Matt Harvey close to minor league deal. (Update: signed)

MurphDogg

47 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sure, my objection in the first place was that it was stupid to bring him back.  Like, we could have had Johnny Cueto instead.  

But he's waiting in the wings, so whatever.  I'm not going to root against him.

Do you still think it was "stupid?"

I originally didn't like the signing because I figured it meant he was going to pitch in the Majors at some point in the season and I was hopefully we would have better options. Given Zimmermann, Lowther, and Baumann's struggles. Injuries to Bradish (along with his struggles) and Grayson. The fact Hall isn't quite ready yet. As well as injuries to Means and Ellis...amongst other set backs, we are in a position where we have Austin Voth and Spencer Watkins in the rotation. While both looked good in their recent starts, I have little expectations of that continuing. And while I don't really know that Harvey can do any better, if we see Lyles traded or have another starter go down for some reason, we're left with the likes of Denyi Reyes or another bullpen game on a good, but already a bit overworked pen. 

As it turns out, there is nobody that he's going to start over that I feel strongly about him taking starts away from. In the end, I don't think he necessarily gives us a better chance to win than Voth or Reyes, but I also don't know that when we're at that level of player if it really matters. 

• Upvote 2

Zimmerman had a nice start in AAA yesterday. I think he was just a little burnt out. As for Harvey, I think he has something to offer the team. Especially in an 80 pitch role similar to how we’ve guided Voth and Watkins through starts recently. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

I originally didn't like the signing because I figured it meant he was going to pitch in the Majors at some point in the season and I was hopefully we would have better options. Given Zimmermann, Lowther, and Baumann's struggles. Injuries to Bradish (along with his struggles) and Grayson. The fact Hall isn't quite ready yet. As well as injuries to Means and Ellis...amongst other set backs, we are in a position where we have Austin Voth and Spencer Watkins in the rotation. While both looked good in their recent starts, I have little expectations of that continuing. And while I don't really know that Harvey can do any better, if we see Lyles traded or have another starter go down for some reason, we're left with the likes of Denyi Reyes or another bullpen game on a good, but already a bit overworked pen. 

As it turns out, there is nobody that he's going to start over that I feel strongly about him taking starts away from. In the end, I don't think he necessarily gives us a better chance to win than Voth or Reyes, but I also don't know that when we're at that level of player if it really matters. 

Exactly. I think eventually you have Harvey up and Voth is an innings eater out of the bullpen. Nothing about Voth's track record says he's going to be able to keep this up. 

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

This pretty much mirrors my thoughts on the situation.

But here we are at the end of June and the guys we wanted to see get chance have mostly failed or gotten hurt. Lowther imploded and now is down in Sarasota on the Developmental list trying to figure himself out. Alex Wells got hurt. Bradish was mostly disappointing and then got hurt. Zimmermann's command left him and now he's in AAA. Rodriguez is out with an injury and Hall does not look like a guy on the cusp of helping the team in a starting pitching role.

Akin has been converted to a bulk reliever and is thriving in the role, and Kremer is the only guy who actually has come through.

So when I look at the current options for the rotation, they include Spenser Watkins and Austin Voth (who actually has a really good curveball) you have to consider giving Harvey a look now. Do I think he will be very good? No, not really, but he's got a fresh arm and may be the best current option to help out the rotation.

13 hours ago, Pickles said:

I think that's a strange hill to die on considering present circumstances.  

First of all, there's no hill and I'm not dying.  

Second, yeah, it was a stupid move.  He's just not a good pitcher.  He's serviceable but you can find a lot of guys that can replace that production without the drama of what just happened to him.  I mean, Cueto would have been a much better option if Elias felt the need to bring in a veteran guy on a minor league deal who might have some gas in the tank and could be called upon in an emergency.  If you disagree with that, well, I can't help you.

I agree with @jamalshwand @Tony-OH, it sucks that some of the guys we were counting on have been injured or crapped the bed and yeah, there might be a need for Harvey in the very near future.  I don't deny that and understand the need for a guy like Harvey.

A guy like Harvey being the key part of the sentence there.  I'd have much preferred Cueto because 1.  He's a better pitcher.  2.  He doesn't have a known history of cocaine use.  3.  He hasn't recently served a suspension for distributing oxycodone.

I'll be the first guy to admit that I don't need to have saints playing for my baseball team.  But the talent has to outweigh any headaches, drama, suspensions, dirty laundry, etc.

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

Don't be square, Moose. 

Hey, one of my favorite players of all time is Lenny Dykstra.  He's a total scumbag and he embraces it.  And in his (short) prime, he was pretty damn good, too.  I also adore Pete Rose.  

But those guys had game.  Harvey no longer does.