Today is the deadline to exchange arbitration numbers

Frobby

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Meh, you’re making too big a deal of it IMO.    Mancini is asking for more than either MLBTR or Cot’s estimated for him.  The O’s are basically at the midpoint of the two estimates.   Means’ number is the same as MLBTR’s estimate, $300 k above Cots.   The O’s are $100 k below Cot’s.   I think it’s likely both settle, but I don’t think either side looks bad if they don’t.   

I know you feel the need to defend the organization every step of the way and like I said, I’m not even saying they are wrong here.

But the optics are terrible.  You can choose to ignore all the signs and how cheap they are but you ignoring it doesn’t make it less true. 

If there is one thing they have earned, is not getting the benefit of the doubt even if they are correct.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I know you feel the need to defend the organization every step of the way and like I said, I’m not even saying they are wrong here.

But the optics are terrible.  You can choose to ignore all the signs and how cheap they are but you ignoring it doesn’t make it less true. 

If there is one thing they have earned, is not getting the benefit of the doubt even if they are correct.

No, I don’t feel the need to defend the organization every step of the way.   There’s many cheap things the Orioles do that I don’t like.   But I don’t think refusing to pay a player more than they think he’s likely to get in arbitration is one of those things.   

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure seems like he does to me or, at the very least tends to give them the benefit of the doubt.  

I do give them the benefit of the doubt.  That’s my nature in most things, not just as an Orioles fan.   

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The optics would be bad for another team but honestly this doesn't hurt the O's reputation since it's already at such a low level.  This would be like if Chris Brown got caught on video saying something mean to his girlfriend.  Yea it's bad but what do you expect?

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I know you feel the need to bash the organization every step of the way, and I'm not even saying they are right here.

But the bids are fine. You can choose to ignore all of the other examples and predictions that Frobby's posted but you ignoring them doesn't make it less true.

If there's one thing about arbitration, it's not to get too worked up when the two sides don't agree in advance.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I know you feel the need to bash the organization every step of the way, and I'm not even saying they are right here.

But the bids are fine. You can choose to ignore all of the other examples and predictions that Frobby's posted but you ignoring them doesn't make it less true.

If there's one thing about arbitration, it's not to get too worked up when the two sides don't agree in advance.

Yep.  I sure do and I’m not hiding from it.  They deserve every piece of bad PR they get until they show themselves to give a damn about the product, the fans and the players on the field.

And I already said that I’m not even saying they are wrong here.  But right or wrong doesn’t matter with this organization right now.  Every tiny bit of info that is even remotely bad or viewed as cheap looks terrible for them. 

They are getting crushed on social media for this.  And most people don’t get it or understand the process. However, everyone understands how terrible they have been and how they don’t care.  They understand how cheap they have been.  It looks bad.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But right or wrong doesn’t matter with this organization right now.  

Well, this is just wrong. You're opinions are generally more credible when you can differentiate between the two. 

I'm on board about the pace of the rebuild and think the MASN stuff is just shameful, but the arbitration processes are perfectly normal.

So can we move on to more important things, like who do we get with a top 6 pick in the 2023 draft?

• Upvote 1

Just now, LookinUp said:

Well, this is just wrong. You're opinions are generally more credible when you can differentiate between the two. 

I'm on board about the pace of the rebuild and think the MASN stuff is just shameful, but the arbitration processes are perfectly normal.

So can we move on to more important things, like who do we get with a top 6 pick in the 2023 draft?

I can differentiate between the 2 but im not foolish enough to think right and wrong are the only things in play here.  I understand how a business is run and what the importance of things are throughout an organization.

The Orioles reputation is awful and deservedly so.  It’s a pathetic organization being run as cheaply as possible right now.  So, everything looks bad when you are trying to cut any costs.  

When your fans see you trying to lose on purpose for 4 straight seasons and you having the lowest or one of the lowest payrolls in baseball, it looks bad when you are trying to save a few hundred K, especially when it’s your best pitcher and fan favorite.  

Nothing about this “looks good”.  You can be right and still look bad.  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Nothing about this “looks good”.  You can be right and still look bad.  

I can agree with that.   But I don’t think that’s a good reason to change course, at least most of the time.   I’d rather have them focus on changing the things that look bad because they are bad.  And honestly I don’t think this looks that bad, especially at this point when there hasn’t been a hearing.   

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I can agree with that.   But I don’t think that’s a good reason to change course, at least most of the time.   I’d rather have them focus on changing the things that look bad because they are bad.  And honestly I don’t think this looks that bad, especially at this point when there hasn’t been a hearing.   

Im not saying they should change course here.  I’m saying it looks bad and if you read social media pages and stuff, they are getting hammered by a lot of people.  Again, many of those people don’t understand the process but that doesn’t matter. 

Perception matters and the Orioles perception is horrible right now..and rightfully so.

I agree with Frobby.   Its a good bet that they settle before the hearings.

And as far as bad PR.  Very few fans care about this.  And with 38 players exchanging numbers the O's are in good company.  It nothing out of the normal across the MLB.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The end of this sentence makes it seem more like you are being critical every step of the way (sometimes irrationally so) vs. Frobby defending the org. every step of the way