Interesting Cuts?

Bahama O's Fan

On 4/23/2022 at 9:56 PM, wildcard said:

Its one thing to be able to hit.  Its another to be able to field at 3B.   I don't think Nevin would be able to stay at 3B for the O's very long.   Nevin waits at AAA until he is an asset to the O's in the majors. IMO

Have you actually watched him play 3B? You might want to take a look at him this year. He has apparently improved significantly over there. Tim DeJon and Matt Blood both lauded his improved defense over the past year. Not saying it’s a gold glove, but solid.

I’m not a Bannon guy, but good for him to have improved. I don’t like the softball swing he’s using right now, and I don’t think it works in MLB. He’s a 4A guy for me.

Gutierrez’ hands are back to being in a high set at load. That kills him, honestly. When he lowered them in 2021, he made great progress. That was what I had hoped to see more of. He has raw power, as evidenced by the long home runs he hit in 2021. Right now, he hits the ball hard, but on the ground. And he gets around the ball, instead of staying inside it. Too bad, because he is special defensively. 

37 minutes ago, interloper said:

Bannon has 6 errors and Nevin has had some great plays at 3B. Just sayin'. 

Not to mention Nevin now has an OPS over 1000 at Norfolk. Bannon is .906. If Nevins defense has improved at 3B to where he can be average to me thats an intriguing prospect. Bannon is 5'8 or whatever and limited defensively. 

21 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Not to mention Nevin now has an OPS over 1000 at Norfolk. Bannon is .906. If Nevins defense has improved at 3B to where he can be average to me thats an intriguing prospect. Bannon is 5'8 or whatever and limited defensively. 

If he can maintain the solid OPS (obviously not necessarily over 1.000). We have 63 PA at a 1.026 this year versus 453 PA last year at a .696. Perhaps the work over the winter helped his offense as well as the defense, but I'm not sure I consider him an intriguing prospect just yet. Still, given the lack of much of anything we have right now, I'm certainly in favor of giving him 3B in Baltimore for a bit and seeing what happens. What's the worst that can happen? He hits to a sub-.500 OPS like Odor, Urias, Owings, and Gutierrez? The defense is the only question. If it's really bad, that could impact the progress of the pitchers, but lets see it at the big league level. If it's that bad, then he gets demoted quickly, but unless the praise from Blood and company is hype and lip service, it sounds like he can at least be serviceable in the field. 

6 hours ago, ChuckS said:

There is an unreasonable obsession with Tyler Nevin on this board. He couldn't crack a .700 OPS last year as a 24 year old in Norfolk. 

Lot of calls to bring him up as if he's going to be a big difference maker.  He's the fringiest of fringe prospects.  I'm not a big believer in Rylan Bannon but I rather give him a look than Nevin.   Other than last year, Bannon has a good minor league track record and he's more of a natural infielder than Nevin and performing just as well as him at the plate so far in 2022. 

Don’t care about Nevin and I didn’t mention him. This guy offers nothing in potential and nothing we don’t already have. If you can’t hit in the minors you won’t hit on the majors, hence why he’s available. Big time pass!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do this year's standings replace last year's at some point, or are we still first?

I saw a graphic last week about the new CBA failing at increasing competition because SIX teams were on 100-loss paces, and who knows what kind of parlay odds you could have gotten this spring that 4th of July weekend there would be that many and BAL not one of them.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Do this year's standings replace last year's at some point, or are we still first?

I saw a graphic last week about the new CBA failing at increasing competition because SIX teams were on 100-loss paces, and who knows what kind of parlay odds you could have gotten this spring that 4th of July weekend there would be that many and BAL not one of them.

Last year’s standings only control waiver priority for the first month of the season.   After that, it’s the current standings.