Matt Harvey close to minor league deal. (Update: signed)

MurphDogg

44 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Just because he went to Harvard doesn't make him smart.

He didn’t go to Harvard.  
“Elias was 18-5 as a high school pitcher. In college, he was 1-2 with a 4.08 ERA as a freshman in 2002 then 3-4 with a 5.44 ERA as a sophomore. He did not pitch in 2004 then allowed 8 runs in 9 1/3 IP in 2005, going 2-2 for Yale.”

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Mike_Elias

5 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

If our group of 2nd tier SP prospects are putting up 6.00 ERA's in Norfolk and/or our more established major league SP's get an injury bug, we may not have 5 "longer term options" to trot out there. 

And if they suck, you have GROd, Hall and Bradish right behind them.

Just keep putting them out there.  Harvey does nothing for the 2022 team.

Just now, Pickles said:

Because it very well explains this signing.

I know you guys have the luxury of not giving a crap about the personal aspects of an organization, but people who actually run organizations have to take these things into consideration.

Harvey comported as a professional last year.  He did what he was asked and never complained.  Presumably, they were likewise happy with his presence in the locker room and around the team.

These things have value.

Now, you don't give a guy a 20 million dollar deal based on it.  Or even a guaranteed roster spot.  But if you're just looking for a low maintenance break-only-in-case-of-emergency option, getting the one you're familiar with makes imminent sense.

Are you kidding me?

I know you like being the contrarian on here sometimes but this is a weird situation to flex on.

We absolutely do have the luxury of not giving a crap about the personal aspects of an organization, but then you go ahead and say "people who actually run organizations have to take these things into consideration."

Yeah, he was professional last year but that doesn't overlook the giant cloud that's hanging over this guy's head.  I said I don't care about it and I don't.  But there are plenty of others that do...and when you take into consideration his performance last year with the opioid situation and the death of a former teammate that he was directly involved in, I'm not sure how you can justify your stance on "people who actually run organizations have to take these things into consideration."

There are plenty of other players who could give a similar performance WITHOUT the negative aspect of Harvey's personal life.   Like you said, a low maintenance break-only-in-case-of-emergency is a fine signing.

But does it have to be the guy who's a former cocaine user and played a part in Tyler Skaggs' death?  It can't be someone else who doesn't have that baggage?

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He didn’t go to Harvard.  
“Elias was 18-5 as a high school pitcher. In college, he was 1-2 with a 4.08 ERA as a freshman in 2002 then 3-4 with a 5.44 ERA as a sophomore. He did not pitch in 2004 then allowed 8 runs in 9 1/3 IP in 2005, going 2-2 for Yale.”

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Mike_Elias

I know.  See my other post :) 

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Because it very well explains this signing.

I know you guys have the luxury of not giving a crap about the personal aspects of an organization, but people who actually run organizations have to take these things into consideration.

Harvey comported as a professional last year.  He did what he was asked and never complained.  Presumably, they were likewise happy with his presence in the locker room and around the team.

These things have value.

Now, you don't give a guy a 20 million dollar deal based on it.  Or even a guaranteed roster spot.  But if you're just looking for a low maintenance break-only-in-case-of-emergency option, getting the one you're familiar with makes imminent sense.

They have so much value that they waited until now to do this and the value for that is so high that they can't come to an agreement with their biggest soldier, pitching wise...Means.

Harvey is the one who should be kissing the Orioles asses, not the other way around.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Are you kidding me?

I know you like being the contrarian on here sometimes but this is a weird situation to flex on.

We absolutely do have the luxury of not giving a crap about the personal aspects of an organization, but then you go ahead and say "people who actually run organizations have to take these things into consideration."

Yeah, he was professional last year but that doesn't overlook the giant cloud that's hanging over this guy's head.  I said I don't care about it and I don't.  But there are plenty of others that do...and when you take into consideration his performance last year with the opioid situation and the death of a former teammate that he was directly involved in, I'm not sure how you can justify your stance on "people who actually run organizations have to take these things into consideration."

There are plenty of other players who could give a similar performance WITHOUT the negative aspect of Harvey's personal life.   Like you said, a low maintenance break-only-in-case-of-emergency is a fine signing.

But does it have to be the guy who's a former cocaine user and played a part in Tyler Skaggs' death?  It can't be someone else who doesn't have that baggage?

Well, organizations don't have to take into account drug issues...only that he ate some innings last year and was nice about it when he did.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And if they suck, you have GROd, Hall and Bradish right behind them.

Just keep putting them out there.  Harvey does nothing for the 2022 team.

Jeez you guys will complain about anything. Harvey might not even sniff an O's uniform. He's making next to nothing. The Orioles will play 162 games this year. That's at least 1458 innings. Not everyone of those 1458 innings will go to a potential prospect. Jordan Lyles is here for that reason. The Orioles are a team where the Chris Ellis, Spenser Watkins, and Matt Harvey's of the world are kept around in case things don't go smoothly. Matt Harvey will not block anyone from pitching in the majors, trust me. Maybe he pumps out a few good starts like he did in the 2nd half. 

3 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

Jeez you guys will complain about anything. Harvey might not even sniff an O's uniform. He's making next to nothing. The Orioles will play 162 games this year. That's at least 1458 innings. Not everyone of those 1458 innings will go to a potential prospect. Jordan Lyles is here for that reason. The Orioles are a team where the Chris Ellis, Spenser Watkins, and Matt Harvey's of the world are kept around in case things don't go smoothly. Matt Harvey will not block anyone from pitching in the majors, trust me. Maybe he pumps out a few good starts like he did in the 2nd half. 

Only dumb things and this is dumb, even if its only a MiL deal.  But they aren't signing him to not have him in Baltimore this year.  Unless he is completely awful or hurt or suspended, he will be in Baltimore at some point and that makes no sense.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Only dumb things and this is dumb, even if its only a MiL deal.  But they aren't signing him to not have him in Baltimore this year.  Unless he is completely awful or hurt or suspended, he will be in Baltimore at some point and that makes no sense.

Tell me who else should be cut from the organization since they "do nothing for the 2022 Orioles". 

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Are you kidding me?

I wonder what the O’s already knew about Harvey’s past drug use when they signed him last year.  There wasn’t much out there in public, but they may still have known in 2021 and decided to sign him anyway.

I have not followed the story that closely, but was Harvey really “directly involved” in Skaggs’ death?    Or was he just a party boy on the team who bought his drugs from the same source as Skaggs?

To be clear, I don’t want Harvey on the merits of his pitching, and I don’t want the PR headache either.   But, I don’t think we should overstate his connection to Skaggs’ death.