Grayson Rodriguez 2022

justD

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

That’s interesting, considering the reports from his camp was that it was nothing serious. I’m sure he’s tired of being held back for no reason. I wonder if there is a rift with the team over not being called up yet. 

A tear is a pretty easy diagnosis on an mri, it’s the degree that can get more complicated.

This would make the most sense if you’re debating between treatment options aka if surgery is on the table, and you’re trying to decide between surgery and rest. 

If the treatment isn’t in question, you just go in in a few weeks and get another mri to determine healing.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Corn said this many pages ago, but there is a strong correlation between velocity and effectiveness.  You can Google some studies, but more-or-less an average pitcher who throws 97 would be a 90th-percentile pitcher who throws 92.

In the beginning baseball was a sport where pitchers pitched, almost like in horseshoes. Underhand, stiff elbow and no snapping wrist, there were no called balls or strikes because it was expected that the pitcher would pitch the ball up so the hitter could put it in play.  The game was supposed to be a battle between hitters and fielders.  Pitchers could do that all day long with barely any risk of injury. The pitchers didn't cooperate. They threw as hard as they could without flagrantly breaking the rules.  Over time they convinced the powers-that-were to loosen up the rules.  So from about 1860-1884 they went from horseshoe pitching to essentially modern overhand deliveries, and the injury risk went from nothing to "dude, every single pitch you throw could be your last".

Our message board historian gives another lesson! 

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I interpret it the way @waroriole did and maybe Grayson feels like this isn't that serious an injury. And he wants to get back to work sooner. On the flip side like you mentioned it's also possible Grayson thinks this injury is being underplayed.

I'm going to be optimistic about it for now. 

Yeah I just assume Elias is going to be overly cautious with Grayson. 

7 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

FYI, 105.7 The Fan just reported Grayson Rodriguez is going to get a second opinion on his injury. Good idea, but hopefully this doesn’t balloon into anything more serious than what it already is. 

Omg you got to be kidding me….being an Oriole fan is torturous lol

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I guess the report might not make the same distinctions I do but to me the entity cited should be the one initiating the action.

Grayson is getting as opposed to the Orioles are getting...

While I agree with your POV here, there's also a reasonable way of writing this "Grayson is getting" in either version as he is the patient in question either way.

4 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Omg you got to be kidding me….being an Oriole fan is torturous lol

Found this tweet from Connolly and he reports it as a club ordered second opinion. 105.7 The Fan seemed to imply it was Grayson seeking the second opinion today. Either way it's not great, but probably just being overly cautious (I hope).

Feels season-ending in the context of any contribution to the 2022 Orioles making 1450 innings, which they still will need to do.

Even if it is 4-6 weeks down, it'll take another few weeks* to work back to the 90-pitch level just shy of the 100-pitch level Elias said he needs to attain.   Does still feel like enough time for him to be back to his full powers before the end of the season.

*being generous, it took from Spring Training to Memorial Day 2022 for him to get to ~90.

At the pause, year over year, his 835 pitches in 11 turns represented a 76-70 Pitches/Turn growth from 2021.

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

So if he goes to a qualified doctor who is unaffiliated with the Orioles and is given an accelerated timetable he should reconsider it?

Why?

I don't think he's going to Dr. Nick.

television-tv.gif

Opinions are just that.  People hear what they want to hear.   Not sure exactly what the “unaffiliated with Orioles” means, but the doc the Os use is probably not Dr Nick either

8 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Found this tweet from Connolly and he reports it as a club ordered second opinion. 105.7 The Fan seemed to imply it was Grayson seeking the second opinion today. Either way it's not great, but probably just being overly cautious (I hope).

Good work 

21 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Feels season-ending in the context of any contribution to the 2022 Orioles making 1450 innings, which they still will need to do.

Even if it is 4-6 weeks down, it'll take another few weeks* to work back to the 90-pitch level just shy of the 100-pitch level Elias said he needs to attain.   Does still feel like enough time for him to be back to his full powers before the end of the season.

*being generous, it took from Spring Training to Memorial Day 2022 for him to get to ~90.

At the pause, year over year, his 835 pitches in 11 turns represented a 76-70 Pitches/Turn growth from 2021.

Hoping they don’t stick to the 90 pitches threshold after rehab.  One or two starts to make sure he’s healthy is fine IMO.

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Hoping they don’t stick to the 90 pitches threshold after rehab.  One or two starts to make sure he’s healthy is fine IMO.

Any rehab start is going to included a progression. Keep in mind Means’ rehab last summer was 3 starts, so it’s not going to be 1 to 2