Adley Rutschman 2022

Just Regular

He’s not getting called up anytime soon. Not with BenBOOM cranking balls out of the yard. We are set at catcher. Clearly. 

That was sarcasm btw. 😁

It is frustrating to see how aggressively other orgs promote their top prospects. Pittsburgh promoted 2021 #1 overall pick and their top prospect, catcher Henry Davis to AA the other day. He promptly rewarded them with a HR in his first game. 

Some guys can handle the fast path. Gunnar, for example.  You’d think Adley would be someone who could as well given his pedigree, makeup, track record and on field performance in the Os system. Granted 2020 was largely a lost year, t’s quite ridiculous he’s not in Baltimore. 

The promotion routines are done from a scarcity mindset. When you don’t have a ton of players in the pipeline, you slow roll until all the players can play together at the bigs as many years as possible. When you have a never ending stream of prospects flowing through your system, this isn’t a thing. Now I’m not saying what they are doing is right, but this is the mindset imo. It will be interesting when (if) we have that steady stream of prospects if the mentality will change.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

The promotion routines are done from a scarcity mindset. When you don’t have a ton of players in the pipeline, you slow roll until all the players can play together at the bigs as many years as possible. When you have a never ending stream of prospects flowing through your system, this isn’t a thing. Now I’m not saying what they are doing is right, but this is the mindset imo. It will be interesting when (if) we have that steady stream of prospects if the mentality will change.

If only they let teams offer the players money to keep playing for them after the years of team control are over.

Well maybe in the next CBA...

3 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

The strawman arguments are a bit ridiculous.  If you honestly believe he needed more than a season in the minors to be ready, I don't know what to tell you.  

They don't.

They are just trying to justify what they know is an unfair practice.

Just like when they mention his signing bonus as if that has any relevance.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, El_Duderino said:

I happened to see the homer. He also appeared to just get under it, it was a high inside fastball. Awkward swing on it, and it just carried.

That was an awkward swing. Off the bat it looked like it should be an easy fly out to right field. 

21 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

The strawman arguments are a bit ridiculous.  If you honestly believe he needed more than a season in the minors to be ready, I don't know what to tell you.  

Its because they have bought into this concept that you have to suck for 4-5 years before you can start attempting to be good and if that is the plan, you just keep your better players in the minors.

Its a joke that Adley is as old as he is and as good as he is and still doesn't have a ML at bat.  Lost season or not, he should have, at least, a few hundred at bats under his belt by now.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

That was an awkward swing. Off the bat it looked like it should be an easy fly out to right field. 

Wind-aided I bet.   At the beginning of the broadcast, the announcer was describing how Harbor Park right on the river and air moving left to right pretty good yesterday afternoon.

Anyhow, it might be Ben is just an excited fan like many of us here and was just blending being a good company man and trying to speak things into reality earlier this week.    If the actions are going to happen for the Yankees with any marketing build time at all, next 24 hours are it.

At least if he's on the bus another week, Norfolk to Charlotte is just 5 hours this time.

1 hour ago, CarrRun49 said:

He's only had a season in the minors though. His first summer was mostly lost to mono, second year no minors, last year he had a full year in the minors. Whether or not they're blowing smoke, the Orioles have publicly said he was in contention for the major league roster in ST...and then the arm injury happened. 

Adley could clearly have come up at some point last year, but it's not like he's had many years in the minors, and I don't think it was unreasonable for him to start last year in the minors, and progress through Triple-A. 

9 minutes ago, seak05 said:

He's only had a season in the minors though. His first summer was mostly lost to mono, second year no minors, last year he had a full year in the minors. Whether or not they're blowing smoke, the Orioles have publicly said he was in contention for the major league roster in ST...and then the arm injury happened. 

Adley could clearly have come up at some point last year, but it's not like he's had many years in the minors, and I don't think it was unreasonable for him to start last year in the minors, and progress through Triple-A. 

Just stop already.  He turns 25 in 8 months.  Was said to be the most polished player to be drafted since Harper. Nonetheless, we're talking about a player with multiple years at a top tier collegiate level.  If he was drafted by a team in the hunt in 2019, I have little doubt he would have debuted the same year.  If you enjoy your top talent rotting away in the minors with nothing left to prove, then just say so.  Witt was a 5 tool high schooler, drafted 2 overall, and made his debut at 20.  Our savior is sitting in AAA at 24 years old yet to make his debut.

Edited by CarrRun49
sp*
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

Just stop already.  He turns 25 in 8 months.  Was said to be the most polished player to be drafter since Harper. Nonetheless, we're talking about a player with multiple years at a top tier collegiate level.  If he was drafted by a team in the hunt in 2019, I have little doubt he would have debuted the same year.  If you enjoy your top talent rotting away in the minors with nothing left to prove, then just say so.  Witt was a 5 tool high schooler, drafted 2 overall, and made his debut at 20.  Our savior is sitting in AAA at 24 years old yet to make his debut.

The number of prospects who have debuted in the majors in the year that they were drafted om the last 30+ years is exceedingly small, and nearly all of them were relievers. If this is your expectation of how things work, I think you need to re-examine your base assumptions. 

Just now, seak05 said:

The number of prospects who have debuted in the majors in the year that they were drafted om the last 30+ years is exceedingly small, and nearly all of them were relievers. If this is your expectation of how things work, I think you need to re-examine your base assumptions. 

And you need to re-examine your timeframe for the #1 prospect in baseball to debut.

Just now, seak05 said:

Maybe we can just keep him in the minors for 3 more years so we can continue to have the #1 farm in baseball?

4 hours ago, CarrRun49 said:

Maybe we can just keep him in the minors for 3 more years so we can continue to have the #1 farm in baseball?

If you can’t comprehend that there are options between 1 month and 5 years, then I really don’t know what to tell you