS over 1.000.   His plate discipline numbers at AAA are very solid.  It’s amazing there isn’t more excitement for what he’s doing and anticipation for what he offers the 2023 Orioles.   Rutschman didn’t do this. Henderson didn’t do this.  Ortiz last 2 1/2 months are off the charts and in addition he’s reportedly a premium defensive middle IF.   This is his first full season in the minors.  How can so few posters be excited about this guy?

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

This could be 3 months consecutive with an OPS over 1.000.   His plate discipline numbers at AAA are very solid.  It’s amazing there isn’t more excitement for what he’s doing and anticipation for what he offers the 2023 Orioles.   Rutschman didn’t do this. Henderson didn’t do this.  Ortiz last 2 1/2 months are off the charts and in addition he’s reportedly a premium defensive middle IF.   This is his first full season in the minors.  How can so few posters be excited about this guy?

Who says we’re not excited?   You’re simply sucking all the oxygen out of the room!  (J/K)

My only real reservation comes from Ortiz’s first half performance   While the easy explanation is that he was still dealing with the effects of his shoulder surgery, that doesn’t really explain how he managed a .749 OPS in May, yet slipped to .526 in June.  So, I’ve been waiting to see if Ortiz would hit another ice-cold streak that would temper our enthusiasm for what he did in July.  August came and it didn’t happen; in fact, he doubled down on his hot streak.  Now we’re halfway through September and the time he will get in AAA this year and he’s shown no sign of slowing down.  So, I’m less and less concerned about June, though I still don’t understand what happened there.

Both Henderson and Westburg started very hot in Norfolk and then cooled off after about two weeks, so again I’m sort of watching what happens with Ortiz.  So far, so good.  It’s almost a shame his season has to end, considering the roll he’s been on.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Who says we’re not excited?   You’re simply sucking all the oxygen out of the room!  (J/K)

My only real reservation comes from Ortiz’s first half performance   While the easy explanation is that he was still dealing with the effects of his shoulder surgery, that doesn’t really explain how he managed a .749 OPS in May, yet slipped to .526 in June.  So, I’ve been waiting to see if Ortiz would hit another ice-cold streak that would temper our enthusiasm for what he did in July.  August came and it didn’t happen; in fact, he doubled down on his hot streak.  Now we’re halfway through September and the time he will get in AAA this year and he’s shown no sign of slowing down.  So, I’m less and less concerned about June, though I still don’t understand what happened there.

Both Henderson and Westburg started very hot in Norfolk and then cooled off after about two weeks, so again I’m sort of watching what happens with Ortiz.  So far, so good.  It’s almost a shame his season has to end, considering the roll he’s been on.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So, we’re waiting on his 3rd consecutive 1.000 month because his OPS was .749 in May?   Early in the year Ortiz was trying to pull everything.  Bad habits because of the shoulder?  No idea.  This isn’t a Westurg AAA start where his walk:strikeout ratio couldn’t sustain that streak.  This isn’t Cowser with contact issues.   Statistically, it’s all there.   He’s consistently hitting to RF but can pull for power too.  Probably the best contact rate of any top 20 prospect. 

He should be penciled in as a starter at 2B or SS for OD 2023.  I don’t see a majority of people clamoring for that.

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I honestly think he could step into the Orioles starting lineup at SS right now and be better than Jorge Mateo. Hoping Elias trades Mateo this offseason and gives Ortiz and Westburg opportunities to make the team out of spring training. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

So, we’re waiting on his 3rd consecutive 1.000 month because his OPS was .749 in May?   Early in the year Ortiz was trying to pull everything.  Bad habits because of the shoulder?  No idea.  This isn’t a Westurg AAA start where his walk:strikeout ratio couldn’t sustain that streak.  This isn’t Cowser with contact issues.   Statistically, it’s all there.   He’s consistently hitting to RF but can pull for power too.  Probably the best contact rate of any top 20 prospect. 

He should be penciled in as a starter at 2B or SS for OD 2023.  I don’t see a majority of people clamoring for that.

You won’t see me clamoring for anyone who’s only spent a month in AAA to be jumped to the majors.  That’s not to say I’m against it, just that it doesn’t bother me if Elias wants to see performance there a little longer.  

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You won’t see me clamoring for anyone who’s only spent a month in AAA to be jumped to the majors.  That’s not to say I’m against it, just that it doesn’t bother me if Elias wants to see performance there a little longer.  

I can see both sides to it.  RZ has made Ortiz his newest pet project but surprisingly he makes very good points about why he should be viewed higher.

OTOH, it’s a SSS of success and part of that was in AA at an older age and AAA has been a very SSS.

If the glove is real, my guess is that he could come up and be similar to Mateo right now and have a higher ceiling.

SS is a fascinating position for the Os in 2023.  I suspect what they decide to do with Gunnar is what this is going to revolve around.

On 9/10/2022 at 9:36 AM, Sports Guy said:

I’d be surprised if he landed on any top 100 lists.

Ortiz has basically had like 2-3 great months in the minors.  Mediocre otherwise.

Yes he had the injury but you still need to show more to get on the lists.

Westburg has been a more steady performer.

He will be on Law’s list. He loves him