Coby Mayo 2022

ChuckS

Mayo at Aberdeen: .251/.326/.494

Mayo at Bowie: .250/.331/.398

Consudering that Mayo maintained his BA and OBP once promoted, it’s surprising to see his SLG go down at Bowie, which is generally an easier place than Aberdeen to hit for power.  But in any event, a solid season for the 20-year old.  I expect him to return to Bowie fir the early part of next season and he’ll have a good shot at a promotion to Norfolk as the year progresses.  

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=5&stats=bat&qual=100&type=0&team=&season=2022&seasonEnd=2022&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=3,-1

Here are this year's Eastern League bats with 100 PA (Mayo attained 140)....he was 5th youngest.    Even by year end AA callups, Gunnar stuck in the Top 10 for AA, though he's enjoyed success at higher levels.

If anybody in the org follows the Gunnar supernova path next year, he's the one.    The aura around 1-1's, you kind of half hope, half expect Jackson Holliday to excel.

14 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=5&stats=bat&qual=100&type=0&team=&season=2022&seasonEnd=2022&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=3,-1

Here are this year's Eastern League bats with 100 PA (Mayo attained 140)....he was 5th youngest.    Even by year end AA callups, Gunnar stuck in the Top 10 for AA, though he's enjoyed success at higher levels.

If anybody in the org follows the Gunnar supernova path next year, he's the one.    The aura around 1-1's, you kind of half hope, half expect Jackson Holliday to excel.

The one thing we have to not do is try and compare to Mayo to Henderson. I've been as big on Mayo as anyone, but Henderson may be a generational type talent. 

At 21 years old next year, if Mayo can have a Norby-like AA season we all should be very happy.

• Upvote 2

On 9/19/2022 at 9:27 AM, Frobby said:

Hmmm, so who started this thread?  😉

Haha,

What I mean is people should not be EXPECTING the same rise as Gunnar had because he is so special. Honestly, I was doing that comparison for my myself to see how he stacked up to Henderson and Mountcastle at the same age/level to see if he was a disappointment in the first half. 

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Haha,

What I mean is people should not be EXPECTING the same rise as Gunnar had because he is so special. Honestly, I was doing that comparison for my myself to see how he stacked up to Henderson and Mountcastle at the same age/level to see if he was a disappointment in the first half. 

I understand, I just couldn’t resist the opportunity.   You’d never expect a player to blow up the way Henderson did this year, and we shouldn’t expect Mayo to do that.  He’s still in a good spot for a 20-year old.   With solid progress he can be knocking on the door by the end of next year.  

Its funny because COVID threw Gunnar to Bowie mini-camp with Adley and major league Up-Down guys, and now it seems like he batches with them and Mayo is a generation behind, when in real life they would have been a grade apart all through school, and are 6 months apart.

Mayo 2023 is mouthwatering as a test of "What if Gunnar 2022 has a big chunk of Orioles Player Development signal to it?".     Mayo will enter next year with a bigger AA taste than Gunnar got last year.

Ben Lindbergh and Travis Sawchik used a lot of Old Guy Justin Turner type stories in their book The MVP Machine, but for sure cutting edge Clubs are trying to figure out the optimal ways to put those skills in Young Guys while also doing the smoke and mirrors stuff like helping Austin Voth with his breaking ball.

Orioles Incumbents of recent years are mostly safe from Cowser next spring as I believe he will slide into the Mancini slot Stowers hasn't yet taken strong hold of, but if Mayo shows himself ready for his Gunnar trademark 125 at-bats next fall, I think it will stress the laggard between Hays, Santander and Mountcastle if everyone is still around.