Tanner Scott and Cole Sulser traded to Marlins

MurphDogg

This feels to me like one of those trades that you look back on in a few years and wonder why we bothered, except for the pick. I do really like having an extra pick to work with. But I think it’s a good deal because it solves some problems with continuing to get guys like Baumann, Lowther, A.Wells, Akin, and Kremer innings….out of the pen. Zimmerman is in a slightly more secure situation as a starter. Their opportunities in the rotation will start drying up soon with the arrival of Rodriguez, Hall, and Bradish. If 2022 had a theme, it’s that it’s our audition year. Giving these lesser regarded young pitchers more opportunity to find success is a net positive in the long term and a clear negative in the short term. Since this group don’t have the overpowering stuff of the coming group, they need more innings to assess if they can become productive at the ML level. I’m sensitive to not writing off some of these guys. As much as I want to start winning, Scott/Sulser don’t move the needle much. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Trade was fine for the Orioles long term. But, it another sign of their intent to finish dead last again.

Disagree. It's a sign that they're not over-valuing near term replacement level guys and want to give internal guys those innings.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Sulser will be missed in the short term as he was solid last year. I think Felix Bautista can step right into Scott's role as a reliever with great stuff and inconsistent results, and hopefully will be a more effective pitcher in a year or two.

I don't doubt Sulser can be replaced, same with Scott. The question is whether there's a significant trickle down effect. There will likely be some, but I'm not sure it's that meaningful.

44 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

This feels to me like one of those trades that you look back on in a few years and wonder why we bothered, except for the pick.

I tend to agree with the full post, but particularly this. I'm fine with the trade, but it's not a great sign that Elias said the "salient" part was the pick. I guess that means they don't think too much of the AA pitcher or the international kid. Hopefully that changes.

6 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I tend to agree with the full post, but particularly this. I'm fine with the trade, but it's not a great sign that Elias said the "salient" part was the pick. I guess that means they don't think too much of the AA pitcher or the international kid. Hopefully that changes.

I think it means that Elias is confident the player they pick will be better than anyone in the trade, for sure. Especially at that high of a pick. And drafting has been a strength so far, I think, although we can't judge his drafts completely just yet. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think it means that Elias is confident the player they pick will be better than anyone in the trade, for sure. Especially at that high of a pick. And drafting has been a strength so far, I think, although we can't judge his drafts completely just yet. 

Maybe. I think there's more re: roster flexibility, future value over present value, giving other guys innings, probably saving a few bucks etc. that went into it too.

41 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So far I don't like it.  

For me Scott for  the equal to Reed Trimble  that arrives in the majors in 2026 is not a good trade.  Scott had already turned the corner IMO.  He was part of the O's next winning team  as he had  put up a 2.24 ERA in 56 IP in 2020 and the first half of 2021 before he sprained his knee on August first.

So in your opinion his awful second half was knee related? Then why did he have a 17.18 ERA in his previous 6 appearances in July? Small sample size for sure, but it shows he was bad before August 1st.

I think Scott is an ok reliever and good guy to bring in with certain batters at the plate and in the right situation, but there never was a time I thought he should be the closer because of inconsistencies.

Watching Perez in a few outings this spring, his stuff looks pretty similar and Scott has struggled this spring outside of his last game. I think there's a chance Perez could out perform Scott but honestly, I think they are pretty similar but Perez is a year younger. 

I just think Scott is never going to be consistent enough to be counted on in big moments so I think he's replaceable. 

• Upvote 2

I mean... we gave up 2 relievers who are not late inning guys on good teams.  That's not much.  Sulser was real good last year, but he's 32 with an ordinary history.  We get a just turned 25 year old lefty who's over-aged, but he was over-aged coming out of college.  He's been lights out in the minors up to AA.  His WHIP was .859 last year.  And we get basically a high 3rd rounder and a PTNL and a long shot 17 year old athletic OFer.  If they think they can get someone they really want with that pick, it's a good trade imo.         

17 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The deal didn't save any money. It cost the Orioles money because the Orioles acquired a comp round B draft pick with a slot value of around $1 million, and the Orioles have never left more than $100,000 or so in draft slot value unspent. Meanwhile the difference in Scott's salary and the minimum salary that his replacement will make is $305,000.

Don't stop Buster Olney from screaming the MLBPA's talking points though. True journalists are a dying breed. To watch a guy who reports for a national entity embarrass himself like that tells us everything you need to know about the cucks who still work for them.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

So in your opinion his awful second half was knee related? Then why did he have a 17.18 ERA in his previous 6 appearances in July? Small sample size for sure, but it shows he was bad before August 1st.

I think Scott is an ok reliever and good guy to bring in with certain batters at the plate and in the right situation, but there never was a time I thought he should be the closer because of inconsistencies.

Watching Perez in a few outings this spring, his stuff looks pretty similar and Scott has struggled this spring outside of his last game. I think there's a chance Perez could out perform Scott but honestly, I think they are pretty similar but Perez is a year younger. 

I just think Scott is never going to be consistent enough to be counted on in big moments so I think he's replaceable. 

I guess the question is when did the knee start giving him trouble.  He wasn't placed on the IL until August but Hyde said at that time:

“It’s been going on and off a little bit for the last week to two weeks,” Hyde said of Scott’s knee.

I posted the link earlier in this thread.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I don’t know how he could be confident of that.   No. 67 picks aren’t exactly sure things.  24 of 58 have made it to the majors, only 9 of whom were worth 1+ rWAR.   But obviously the pick is valuable, and provides extra flexibility in how we allocate our bonus pool.   

3 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

If 2022 had a theme, it’s that it’s our audition year.

If Scott Boras needs a practice game before taking Juan Soto and Carlos Correa to Dodgers Stadium for the postseason, Mike Elias should invite him to come watch the September Orioles play.   Boras can remind Elias to tender the offer to him, only him Scott Boras, and not Correa's old agent.

Jordan Westburg at 3B, Gunnar Henderson (okay, Cesar Prieto) at 2B.    I would like to sign a 1-day contract to play SS that day so I can "retire as an Oriole".