Matt Harvey close to minor league deal. (Update: signed)

MurphDogg

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Harvey didn’t hold a gun to Skaggs’ head and make him take pills. 

No he provided him drugs ….maybe even sold them to him. Drug distribution/dealing is against the law. So what is the point? You or I would be in legal trouble and probably unable to trade off testimony for a pardon

26 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Thanks for the info …. Did it allow them to charge someone else?

Harvey's testimony was used by the government to build their case against Eric Kay, the guy who sold the drugs that killed Skaggs. He was convicted and is facing 20 years to life in prison. His sentencing was scheduled for this Tuesday but must have been postponed, as no news has come out about it this week.

42 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

No he provided him drugs ….maybe even sold them to him. Drug distribution/dealing is against the law. So what is the point? You or I would be in legal trouble and probably unable to trade off testimony for a pardon

It is a crime, but there are probably dozens of players who are guilty of it.  I don’t like it, but it’s really a crime of stupidity in the case of someone like Harvey (as opposed to someone who sells illegal drugs for a living).   He’s lucky he wasn’t prosecuted but I don’t think it makes him an irredeemably bad guy.  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It is a crime, but there are probably dozens of players who are guilty of it.  I don’t like it, but it’s really a crime of stupidity in the case of someone like Harvey (as opposed to someone who sells illegal drugs for a living).   He’s lucky he wasn’t prosecuted but I don’t think it makes him an irredeemably bad guy.  

No more than it would make someone irredeemably bad to give their ailing wife a pain pill from a leftover prescription from the dentist.

It would be the same crime.

But hyperbole is king...

• Upvote 1

Just now, owknows said:

No more than it would make someone irredeemably bad to give their ailing wife a pain pill from a leftover prescription from the dentist.

It would be the same crime.

But hyperbole is king...

Or hand your buddy that doesn't have health insurance that half a bottle of Antibiotics you have in the cabinet.*

* Don't do that!  Take all the antibiotics you are prescribed and never give them out to others.  That's how we get resistant strains.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Or hand your buddy that doesn't have health insurance that half a bottle of Antibiotics you have in the cabinet.*

* Don't do that!  Take all the antibiotics you are prescribed and never give them out to others.  That's how we get resistant strains.

Interesting that you, a mere layman, are able to understand the idea of population stress resistance. Perhaps better than many physicians.

Kinda makes you wonder why we have to seek the permission of professionals who probably have the same competency distribution as any other profession (which is not a good thing).. in order to acquire medication.

But I digress.

3 minutes ago, owknows said:

Interesting that you, a mere layman, are able to understand the idea of population stress resistance. Perhaps better than many physicians.

Kinda makes you wonder why we have to seek the permission of professionals who probably have the same competency distribution as any other profession (which is not a good thing).. in order to acquire medication.

But I digress.

I used an online doctor site during the pandemic when I needed a prescription renewed.

I'm guessing you could use such a thing to secure a wide variety of prescriptions with little difficulty.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I guess you shouldn’t give your kids or wife some of your prescription cough syrup either. Husbands and wives everywhere would be prosecuted.  Be for real. Their guys in a locker room that are sharing all sorts of things. Sometimes B 12 shots. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I used an online doctor site during the pandemic when I needed a prescription renewed.

I'm guessing you could use such a thing to secure a wide variety of prescriptions with little difficulty.

I'm sure that is true, and pragmatically relevant.

But my critique still stands.

Don't really know why I need the permission of someone who undoubtedly knows less than me about my health, to purchase medication.

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I guess you shouldn’t give your kids or wife some of your prescription cough syrup either. Husbands and wives everywhere would be prosecuted.  Be for real. Their guys in a locker room that are sharing all sorts of things. Sometimes B 12 shots. 

No, you definitely should not do those things! I don't think people should go to jail necessarily but they are violating the terms of their prescription and stepping into "at your own risk" territory where bad things could happen.

I think we can all agree Harvey technically violated the law and was part of a culture of drug use that enabled a young man's death. There is some culpability there. Beyond that, how bad of a person that makes him is up to you. For me, it's enough that I want no part of him, but I might think differently if it was, say, Grayson Rodriguez who might actually be a good pitcher. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m just saying it’s not worth it to the Orioles based on his lousy production. The commitment is small but they could get 125 innings of 6.27 ERA ball from a guy without the strings.

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Cough syrup and B12 injections aren’t in the same class of drug as Percocet. I get your point but my whole point is that Harvey isn’t worth having based on his crappy production without his tarnished reputation.

10 minutes ago, owknows said:

I'm sure that is true, and pragmatically relevant.

But my critique still stands.

Don't really know why I need the permission of someone who undoubtedly knows less than me about my health, to purchase medication.

Because people abuse medications and can’t be trusted to self regulate. Not all people but enough that cause themselves harm or death.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Because people abuse medications and can’t be trusted to self regulate. Not all people but enough that cause themselves harm or death.

That would make more sense to me if I wasn't also aware of numerous cases of medically trained personnel overprescrbing medications or prescribing conflicting medications.

Not that you are wrong, just the current system isn't exactly right.