Coby Mayo 2022

ChuckS

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Mayo playing RF today in Bowie.  Maybe his future position. 

It makes sense to put give him some experiences out there. With Henderson probably long term slated for 3B, why not see how he looks in RF? He can still pretty easily move to 1B if needed.

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Mayo playing RF today in Bowie.  Maybe his future position. 

Glad to see this under way before the offseason.

I appreciate Clubs have a natural incentive to showcase prospects as far up the defensive spectrum as they can as a bargaining position for a transaction to be named later, but when a former Elias-Sig colleague like Kevin Goldstein writes Mayo as an OF in prospect reports last offseason (and has more credibility with me having no dog in the fight as a then Fangraphs writer), I worry a little about wasting reps at a position where he doesn't project.

Its fine if he is just too big and powerful a human to be a MLB infielder (or even if he can but just happens to be Gunnar Henderson and Jorge Mateo's teammate these years)...his job is to hit the snot out of the ball.

He is the size of Troy Glaus who played a perfectly good third.  But it makes sense to give him some outfield run. The Orioles are loaded with position players. Versatility will be of value potentially in the majors or in the trade market.  Mayo seems like a nice trade chip. 

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

He is the size of Troy Glaus who played a perfectly good third.  But it makes sense to give him some outfield run. The Orioles are loaded with position players. Versatility will be of value potentially in the majors or in the trade market.  Mayo seems like a nice trade chip. 

Seems like a nice future MOO bat for the Orioles, to me.

The injury this year did stink though. After starting in the hitter's graveyard of Aberdeen and then getting injured, it's time to see some production. I think it's coming.

16 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Glad to see this under way before the offseason.

I appreciate Clubs have a natural incentive to showcase prospects as far up the defensive spectrum as they can as a bargaining position for a transaction to be named later, but when a former Elias-Sig colleague like Kevin Goldstein writes Mayo as an OF in prospect reports last offseason (and has more credibility with me having no dog in the fight as a then Fangraphs writer), I worry a little about wasting reps at a position where he doesn't project.

Its fine if he is just too big and powerful a human to be a MLB infielder (or even if he can but just happens to be Gunnar Henderson and Jorge Mateo's teammate these years)...his job is to hit the snot out of the ball.

Agreed!  I have no issues with giving him a shot to stick at 3B.  Maybe he'll yet prove the naysayers (and I'm among that crew doubting he sticks at 3B) wrong like Gunnar has so far at SS.  But there comes a time when a decision has to be made.  Maybe it's an org decision (i.e. he's blocked or the position is too crowded) or a skill decision (his fielding just hasn't improved enough to man the hot corner).  

But as @LookinUp said Mayo's a hoss and can hit MOO as he grows into his potential!  Hard to trade away that type of guy.  If he doesn't have the range needed for OF, then try him at 1B even if 'wastes' his ++ arm.  If he can't get that position, there's always the Ortiz option.

If he can maintain a near 20% K% and 10% BB%, that plays with his power.  

2 minutes ago, justD said:

I was able to put together a little highlight video of his stint in RF from yesterday.  Nice assist, noted by a previous poster, starting at 0:29. 

Wow!  He got a lot of action!   That throw was strong, as you would expect.   Nice play by the 3B (Prieto ?) as well.

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Wow!  He got a lot of action!   That throw was strong, as you would expect.   Nice play by the 3B (Prieto ?) as well.

Yes, it was Prieto.  He looks really comfortable at 3B, although he has his lack-of-focus games as well, especially when not hitting, it seems.

A few observations on Mayo last night.  He was back at 3B for this game.  

1.  Both his hits were solid.  One a line single to the CF on one hop, the other a screaming line drive double that got to the LF wall so quickly I was worried the LF’s throw to 2B might beat Mayo, but it didn’t.  It wasn’t right down the foul line but was hit so hard that the LF had no chance to cut it off before it got to the wall.

2.  He struck out the other two times and the second one was especially bad, as he swung at a change-up that bounced about a foot in front of home plate and then was overmatched on two high heaters that probably weren’t strikes.   

3.  He made 3-4 throws from 3B and definitely showed the arm strength people talk about.  A couple of times when he let it go I thought the throw would hit the ground but the ball had enough zip where the 1B caught it knee high.   

4.  There was one really hot smash hit right at him where he completely matadored it and it went into LF for a hit.  Probably not an error but a good 3B stays in front of that ball and has time to throw out the runner after knocking it down. 

My guess is Mayo will begin next year back at Bowie, having missed almost 4 weeks with an injury following his promotion.  He’ll end up with about 40 - 45 games at Bowie this summer if he stays healthy from here.

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...