Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

1 hour ago, CharmCityHokie said:

The clamoring to trade for Felix Pie (long before he showed up on the Orioles as a washed-up prospect) was intense and makes me think of the Lastings Milledge/Elijah Duke/Brandon Wood obsessions. Sometimes it amazes me that we struck gold with getting Adam Jones given the overall success rate. 

I remember a time when some people on here wanted to trade Adam Jones and keep Felix Pie.

On 6/2/2022 at 2:13 PM, Absltgreek said:

Jon Meoli said as much in his Newsletter yesterday, re: Cowser, without quoting the whole thing (as it's paid and all):

"Cowser said he was focused on one zone and striking out as a result..."

"I felt like I was trying to do, not do too much, but I was really honing in on one specific pitch and I was taking a lot of pitches on the corners. That’s not something I would normally have done, I usually hit it where it’s pitched. I’m starting to get back to that now.”

"Cowser said finding the balance between being himself and being a hitter in the Orioles’ mold is “something that I’m learning to do."

"Instead of chasing home runs, Cowser’s goals for the rest of the season are simple. He wants to close the walk-to-strikeout rate back up, and his May is going a long way to that end"

Basically it sounds like he's saying diplomatically that the Orioles hitting philosophy screwed him up and he's trying to go back to what made him successful. In his last 10 games he's got a 10-6 BB-k ratio but is batting just .192 with only three extra base hits.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Basically it sounds like he's saying diplomatically that the Orioles hitting philosophy screwed him up and he's trying to go back to what made him successful. In his last 10 games he's got a 10-6 BB-k ratio but is batting just .192 with only three extra base hits.

No system is going to be the best fit for everyone.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Absolutely. Hopefully the org will realize this as they move forward!

Maybe they already realize it.   It's certain from looking at hitter statistics that not every hitter is a strict adherent to any one philosphy.   Also, we don't know how strongly they suggest doing things "their" way.    Are they suggesting what they believe is an optimum way of looking for a pitch to hit and putting your best swing on it or are they saying to do it this way?       

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Looked terrific last year! Longer we are awful, we draft higher! Genius! Friendly reminder Jordan Lawlar tearing it up, he was the pick. Awful decision regardless how it turns out. 

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Looked terrific last year! Longer we are awful, we draft higher! Genius! Friendly reminder Jordan Lawlar tearing it up, he was the pick. Awful decision regardless how it turns out. 

Awful decision no matter how it turns out?  That doesn't seem fair to me.   

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Please stop with the Jordan Lawlar stuff.  It’s over.  We didn’t draft him.  We don’t need to be reminded every other day that you think Lawlar was a better choice.  It’s noted.  Let’s just follow what Cowser does and hope for the best.   

GMs make bad decisions all the time but the reluctance to call this one out boggles my mind. 

2 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

GMs make bad decisions all the time but the reluctance to call this one out boggles my mind. 

I wanted Lawler at the time of the draft too. It’s too early to say that Cowser was a bad pick. After two months, that’s silly, honestly. There is a long way to go.

Lawler was thought to have a slow bat compared to other elite bats by many teams last year. He had a lot of swing and miss as well. Lawler had a shoulder injury last season that shut him down shortly after signing. There were many factors into the decision, the bonus demands were part of the equation.

Development is a process. Cowser does not seem to have taken to the Orioles philosophy thus far. It may just be poor communication by the coaches. We’ll see what happens with this. Personally, I think Cowser will hit for high average, high OBP and average power. More 2B than HR, gap to gap type power. 

• Upvote 1