So Odor makes it - how will he be used?

interloper

My hope would be a variation of #2. Odor's role is to play when doing so helps the development of young players, i.e. when they physically or mentally need rest, protect them from having to face tough RHP's, etc.

I am guessing it will end up somewhere between 1 and 2 where he starts most of the time vs RHP, bumping Gutierrez to the bench and sliding Urias to 3B. The upside of this is if he hits he could get traded for something in return. (The Yankees were desperate enough to trade for him last year). Of course, I think DFA is way more likely but apparently Elias thinks it's worth a shot. 

All this talk about how Odor could be gone at any time due to waiver claims, roster reduction, etc., seems to be based on the premise that he is the last guy that made the team and most vulnerable.

Since the majority opinion around here was that we didn't want him in the first place, it's easy for us to think that way.   But that could just be wishful thinking on our part.   It seems obvious that Elias & company like him more than we do.    So all this rationalization about, OK, he's on the roster, but maybe not for long, or maybe he won't play much, reeks of desparation. 

This entire thread feels like the well known five stages of grief.   Denial (yeah, he's on the roster but maybe only until a waiver claim in the next 24 hours).  Anger (how can they put him on the roster over Richie Martin after the springs the two players had!).   Bargaining (OK, he's on the roster, but maybe that's OK if he only only starts a couple games a week).   Depression (lots of that around here).

Unfortunately, we all may have to move on to the 5th stage of grief ...  acceptance.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

All this talk about how Odor could be gone at any time due to waiver claims, roster reduction, etc., seems to be based on the premise that he is the last guy that made the team and most vulnerable.

Since the majority opinion around here was that we didn't want him in the first place, it's easy for us to think that way.   But that could just be wishful thinking on our part.   It seems obvious that Elias & company like him more than we do.    So all this rationalization about, OK, he's on the roster, but maybe not for long, or maybe he won't play much, reeks of desparation. 

This entire thread feels like the well known five stages of grief.   Denial (yeah, he's on the roster but maybe only until a waiver claim in the next 24 hours).  Anger (how can they put him on the roster over Richie Martin after the springs the two players had!).   Bargaining (OK, he's on the roster, but maybe that's OK if he only only starts a couple games a week).   Depression (lots of that around here).

Unfortunately, we all may have to move on to the 5th stage of grief ...  acceptance.

It just seems to me that the team with the number 1 waiver priority is fairly likely to make a waiver claim or two as all of the better teams set their rosters.

I don't have particular dislike for Odor, he just has the least flexibility of anyone on the roster since he is seemingly only comfortable at second base, he seems to be behind Urias and Mateo on the depth chart at second (with the other playing short) and teams typically don't carry backup second basemen. That said, because Urias and Mateo can both play shortstop and third (backing up Gutierrez) it isn't necessary for Odor to play elsewhere, but he isn't a pinch-hitter, pinch-runner or defensive upgrade so it will be hard for him to get playing time which is why I think he is the most vulnerable.

Of course it also depends on who the waiver claim is. There may well be a player that is similar to DJ Stewart but ten percent better who gets waived, in which case I would expect Stewart to be at risk of losing his spot.

• Upvote 1

Roch’s article hinted at Urias at SS and Odor at second.

For a team that claims to care about analytics, it’s mind boggling that they are handling a starting spot to a terrible player like Odor.  He has been awful for years and looked terrible in ST.  Why should he be handed anything?

22 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Lol honestly, good post. Nailed it. 

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I feel bad for him too but I think Richie will get his day in the sun once again this summer.  Not too worried about him.  

If he continues to hit decently in AAA following his good spring, he will probably get a chance.   

I agree it will be interesting to see how Odor gets used.   

Amazing how much a good spring will get people excited over a player. Let me see Martin put up numbers everyday at AAA before we start anointing him a "prospect" once again.

As for Odor, he was awful this spring, but he's a left-handed bat in a lineup that is very right-handed heavy. I don't love him taking away PAs from Mateo though but maybe the Orioles will find a way to rotate Gutierrez, Urias, Ordor and Mateo to get them all basically everyday PAs.

He did go for 2-for-3 in his last ST game! lol

That's a one game multi-hit streak according to Jim Hunter.

3 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Pretty sure that we've already named Odor designated face puncher on the off chance that José Bautista shows up at one of our games for some reason this year.

He can be the pinch hitter, get it?

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Amazing how much a good spring will get people excited over a player. Let me see Martin put up numbers everyday at AAA before we start anointing him a "prospect" once again.

As for Odor, he was awful this spring, but he's a left-handed bat in a lineup that is very right-handed heavy. I don't love him taking away PAs from Mateo though but maybe the Orioles will find a way to rotate Gutierrez, Urias, Ordor and Mateo to get them all basically everyday PAs.

He did go for 2-for-3 in his last ST game! lol

That's a one game multi-hit streak according to Jim Hunter.

I'm not saying Martin is a prospect as much as he is just a guy who is more useful than Odor. If Odor is going to hit .175, Martin can also do that while being able to play more positions, run faster, maybe put down a bunt, etc. But hopefully Odor runs into a couple dingers in between the strikeouts and plays good defense at one position - that's about all he's capable of.